Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Low Temp Charging Cut-off with Victron equipment

STILL in the process of finalizing some of the parts for a 24V system (in addition the OEM 12v) and then working up some templates to figure out where it will all go (want to put it all in the front bay hold beheld the wall where the stairs and plumbing are).

I have a VE MultiPlus-II 24/3000/70-50 2 X 120V that I will be using with 24V 200-230Ah form LiFePO4 batteries.

Looking at LiTime's 24V batteries for the project (due to the price and reviews) but they do not have a Low Temp Cut-Off on the BMS, nor self heating.

My question is - can you program a Low Temp Charging Cut-Off into the VE MultiPlus-II like above (as well as their Solar Chargers; will be using 1-2 on the next phase of this project)? I thought I had read somewhere you could do this but have not found the set up or programming required in the V.E. manuals, etc. All I have been able to find is Temp Compensation settings.

If you have had success doing above please also tell me what equipment you used to let the VE Chargers know what the battery bank system temps are (I will be installing a Cerbo GX and BT Dongle).

AND Yes, If I install this battery bank in the heated hold I probably will never need Low Temp Cut-Off, or heated batteries. But if I can automate this I would feel much better about the investment in the batteries I will be making (like when we store the 5th wheel in the future and I forget to turn of the Solar or Multiplus Charging...)

Thank you.
    Last edited by sgprice; 12-13-2023 at 09:41 AM.
    Steve & Kelly - Newly Retired
    2023 F-350 Lariat DRW
    2021 Momentum 376THS, 8k axles w/disc, DP windows, factory solar

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgprice View Post
    STILL in the process of finalizing some of the parts for a 24V system (in addition the OEM 12v) and then working up some templates to figure out where it will all go (want to put it all in the front bay hold beheld the wall where the stairs and plumbing are).

I have a VE MultiPlus-II 24/3000/70-50 2 X 120V that I will be using with 24V 200-230Ah form LiFePO4 batteries.

Looking at LiTime's 24V batteries for the project (due to the price and reviews) but they do not have a Low Temp Cut-Off on the BMS, nor self heating.

My question is - can you program a Low Temp Charging Cut-Off into the VE MultiPlus-II like above (as well as their Solar Chargers; will be using 1-2 on the next phase of this project)? I thought I had read somewhere you could do this but have not found the set up or programming required in the V.E. manuals, etc. All I have been able to find is Temp Compensation settings.

If you have had success doing above please also tell me what equipment you used to let the VE Chargers know what the battery bank system temps are (I will be installing a Cerbo GX and BT Dongle).

AND Yes, If I install this battery bank in the heated hold I probably will never need Low Temp Cut-Off, or heated batteries. But if I can automate this I would feel much better about the investment in the batteries I will be making (like when we store the 5th wheel in the future and I forget to turn of the Solar or Multiplus Charging...)

Thank you.
    Not sure if this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RTYGMBD) would work with the Multiplus. I'm planning on installing it with my Victron solar controller.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the issue with using the victron to control your battery charge cut off is the location of the temperature sensor. the sensor needs to be located with the batterys.

I have run into the chargers being in an unheated space and refusing to charge a battery which was in a heated space and safe to charge.
    GMC 2500 HD Gas
    GD Imagine XLS22 MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoredWeasel View Post
    the issue with using the victron to control your battery charge cut off is the location of the temperature sensor. the sensor needs to be located with the batterys.

I have run into the chargers being in an unheated space and refusing to charge a battery which was in a heated space and safe to charge.

If I find I can use the VE equipment to cut off charging at low temps I will be using a VE Temp sensor that connects to the battery bank.
    2023 F-350 Lariat DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thank you.
    Yes it can be done both with the multiplus and the MPPT smart controllers. both allow for the connection of temp sensors. You will need a way to access the multiplus program. I use a laptop and the MK3-USB connection https://www.victronenergy.com/access...erface-mk3-usb Of course you will need to download the correct Victron Connect app.

If you need the how to details (I am not one that knows) take a look at the GD Technical forum on the main GD web site under customer support. There are a few gurus that can walk you through. In fact I think there is a thread on the how to there. If I could, I would post the link, but I don't want to brake the rules here Victron Energy also has a web page and FAQ center to find how to details.

Good luck on your project..BTW the LI Time batterys has good reviews. Will Prowse likes them too.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Yes it can be done both with the multiplus and the MPPT smart controllers. both allow for the connection of temp sensors. You will need a way to access the multiplus program. I use a laptop and the MK3-USB connection https://www.victronenergy.com/access...erface-mk3-usb Of course you will need to download the correct Victron Connect app.

If you need the how to details (I am not one that knows) take a look at the GD Technical forum on the main GD web site under customer support. There are a few gurus that can walk you through. In fact I think there is a thread on the how to there. If I could, I would post the link, but I don't want to brake the rules here Victron Energy also has a web page and FAQ center to find how to details.

Good luck on your project..BTW the LI Time batterys has good reviews. Will Prowse likes them too.

Good to know! Thanks for the info powerscol
    2023 F-350 Lariat DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good to know! Thanks for the info powerscol
    No worries. I had researched this a while back for when I convert to lithium. When I switch to LI Time (have 4 6V flooded right now) I will be building a storage box with heating pads. That way I don't need to worry about low temp charging. Battery's will be in the unheated front bay. However Li Time is now installing low temp charging protection on a lot of thier batterys now.

I will be sticking with 12V, Going 24V boggles my mind trying to figure how your wire to deliver 12V to the distribution panel.

If you figure this out, could you please post back on the how to details.

Merry Christmas
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    No worries. I had researched this a while back for when I convert to lithium. When I switch to LI Time (have 4 6V flooded right now) I will be building a storage box with heating pads. That way I don't need to worry about low temp charging. Battery's will be in the unheated front bay. However Li Time is now installing low temp charging protection on a lot of thier batterys now.

I will be sticking with 12V, Going 24V boggles my mind trying to figure how your wire to deliver 12V to the distribution panel.

If you figure this out, could you please post back on the how to details.

Merry Christmas

Although it does complicate things a bit, having a 24v (or 48v) system powering a 12v system is not difficult (thanks to many posts and PM's with David of SolarPoweredRV). You leave your 12v battery bank in place and using a 24v to 12v DC to DC Converter, charge the 12v system via that.

See SolarPoweredRV's post on the following thread (see post #10 ) - https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...2V-DC-question

I like that I can have more energy in a smaller space (battery bank), smaller wiring, and more consistent DC power on the 12v side.
    2023 F-350 Lariat DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Although it does complicate things a bit, having a 24v (or 48v) system powering a 12v system is not difficult (thanks to many posts and PM's with David of SolarPoweredRV). You leave your 12v battery bank in place and using a 24v to 12v DC to DC Converter, charge the 12v system via that.

See SolarPoweredRV's post on the following thread (see post #10 ) - https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...2V-DC-question

I like that I can have more energy in a smaller space (battery bank), smaller wiring, and more consistent DC power on the 12v side.
    Do you have a Cerbo GX in your system. It has ports on the back side for temp sensors and has programmable relays (6A) max to operate the pads or fans, or whatever you want to connect. That is the easiest way to do what you want. The MPPT controller can be programed to not provide power based on temp and the Multiplus can be programed to no charge based on temps, but to fire heaters you need the Cerbo GX or possibly other GX devices.

Hope this helps.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, this might be something for me to check into. I'm also putting in two 24 V 200AH batteries and a MultiPlus II. All of my equipment will be in the pass-through below the front closet, so batteries and MultiPlus II will have the same air temperature around them. I have the side and back panels off of the Nautilus system and noticed that there is an air duct in that space. I'm tempted to install a grill in the wall to allow some of that heat into the bay.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast