Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

230RL Adding Inverter, How to Route Wiring from Inverter to Load

I plan to install an inverter near my battery. I'd like to run an extension cord from it to the the TV bay. I'd really like to run it above the underbelly cover. How difficult would that be? Is there a better path?
    Thanks.
    2020 Grand Design 230 RL
    2019 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday I completed the installation of the inverter and a second battery. The wiring from the inverter to the Television/Blu-Ray Player turned out to be pretty easy once I removed the wall between the basement and the back of the cabinetry in the kitchen. I ran 14/2 cable from the battery location to a dedicated wall outlet I installed right behind the TV - I used a white outlet to distinguish it from the black shore power outlet. The stiff cable made routing much easier! I mounted the 180-watt inverter on the back wall of the front storage area, within 18-inches or so of the battery and wired a three-prong male plug to the 14/2 cable.

The dear wife decided she did want a second battery installed, so I bought a Duracell 27DCX at Sams' Club. I mounted a plastic tote that I had which was big enough to hold both batteries over the stock battery box and secured it to the metal floor with a few screws - I added a piece of Luan for a bit more structural support in the bottom of the tote. I then cut a couple of holes in the side of the tote for the battery cables, mounted a PVC fitting as a vent on the tote's lid - the vent hose clamps to it and runs up to the stock outside vent cover, finally I added a couple of 1" vent holes in the bottom and installed the batteries. The bottom vent holes align with the bottom of the stock battery box, so I have have both lower and upper vents to allow for good ventilation.

I disconnected from shore power, plugged the wire into the inverter and powered it on, then checked the TV/Blu-ray - everything worked perfectly.

The next step in the evolution would be AGM or Lithium batteries and a larger inverter IF we wanted to run anything other than the TV/Blu-ray player....but that can wait.

I appreciate all the advice and guidance I was given through other threads in this forum...it really is a gold mine of info!

God bless y'all.
    2020 Grand Design 230 RL
    2019 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel