Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magnetic door catches

This is on a 2021 303RLS. On the street side the basement door is a two door arrangement. The right side 1/2 door opens vertically and mates up with the corresponding magnet fine. The left 1/2 door opens horizontally. But before the door magnets can mate up, the latch handles from the propane access door get in the way.
    I would have to space out the magnet on the wall about 15mm in order for the magnets to contact each other.
    Did anybody else come up with a fix/remedy for this?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    This is on a 2021 303RLS. On the street side the basement door is a two door arrangement. The right side 1/2 door opens vertically and mates up with the corresponding magnet fine. The left 1/2 door opens horizontally. But before the door magnets can mate up, the latch handles from the propane access door get in the way.
    I would have to space out the magnet on the wall about 15mm in order for the magnets to contact each other.
    Did anybody else come up with a fix/remedy for this?
    My rig (also a 2021 303) works exactly as it should. IIRC the forward magnet has a small/thin spacer behind it, as well as the magnet on the door. Holds the door securely, as long as the propane door is closed. My trailer is at the storage lot right now, but I can look this week if it helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Sabredriver, but no need to make a special trip. I thought others may have run into the same issue but I guess I have a one off issue. I checked to make sure the propane door is closed tightly, I measured the height of the magnets.
    One thing I just noticed last night was the face of the swinging door seems somewhat convex, maybe causing the issue?
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Sabredriver, but no need to make a special trip. I thought others may have run into the same issue but I guess I have a one off issue. I checked to make sure the propane door is closed tightly, I measured the height of the magnets.
    One thing I just noticed last night was the face of the swinging door seems somewhat convex, maybe causing the issue?
    My 303 came home from storage today. With the baggage door open and magnets touching, there is just over 1/4” between the baggage door and the propane door latches. I need to check the baggage door for any curve, but it looks flat and clears the latches. It wouldn’t take much to cause the door to not let magnet catch hold the door open. It’s tight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just make up some spacers. A piece of Starboard or a trip to the auto parts store and get a set of generic, flat plastic mud flaps. Pop your magnet off, trace it, and cut out your spacer. Might need longer screws if you need a lot of additional height.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Just make up some spacers. A piece of Starboard or a trip to the auto parts store and get a set of generic, flat plastic mud flaps. Pop your magnet off, trace it, and cut out your spacer. Might need longer screws if you need a lot of additional height.
    I think I found the cause. Put a straight edge on the door face....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	303door.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	33159
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I found the cause. Put a straight edge on the door face....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	303door.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	33159
    Wow, yeah, that definitely would do it! A picture for Grand Design Customer Service to get a new baggage door on its way.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania