Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Front storage compartment for generator.

Question for all y'all!

We have a 2021 320MKS. Did not have/get the generator prep done when we ordered it. I want to put the Morryde generator/battery tray up there, and wouldn't like to know if I need to reinforce the tray. It's diamond plate steel, 1/16" thick, I think.

I haven't looked under it yet, do I don't know if I need to reinforce the bottom with brackets, or what.

I know I'll need to rearrange my batteries, so that's not a big deal. I also know I'll need a riser to get the bottom of the shelf higher than the bottom edge of the compartment door opening.

If anyone has any insight or knowledge on this, I look forward to your advice! Thanks in advance.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, it's not diamond plate, it's 3/16" rolled steel sheet. that is welded to the sides and back, as far as I can tell. Underneath, It looks like I'm going to need to add 2 2" angle iron pieces the width of the compartment to safely hold the weight and to bolt the riser and tray down. Now, do I have a metal shop weld the angle iron, or bolt it to the frame? I need to call around to some metal shops here in town and get prices.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Okay, it's not diamond plate, it's 3/16" rolled steel sheet. that is welded to the sides and back, as far as I can tell. Underneath, It looks like I'm going to need to add 2 2" angle iron pieces the width of the compartment to safely hold the weight and to bolt the riser and tray down. Now, do I have a metal shop weld the angle iron, or bolt it to the frame? I need to call around to some metal shops here in town and get prices.
    Curious, what did you decide to do? I am planning to carry our Gen up front as well. Thanks, Frank.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmartinmn View Post
    Curious, what did you decide to do? I am planning to carry our Gen up front as well. Thanks, Frank.
    Lol! In the bed of the truck. I'd love to put it in the front compartment, but I'm not going to be able to get it in and out easily.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sliding tray idea didn't work?
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmartinmn View Post
    The sliding tray idea didn't work?
    It would work, however, my back isn't good for lifting 100 lbs of generator while bending over.

I really over engineered it for the generator. If I could do a ramp with it, without adding more weight, it would be perfect.

Rodeoing as a younger man wasn't a smart idea as an older man.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Digging this up because I'm going through the exact same thing right now, where to put the generator. My is 100lbs and I'd really like to keep it in the front of the RV, where it is now, but it's too much of a pia to get in and out. I really don't want it in the truck bed full time as we hardly use it, but when you need it, it's worth it's weight in gold. I think I may just move it to the bed of the truck for good, though. I was thinking of getting a foam matt, or somekind of 6 inch memory foam mattress cut to size to soften the rattling while it's in the truck bed.
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would personally sell the large generator and replace it with 2 small ones. They are easier to move and when I only need one I only have to move one.
    2021 Reflection 340RDS
    2022 Ram 3500 Big Horn/CCSB//4X4/SRW/HEMI/4:10
    2019 Imagine 2250RK~Sold

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkevinmarshsr View Post
    I would personally sell the large generator and replace it with 2 small ones. They are easier to move and when I only need one I only have to move one.
    I have two EU 2000s that I have carried around for 15 years. I can count on one hand how many times I have needed both for AC. One hunt was saved when the pull start rope broke on the one I was going to use. I was a long way from nowhere when it happened. Having another ready to go made it a non problem.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have (2) EU generators. Both fit nicely on the moride slider. With a softstart on the A/C unit, I can get by with one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast