User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multiple Issues: Related or Coincidence?

BLUF: LR slide looks to be out of square.

As some of you may know, we have had numerous issues (>70 documented warranty items) with our rig since taking delivery in late June, 2021.

This weekend, while doing a roof inspection, including the slides, I noticed the top of the vertical seal at the left upper corner/rear of the living room slide box (door side) was torn. The top horizontal slide seal was also torn at the same corner. The vertical seal had already been replaced in March of this year due to the exact same tears that were noted in July of last year - about 30 days after taking delivery. At the outside top edge and corner of the slide box, the butyl (?) tape was torn and there were rub marks (see photos).

I had an appointment at the dealer yesterday for replacement of the Insignia range. While there, the service manager, lead tech and I examined the slide seals and torn tape on the LR slide box. Since the seals had torn in the exact same place in just a few months, we took a close look at the slide box when extended. If standing facing the door side of the camper, we noticed there was about 1/8" clearance between the upper left and bottom right corners of the slide box and slide opening, while the bottom left and upper right corners had over an inch of clearance within the slide opening (slide seal photo shows minimal clearance at upper left). In fact, the exterior seal/slide wipe in these corners barely touched the outside of the slide box. This slide has been adjusted several times due to leaving marks on the floor. Apparently, however, there is no adjustment for this issue. It is unclear if the slide box is out of square or its the opening, or both. The dealer took measurements and submitted to GD yesterday afternoon. I'm wondering if all of the following issues are related or are just coincidence:

1. Entry door and frame were replaced. Entry door was not square to opening and original door could not be adjusted to close (or open).
    2. Door side basement compartment door binds on lower left corner (right side hinge).
    3. Propane compartment door binds on lower left corner (right side hinge).
    4. Trim at filon and front cap on door side separated with 5 of 6 broken screws (filon was dropped and upper deck frame welds were inspected - no broken welds found)
    5. Vinyl screw cover in C-channel along edge of overhang comes loose repeatedly when traveling.
    6. Vertical corner piece at rear of the door side sidewall and rear wall has sealant showing - appears to be a result of movement in sidewall relative to rear wall.

There have been no issues with kitchen and mid-bunk slides (off door side). However, the dealer has had to trim the bottom off of the right side of the vertical interior fascia 3 times (!) of the MBR slide (Schwintek). Measurements of the MBR slide box partially and fully extended have all been within spec, but why do we have to keep trimming the bottom of the fascia to keep it from hitting the slide box opening? In all, have probably trimmed 2" off the bottom of the right side fascia. The left side has always had clearance and hasn't required any adjustments. I need to measure both vertical trim pieces to see if there is a difference. But, it still has me wondering if MBR issue is related to the other issues described above.

The dealer thinks that whatever the repair may be, it is a job for the factory. We are a few months out of the 1 year warranty. Don't know if the 3-year structural warranty covers something like this.

Waiting to hear back from GD, but in the meantime, wanted to hear what you all might think is going on here - are all of these issues related, a big coincidence, Covid-build, or bad luck? What is the recommended approach with GD?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slide seal close up.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	43388

Name:	Slide top corner.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	911.9 KB 
ID:	43387

Name:	Diagram.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	43389
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    1. Entry door and frame were replaced. Entry door was not square to opening and original door could not be adjusted to close (or open).
    2. Door side basement compartment door binds on lower left corner (right side hinge).
    3. Propane compartment door binds on lower left corner (right side hinge).
    4. Trim at filon and front cap on door side separated with 5 of 6 broken screws (filon was dropped and upper deck frame welds were inspected - no broken welds found)
    5. Vinyl screw cover in C-channel along edge of overhang comes loose repeatedly when traveling.
    6. Vertical corner piece at rear of the door side sidewall and rear wall has sealant showing - appears to be a result of movement in sidewall relative to rear wall.
    Wanted to add a couple of photos to depict item 6 in the list above.
    First photo is door side, second photo is off-door side.

Name:	corner door-side 1.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1,022.8 KB 
ID:	43396

Name:	corner off-door side.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	43398
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody wants to touch this??
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, wow, that's a lot of issues. So sorry the hear of all those issues. I'm just not sure if they are all related though, I think not but I'm no expert. Hopefully, GD will step in. Looking at the pic of the top wiper seal, I'm not sure that those 3 screws are supposed to be there. Hopefully someone with more knowledge and experience will chime in soon.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Looking at the pic of the top wiper seal, I'm not sure that those 3 screws are supposed to be there. Hopefully someone with more knowledge and experience will chime in soon.
    Thanks for replying. I thought that I was going to set a record of being the only and longest thread started and replied to by the same person.

Those 3 screws were installed by the dealer when the vertical seal was replaced. Hard to tell in the photo, but the screws are actually in the vertical seal, not the top seal. The top/horizontal seal is the original and has very large staples. It should have been replaced but never was. Instead, the right side vertical was replaced even though it was not torn. The tech should have noted at the time of the seal replacement that the slide clearance was unequal. He didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    First off, wow, that's a lot of issues. So sorry the hear of all those issues. I'm just not sure if they are all related though, I think not but I'm no expert. Hopefully, GD will step in.
    GD denied the warranty claim yesterday stating, "slide adjustments after first 180 days are the customer's responsibility". The slides have been adjusted three times, Oct 2021, Nov 2021 and Mar 2022.

I was examining the entry door again yesterday. Both of the screws holding the drip edge cap/trim above the new entry door have backed out 1/4". I get it that screws come loose, but in my effort to develop a Grand Design unifying theory (see what I did there?), I think there is excess flex in the side wall. Even the window screen frames on the dual pane windows on that side are all out of square. The windows themselves seem to be fine and operate properly.

I don't know. Pretty dejected right now. Trying to get all of my ducks in a row to go back to GD. I spoke with the selling dealer yesterday and they told me another Solitude owner is having similar but not exactly same issues. It took months and attorneys to get GD to step up. In that case, GD sent someone from the factory to the dealership in NC to help with repairs. A lawyer-neighbor suggested we contact a lemon law attorney. I'll hold that as a last resort. But here we are once again where we can't use our coach.
    Last edited by Fsalmy; 10-19-2022 at 07:58 AM.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Escalate the claim on the slide out to Jerry McCarthy, I don't think our seals have any visible screws. But our tape was replaced once by GD at the factory repair center. We recovered it again last year with our own eternabond . While the tape is great I'm not sure it is a great idea in an area where it sees friction.
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 10-19-2022 at 08:20 AM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trade it off and try again. Sounds like you got a lemon. Happens from time to time with any brand. I don't think I could put up with that much frustration happening that often.