User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electricians - Replace OEM Converter with upgrade or not?

I apparently have to replace my Reflection 150 295RL converter (WFCO WF-9855) which crapped out I assume after a 30Amp service was installed with polarity reversed. (now fixed.) Power outlet is hot, no unit hum, no fan, no DC voltage from 12V leads, fuses OK. This is the stock unit that came installed in the RV.

I am currently using a flooded lead acid deep cycle battery. I may want to upgrade to AGM someday. I have read that some converters can't supply a booster voltage (?) these AGM batteries need.

As a replacement converter unit (same model, but with a Lithium Switch (?)) is 175.00 USD, is there a similar converter that will power the battery I have but be able to handle an AGM battery in the future that doesn't break the bank? Or should I replace with OEM (is the LI switch an issue?) for reasons I don't know yet?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
    Ram 2500 Hemi V8 6.4L Long Bed
    2021 Reflection 150 295RL

"If you're going to shoot, SHOOT. Don't talk."

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would put in what you would want for the future no matter what it cost
    No point in doing it twice imo

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I would put in what you would want for the future no matter what it cost
    Yes, I'd love to go hard-core solar with the full lithium setup unfortunately I need to stay married for now and my SO would not be cool with the outlay right now.

I don't know enough as to whether some units will damage a conventional battery or if they have the "smart circuitry" to know which one it is they are charging. Most even need a hard wired jumper to tell them to provide LI voltage.

Do you have any recommendations? Especially converters with plug-in capability as direct wiring to the board is not an option for now.

Thanks.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey PharmaDoc, I know you said the fuses are ok, however check the two fuses on the back of the power converter with a meter. You can visually inspect them however it is best to check them for continuity with a meter. Remove them and check across the leads. The fuses are accessable without removing the cover and designed to protect for hooking the battery up backwards.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Progressive Dynamics makes a series of converters. They may be an alternative for you.

Like NB Canada said - you might want to spring for a few dollars more if you think you may end up with Lithium batteries one day. But if you think a few more bucks for a better converter is a lot, wait 'til you see what a Lithium battery costs...

And as PharmaDoc said, be sure you converter is really "toast" before replacing it.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 08-02-2021 at 03:52 PM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXkmpr View Post
    Hey PharmaDoc, I know you said the fuses are ok, however check the two fuses on the back of the power converter with a meter. You can visually inspect them however it is best to check them for continuity with a meter. Remove them and check across the leads. The fuses are accessable without removing the cover and designed to protect for hooking the battery up backwards.
    Yes did that they are good. Unit is cooked by all tests I can think off.

Any recommendations for a better converter with a cord on it already? I'm not able to deal with direct wiring right now.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A better converter with an A/C cord attached is the Progressive Dynamics PD9260-CV. It is made for lead acid and AGM batteries but not Lithium.

The have some good info on their website, go to the service tab and read through the different sections that might interest you. Battery basics, Battery Management, FAQ's.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply and the validation - I ordered this exact model yesterday from the eTrailer.com site.

For some reason Amazon only had the direct wire option available.

Should be here Wednesday.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can only speak from what the converter manual that came with my converter says. It is a three stage charger & that is sufficient for AGM batteries but not lithium.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought our 2015 Reflection 303RLS in mid 2014. In 2015 I upgraded our 12 volt power with a PD9260CV, two Trojan T-105 lead acid batteries and a TM-2030-RV monitor. I normally leave the trailer plugged in to shore power. It is still going strong six years later. I put an automotive battery load tester on the batteries this morning and they checked out fine. The PD9260CV switches to storage mode to maintain the batteries and changes to 14.4 volts every 21 hours for 15 minutes to prevent sulfation of the battery plates.
    Paul and Debbie
    Southern California
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 Ram 3500 Megacab SRW 4x4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast