User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for clarity; there are very few places where dumping gray water is legal and none where it's a good idea.

The biggest reasons (AFAIK) are the those food particles. It seems like nothing to us, but it's a bounty to small wildlife. That its mixed with soapy chemical poisons mean pure havoc for those animals. 'Biodegradable' soaps are a joke. Remember that animals will drink spilled radiator fluid! The plants won't thank you either.

Then consider that you are one of many (and more every year) to visit any particular site. There are no longer places where no modern people have been. Every secret boondocking place is not so private unless you own the land. Imagine the mess and stink of 50 gallons a week!
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    Just for clarity; there are very few places where dumping gray water is legal and none where it's a good idea.

The biggest reasons (AFAIK) are the those food particles. It seems like nothing to us, but it's a bounty to small wildlife. That its mixed with soapy chemical poisons mean pure havoc for those animals. 'Biodegradable' soaps are a joke. Remember that animals will drink spilled radiator fluid! The plants won't thank you either.

Then consider that you are one of many (and more every year) to visit any particular site. There are no longer places where no modern people have been. Every secret boondocking place is not so private unless you own the land. Imagine the mess and stink of 50 gallons a week!
    In CA, at the height of the drought, they were collecting water from sinks and showers in restrooms to water nearby vegetation. No food particles there though.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I copied these guys.

Huge fresh water tank in the truck with 12 volt pump.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PuN9WvyOt_0

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by campfam View Post
    Hello everyone!

Our 2400BH only has a 50 gallon capacity, which we struggle with when we're camping for more than a couple days in the middle of nowhere. I'm about to just get a polymer 55gal to keep in the truck, and transfer pump.

I am wondering if anyone has tried:

A - Purchasing/installing a larger tank for this camper model or similar (if even possible)

or

B - Purchased an auxiliary tank to store on the camper somehow

Any ideas, stories, suggestions, recommendations, etc., are all welcome.

TIA.

-Campfam
    Back when we started camping with our two younger children I realized that water will be used for everything, and then the tank will be empty. Our first trailer had an opening where water could be poured in with 5 gallon jugs. That changed with our 1987 Layton which still had a hole for filling but it was vertical on the wall. Due to a warranty disagreement over a leaking freshwater tank (that I fixed with a hot butter knife), we ended up with a new 40 gallon water tank. I built a cart and put a 12 volt marine pump in that new tank. That solved our "hauling and pouring" problem, but did not solve our usage problem...

Now, with just my wife and I in our Solitude for a 15 day, dry camp vacation, I still had to refill the water every three days, and that was taking it easy. We flush the toilet, make at least 3 quarts of Iced tea + ice per day, wash hands and dishes, etc. (but no showers). Then my brother showed me the "Water Mi$er" he got with his new trailer. It saves water both from the fresh water tank as well as not putting extra into the gray water tank(s) while waiting for hot water. It runs the cold (not yet hot) water back into the fresh water tank until a sensor shows that the water at the faucet is hot. We bought two of them for the kitchen and bathroom sinks. We use the bathhouses at the parks for showers when dry camping.

Because we have both Gray water tanks with individual dump valves and a single "final" valve at the outlet we can let both tanks merge together which gives us almost 100 gallons of gray water storage.

Outcome: My wife and I can now dry camp for 15 nights and never fill the gray water, and only have to refill the freshwater 3-4 times. Woohoo.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 23bhe and my fresh water tank is just below the dinette. I could easily put a couple of water tanks under the dinette seats. I would have to move around the existing water pump but since the tank fill is right outside I feel certain I could tap into that spout and let it gravity fill the main tank. That said I'm not sure I would do it. I'd either carry a couple 7 gallon portable tanks or add a second tank to the truck to transfer over. Or, learn to use less water. I do usually carry a 5 gallon spare all the time as I don't often tow with tanks full.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the replies. Lots of good info! I had figured out I could slap this tank: https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Fresh-Wa...rra/R8060.html into the space behind the water and battery console in the pass through storage area, with this pump: https://www.amazon.com/Diaphragm-Pri...XVNBG7ARM1AGB5

Then run temp wire and clamps to my batteries when I want to run the pump, and it would be plumbed into my fresh water inlet. This all sounded cool, but I've decided against it for a few reasons. I also have not consulted with Grand Design, there is also the possibility they would say not to do such a thing.

Reasons not to:
    1. Just because you have a good idea and think you are a creative engineer, doesn't mean you should do it.
    2. Loss of storage space
    3. Filling/draining/winterizing of aux tank hassle
    4. Water leak in storage area, damage??
    5. If not in use, total waste of space
    6. If you still ran out of water, you'd be hauling the whole camper to water anyway
    7. The other option is better - water bladder.

I am going to get a water bladder that can fold up when not in use. If I need it, I can just take the truck to water and fill it up. It should be able to gravity feed into the fresh water fill on the side of the camper from the truck. If it needs a pump, I'll deal with that when it comes to it. For grey water storage limitations with extra fresh, I suppose I'll deal with that when the time comes as well.

Water bladder: https://www.amazon.com/AQUATANK2-Wat...H0T5FTVZHQ80F7

When we get out camping and use this, I will post updates as to how it went! Thanks again everyone!
    2016 F350 6.7 Powerstroke SRW Platinum short bed
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    Cummins Onan P4500i Invertor Generator

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I would think the pass through would support it. It isn’t that much weight spread out over a large area
    I assume it is sitting right on the frame but definitely a call to GD for advice before doing it would be the thing to do
    Although for liability they may refuse to even answer

You show a 1 ton in your info. You must have at least a couple thousands spare pounds don’t you or is there something in the bed?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    I have a 1 ton and weight is not an issue but use a few of these. https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Prod...8023262&sr=8-1. They can be placed where weight is needed (Pickup bed, Rear of trailer...) and carried to different location to fill without bringing the trailer. I also like the price being far cheaper. We dont always take them just depends on the type of trip.
    Last edited by jlk111; 04-09-2021 at 09:08 PM.
    2007 Ram 5.9 CTD 4x4 LB
    2019 Imagine 2500RL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have any of you tried measuring the tank when filling it?

The tank should be 45 gallons, but twice (with different gauges) I’ve filled it until water came out of the overflow. Both times it was right about 60 gallons.

Did they install a larger tank on mine?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheForce02 View Post
    Have any of you tried measuring the tank when filling it?

The tank should be 45 gallons, but twice (with different gauges) I’ve filled it until water came out of the overflow. Both times it was right about 60 gallons.

Did they install a larger tank on mine?
    I put water in mine to test the systems for the first time and was surprised that at 51 gallons there still was not water coming out of either overflow
    I have seen posts say that the capacity includes the water heater
    But not the case with my 2400 Bh

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123