User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Value of NRVTA training

Any other RV newbies that took the National RV Training Academy self-study? Was it of value?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just finished 6 weeks of classes at this school. The RV fundamentals is a good class for any owner.

The fundamentals class is a prerequisite for the courses needed in in order to take the exam to become a certified technician:

Refrigerators
    Exteriors
    Air Conditioners
    Water Heaters / Furnaces

The certification exam is given on a Saturday and consists of a written test followed by a hands on diagnostic session in which you have to troubleshoot two refrigerators, two air conditioners, one furnace and one water heater.

I elected to stay another week to take the generators class which I am glad I did.

The school, instructors, facilities, course materials along with the hands on labs are outstanding in my opinion. There is considerable material devoted to understanding electrical theory and practice.

I would be glad to share my experiences with anyone interested in attending the school.

Dan

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ReiMan1776 View Post
    I just finished 6 weeks of classes at this school. The RV fundamentals is a good class for any owner.

The fundamentals class is a prerequisite for the courses needed in in order to take the exam to become a certified technician:

Refrigerators
    Exteriors
    Air Conditioners
    Water Heaters / Furnaces

The certification exam is given on a Saturday and consists of a written test followed by a hands on diagnostic session in which you have to troubleshoot two refrigerators, two air conditioners, one furnace and one water heater.

I elected to stay another week to take the generators class which I am glad I did.

The school, instructors, facilities, course materials along with the hands on labs are outstanding in my opinion. There is considerable material devoted to understanding electrical theory and practice.

I would be glad to share my experiences with anyone interested in attending the school.

Dan
    Please send me the details using the forum msging. Thank you!
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be curious to know if CANBUS theory was discussed as most of the new RVs use some sort of CANBUS communication now in place of physical switches for lights, etc and to include HVAC control via CANBUS instead of a convention RV style thermostat

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper02 View Post
    I would be curious to know if CANBUS theory was discussed as most of the new RVs use some sort of CANBUS communication now in place of physical switches for lights, etc and to include HVAC control via CANBUS instead of a convention RV style thermostat
    Nothing in detail on these advance control panels except being able to access error codes. Much of the training involves trouble shooting to isolate a issue or failed component. This is in contrast to those who we refer to as "parts swappers" those who pull and replace components until an issue is solved.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper02 View Post
    Back in the day I was a TV repairman for a few years before I started teaching electronics. RCA in their infinite wisdom in about 1995 decided to use a data bus for the microprocessor to "talk" to the tuner, video chip and audio chips. Well about 99% of the techs out there couldn't fix the sets after that. I worked for 20 years in electronics and don't have any problems working on any of the high tech stuff including my John Deere tractors but expecting a RV, or automotive, or farm equipment tech to work on this stuff without a lot more than a 6 week course in electricity is poor thinking. I think every shop needs a tech with a 2 year degree in Electronics that can actually diagnose and repair vs just parts swapping
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717