User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone may correct me, but I used odorless mineral spirits and it helped. Wipe it on, wait a couple minutes, work with plastic razor blade. Then use a little on a rag to help remove the last bits. I could definitely tell the difference between the dealer silicon (which came off super easy) and the factory (which took a lot more work), which told me quality of sealant matters.

Then used Lexel. Work in small sections as you don’t have much time to work with it. I only ended up with one 3ft section that I went back and re-did. Watched a few YouTube videos that said to use the mineral spirits on a rag to wipe your fingers off while smoothing the seal, and that really helped me. Happy that if gaps appear Lexel can be applied to itself, so hoping it’ll be awhile before I have to do this again.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    I could definitely tell the difference between the dealer silicon (which came off super easy) and the factory (which took a lot more work), which told me quality of sealant matters.
    I don't know exactly what GD uses, but the clear sealant on the outside of our trailer doesn't look like silicone to me, it seems more like some kind of poly.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootusrootus View Post
    I don't know exactly what GD uses, but the clear sealant on the outside of our trailer doesn't look like silicone to me, it seems more like some kind of poly.
    Agreed. To that end I called Grand Design to ask. They gave me a specific brand they claimed to use and recommend, but said it was silicon. I didn’t buy it so don’t know if it truly was the same.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Only thing about 291 is that it's an unreal headache to remove when you need to repair something. Not that I'm a fan of silicone here either, it is cake to remove with plastic razor blades and an adhesive removal wheel. Aside, several RV manufacturers use 219-LM in their production. Every sealant has their pros and cons and you just need to balance those to your personal fit.
    I agree, removal is verging on impossible. As I have said, am new to the RV world and trying to listen and learn more than talk lol... That said, short of having to remove a complete window assembly (short of breakage, why would I ever need to if it is permanently sealed/caulked?) to me the benefit of knowing my windows etc are totally sealed far outweighs the potential leaks and ongoing replacement that you get with silicone.
    Strongly suspect that another reason the factory doesn't use it is put a tube of it in the wrong/unskilled hands and the mess that can be created has to be seen to be believed!
    2019 297RSTS vin:573TR3424K3319511
    2019 GMC 3500HD AT4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. To that end I called Grand Design to ask. They gave me a specific brand they claimed to use and recommend, but said it was silicon. I didn’t buy it so don’t know if it truly was the same.
    What was the brand they said they used?
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone may correct me, but I used odorless mineral spirits and it helped. Wipe it on, wait a couple minutes, work with plastic razor blade. Then use a little on a rag to help remove the last bits. I could definitely tell the difference between the dealer silicon (which came off super easy) and the factory (which took a lot more work), which told me quality of sealant matters.

Then used Lexel. Work in small sections as you don’t have much time to work with it. I only ended up with one 3ft section that I went back and re-did. Watched a few YouTube videos that said to use the mineral spirits on a rag to wipe your fingers off while smoothing the seal, and that really helped me. Happy that if gaps appear Lexel can be applied to itself, so hoping it’ll be awhile before I have to do this again.

You are right, Lexel sets up quick and hard to work with. I usually make a 2-3 ft bead, and smooth out with my finger. On the next bead, sometimes it's hard to make the joints smooth. It sure looks good when finished.

If SikaFlex 291 is that difficult to remove, I'd be hesitant to use. Lexel may not last as long but I'd rather have to apply more frequently. On my previous 5th wheel I used a Dicor caulk, as it was originally used by the manufacturer. It became extremely hard after about one year.

The idea of plastic razor blades is great. I'd like to know more about using 3M General Purpose Adhesiver Remover or the wheel that was mentioned.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Farklepilot View Post
    I agree, removal is verging on impossible. As I have said, am new to the RV world and trying to listen and learn more than talk lol... That said, short of having to remove a complete window assembly (short of breakage, why would I ever need to if it is permanently sealed/caulked?) to me the benefit of knowing my windows etc are totally sealed far outweighs the potential leaks and ongoing replacement that you get with silicone.
    Strongly suspect that another reason the factory doesn't use it is put a tube of it in the wrong/unskilled hands and the mess that can be created has to be seen to be believed!
    As many campers as I've had, never a leaking window. It is rare. Windows are set with butyl tape. Caulk is the suspenders. Things you will have to remove at some point are belt line moldings when the skirt gets torn up, turn moldings when you need to replace the slide box skis, marker lamps when the lenses for the base aren't available any more... Things like these.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Design uses silicone at the factory. It's commercial grade and not homeowner stuff from the big box. What I indicated earlier is what the average Joe can get ahold of that's equivalent. I toured each of their production lines and spent quite some time at the Factory Service Center. Silicone is their primary sealant. Not their only on the line or service, but their primary. It's all about workability, easy tooling, good working time while on the line while meeting what is believed to be sufficient in-service performance.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    As many campers as I've had, never a leaking window. It is rare. Windows are set with butyl tape. Caulk is the suspenders. Things you will have to remove at some point are belt line moldings when the skirt gets torn up, turn moldings when you need to replace the slide box skis, marker lamps when the lenses for the base aren't available any more... Things like these.
    Thanks! There I go learning from this forum again lol... I assumed that given the length and number of so many horizontal surfaces that the windows present, they would be a prime source of leaks. I'm that guy that orders spare lenses, some factory trim etc etc to have on hand for when needed and no longer available.
    2019 297RSTS vin:573TR3424K3319511
    2019 GMC 3500HD AT4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AustexGP View Post
    Howdy Everyone,

We have a Reflection 311BHS and it's time to replace/repair the silicone that is around the entry door and slide outs. How do you remove the old, clean the area and what do you use to reseal.

Thanks a bunch.
    From your signature tag it looks like you have a four year old rig, is this correct? Just wondering how long the factory sealant does last? Anybody have guesstimates on how long I can go before needing to take a closer look at this thread to do the same thing as talked about?
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast