Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Titan Fuel Tank Question

I have a 2020 Ford F250 (Crew Cab, Short Bed) with the 6.7L diesel. I have ordered the Titan 55 Gallon tank to replace the stock 34 gallon tank and have a question about updates that I need to do to the truck following installation. I am having the Titan dealer do the install.

I have an OBD adapter and am planning on using Forscan to update the tank size so that the Distance to Empty calculates the correct range. However I was wondering if there was anything I needed to do so that the fuel gauge itself reads correctly? Will the existing sending unit, once installed on the new tank, operate correctly so that the fuel gauge is accurate?

Matt & Michelle
    Tennessee
    2021 Imagine 3250BH
    2020 Ford F250 6.7L

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MemphisRebel82 View Post
    However I was wondering if there was anything I needed to do so that the fuel gauge itself reads correctly? Will the existing sending unit, once installed on the new tank, operate correctly so that the fuel gauge is accurate?
    I had a 60 gallon Transfer Flow tank installed in my truck a couple months ago and it came with a new sending unit. I'm not familiar with Titan tanks but I suspect it will also come with a new sending unit. I would think all auxiliary tank manufacturers would need to include new sending units unless the depth of the tank and mounting position of the sending unit were identical (not likely with a much larger tank).
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced the 29 gallon tank in my 2014 Ram Dually with a Titan 50 Gallon tank. I did not get a new sending unit. the fuel gauge shows full for a LONG time! Once it comes off of full, it appears to be pretty accurate on the miles to empty. I thought it was off and that there was more fuel than it said and I ran out of fuel, so now when it says 50 miles to empty I am looking seriously for a fuel stop.

Hope this helps, you mileage may vary.
    George
    George and Connie
    Commerce City, CO
    Webpilot
    Solitude 380FL
    2014 Ram 3500 Dually
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the titan xl replacement 65 gallons on my 2014 f450, with the tank shield ,and also used forscan to change the tank size. You don't need to do anything else, i used the stock sending unit and the fuel gauge works properly. My fuel light warning indicator now comes on at 60 dte, before the new tank it was 50 dte , suspect that is based on some computer calculations not really sure.
    When I fill up instant dte reads 999 for the first 10 or 20 miles, depending on avg mpg the computer's last calculation were but then it starts dropping like it should. I've gone 950 miles between fill ups not towing anything.
    I started resetting trip A and the instant dte screen at every fill up , i like the trip meter as it shows gallons used vs miles left that the instant dte screen shows so that is what is usually on my information screen. And I reset the B meter at every oil change.
    One of the best upgrades I've done, really happy with the titan. Only drawback is the price

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Titan 65 used OEM sending unit. So just updating tank size was all that was needed.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard back from Titan Fuel Tanks and wanted to post their reply here, in case a member in the future was using the Search function for a similar question. Note that I asked specifically about the 55 gallon tank for a 2020 Ford F250 (Crew Cab Short Bed), Titan Tank #7020217 .

"You use the stock sending unit. Our tanks are designed so that the deck height (where the sending unit mounts) is the same as the stock tank. The reason that the Distance Till Empty and similar reading are incorrect is because the tank size is programmed into the ECU, the calculations are done off of the float which sends a signal to the ECU which them does the calculations to provide those electronic readings. Yes, the fuel gauge will read accurate with our tank, there are no added steps needed."

Matt & Michelle
    Tennessee
    2021 Imagine 3250BH
    2020 Ford F250 6.7L

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now all you need to do is update your DTE with FORScan.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are the forscan values for differnt tank sizes. Make a copy of your as-built data before you modify anything in case you make a mistake and need to go back.
    720-01-02
    87B0 **** 26 Gallon Fuel Tank
    8846 **** 28 Gallon Fuel Tank
    8A58 **** 35 Gallon Fuel Tank
    8B16 **** 37.5 Gallon Fuel Tank
    8BD4 **** 40 Gallon Fuel Tank
    8EC8 **** 50 Gallon Fuel Tank
    9338 **** 65 Gallon Fuel Tank
    BD** 40 Gallon Rear Fuel Tank
    EC** 50 Gallon Rear Fuel Tank

Also FWIW my 65 gallon hangs down about 2 inches further than the stock tank..its about 1 inch for the tank and 1 for the shield. Not sure what, if any, the 50 gallon deducts from your ground clearance
    Last edited by palmeris; 09-17-2020 at 12:41 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by palmeris View Post
    Here are the forscan values for differnt tank sizes.
    The codes for 2020 Superduties are different and you have to make three changes...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 11.42.46 AM.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	29585
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MemphisRebel82 View Post
    I have a 2020 Ford F250 (Crew Cab, Short Bed) with the 6.7L diesel. I have ordered the Titan 55 Gallon tank to replace the stock 34 gallon tank and have a question about updates that I need to do to the truck following installation. I am having the Titan dealer do the install.

I have an OBD adapter and am planning on using Forscan to update the tank size so that the Distance to Empty calculates the correct range. However I was wondering if there was anything I needed to do so that the fuel gauge itself reads correctly? Will the existing sending unit, once installed on the new tank, operate correctly so that the fuel gauge is accurate?

How do you like your Titan 55 gallon tank? I'm considering getting one installed. It's not cheap, so I'm curious if you had any issues or if there were any unexpected consequences. Did you forgo any rock shield?
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast