Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Upgrade fresh water tank capacity

Hello everyone!

Our 2400BH only has a 50 gallon capacity, which we struggle with when we're camping for more than a couple days in the middle of nowhere. I'm about to just get a polymer 55gal to keep in the truck, and transfer pump.

I am wondering if anyone has tried:

A - Purchasing/installing a larger tank for this camper model or similar (if even possible)

or

B - Purchased an auxiliary tank to store on the camper somehow

Any ideas, stories, suggestions, recommendations, etc., are all welcome.

TIA.

-Campfam
    2016 F350 6.7 Powerstroke SRW Platinum short bed
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    Cummins Onan P4500i Invertor Generator

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My problem with water is the weight but you seem to have the TV that can handle extra. Probably best to add an extra tank in the TV bed. Just my 2 cents and not out of experience.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, weight is always an issue. Keeping the tank in the truck means no removing it until I empty it. We unhook and drive around a lot where we camp. The place I'd put an aux tank is the front storage, but that adds a lot of tongue weight and I'm not even sure the floor of that storage space is rated for. I have air bags on the truck, but I still need a weight distribution hitch.

Thanks for your reply.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The spoiled dogs ride there. Haha

But I'm not sure my seats fold like yours do. The 2016 has the fold up seat and there is compartments in the way.

Good idea though for extra water space. Thanks. I actually pack a 5 gallon deal for dog water, washing hands outside, rinsing pots/pans. etc. I just set it on a camp table.

To clarify, what I'm really looking for us to be able to shower once a day at least for 3-4 camp days without worrying about water.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a F350 so you should have plenty of payload to spare. I would simply install a water tank of some sort in the bed of your truck - maybe where an auxillary fuel tank would go. Then just use your transfer pump to transfer the water. I would not bother trying to add 400-500 lbs to the trailer. The truck can easily handle the weight.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They certainly don't work with our 6 gallon water heater. We shower fast, of course. It just seems that with one shower per person ( me and wife), plus dishes, plus occasionally wetting the dogs down with the outside nozzle when it's really hot out, we run out of water quick quick. So it's like a paranoia thing I suppose, we've never actually ran out but the entire camp trip I'm watching it. When we have kids, if we don't have a new camper or something, I'm gonna end up being the water police.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    You have a F350 so you should have plenty of payload to spare. I would simply install a water tank of some sort in the bed of your truck - maybe where an auxillary fuel tank would go. Then just use your transfer pump to transfer the water. I would not bother trying to add 400-500 lbs to the trailer. The truck can easily handle the weight.
    I agree. The more I think about it and look into equipment, the better I think that idea is. That way also if we did run out somehow, I could just take the truck and tank to town to get water.....and beer.

Occasionally, my wife and I have our dirtbikes in the bed of the truck though. I can position them to keep the tailgate up for the camper. So I'll just have to find a tank that'll work with that.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by campfam View Post
    Hello everyone!

Our 2400BH only has a 50 gallon capacity, which we struggle with when we're camping for more than a couple days in the middle of nowhere. I'm about to just get a polymer 55gal to keep in the truck, and transfer pump.

I am wondering if anyone has tried:

A - Purchasing/installing a larger tank for this camper model or similar (if even possible)

or

B - Purchased an auxiliary tank to store on the camper somehow

Any ideas, stories, suggestions, recommendations, etc., are all welcome.

TIA.

-Campfam
    One big thing that has not been said in this discussion is that you probably do not have the "Cargo Carrying Capacity" to add another fresh water tank to your trailer. Many campers have less than 1,000 lbs Cargo Carrying Capacity with empty Propane and water tanks. Consequently, when you fill your fresh water tank (50 gal x 8.33 lbs = 416 lbs) and your Propane tanks you have very little weight available for your camping goodies and clothes, so adding an extra fresh water storage tank would probably exceed the weight rating of your trailer.

The other thing to consider is where are you going to store the extra waste water? Your Black and Grey tanks might not hold an extra 50 gallons of waste water. While it has been mentioned that in some places you might be allowed to dump the grey water from your bath/shower tank, NO PLACE WILL ALLOW YOU TO DUMP YOUR KITCHEN WATER on the ground.

Your best bet is to train your family to conserve water while camping so that you could get closer to four days on your existing tanks. There are many tricks to extend your onboard water, such as: "Navy" showers and wiping off your plates with a napkin before washing and not running the water while rinsing the dishes that could extend your existing 50 gallons to 4 or more days.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by campfam View Post
    I agree. The more I think about it and look into equipment, the better I think that idea is. That way also if we did run out somehow, I could just take the truck and tank to town to get water.....and beer.

Occasionally, my wife and I have our dirtbikes in the bed of the truck though. I can position them to keep the tailgate up for the camper. So I'll just have to find a tank that'll work with that.
    Based on what you have said, I would recommend you get a Water Bladder that can be easily stored when not in use. It fits inside the truck bed and can be folded up and out of the way when you don't need it. You can easily couple this with a 12v SureFlo water pump to transfer the water into your camper. The added advantage of this solution is you will have an extra Water Pump with you in case your existing Water Pump fails while you are out camping.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the replies. Lots of good info! I had figured out I could slap this tank: https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Fresh-Wa...rra/R8060.html into the space behind the water and battery console in the pass through storage area, with this pump: https://www.amazon.com/Diaphragm-Pri...XVNBG7ARM1AGB5

Then run temp wire and clamps to my batteries when I want to run the pump, and it would be plumbed into my fresh water inlet. This all sounded cool, but I've decided against it for a few reasons. I also have not consulted with Grand Design, there is also the possibility they would say not to do such a thing.

Reasons not to:
    1. Just because you have a good idea and think you are a creative engineer, doesn't mean you should do it.
    2. Loss of storage space
    3. Filling/draining/winterizing of aux tank hassle
    4. Water leak in storage area, damage??
    5. If not in use, total waste of space
    6. If you still ran out of water, you'd be hauling the whole camper to water anyway
    7. The other option is better - water bladder.

I am going to get a water bladder that can fold up when not in use. If I need it, I can just take the truck to water and fill it up. It should be able to gravity feed into the fresh water fill on the side of the camper from the truck. If it needs a pump, I'll deal with that when it comes to it. For grey water storage limitations with extra fresh, I suppose I'll deal with that when the time comes as well.

Water bladder: https://www.amazon.com/AQUATANK2-Wat...H0T5FTVZHQ80F7

When we get out camping and use this, I will post updates as to how it went! Thanks again everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast