Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electric Furnace not pumping hot air

Good Morning,

I am new to trailering and running into some occasional issues with heat. My understanding of my system is as follows:

I have two AC units on the roof. The one in the back is also a heating unit. The living room (or rear) AIRXEL panel controls the rear AC / Heat unit. When I have the selector in Heat (Electric), it the system will attempt to maintain the set temp. If the Temp falls 5 Degrees below what is set, the gas furnace will kick in as well.

The problem that I am having is that I have woken up with the trailer temp being in the low 50's for the second time in a few weeks. The thermostat is set 72 Degrees. When I look at the panel, both electric and gas are triggered so the system is trying to heat.

The air being pumped out of the rear unit is the same as the interior temp and not heating at all.

Troubleshooting steps taken so far:

- Cycle power and modes to the panel
    - Light the stove top for a few minutes to ensure plenty of propane
    - Open the doors to ensure good airflow
    - Ensure no fuses or circuits are tripped.

Let me know if you have any thoughts.

(2020 Solitude 3950BH)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The heat pump wont significantly raise the temperature of the camper. If it is off by more than 5 degrees or so, the gas heat will kick on. That's the same way it operated in my Momentum. My experience was the heat pump wasnt really helpful if it was cold outside. If it was cold, I would use the fireplace and supplement with space heaters. If it was going to be below freezing I would use the furnace to ensure the underbody was heated as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on the model of your heat pump is what you can expect for performance in your Solitude.
    First you didn't state where you are at? And what are the outside temps you are experiencing?
    Does your HP have an optional heat (electric) strip installed?
    Assuming that you must have a Coleman HP they are only capable of producing a certain amount of BTU's in direct proportion to the outdoor temperature. Unlike a residential HP they do not have an outdoor temperature sensor to shut it down when it becomes "weather inefficient" giving you the "cold air" blowing out the vents!
    I am attaching a simple write up explanation from Coleman/AirXel that covers the operation of a typical heat pump setup. As FT4NOW says, use your fireplace & furnace if temps drop below freezing to help prevent freezing/busted lines in the basement.
    I myself personally would install an outdoor sensor that would prohibit the HP from operation at temperatures where it could not maintain a 1-2° differential inside. That would also be wired to prevent that 5° temp drop (Brrr) before allowing the gas to come on. Easy for me to say after 30 years as a mechanical contractor!
    And yes, I do understand that if parked in a campground/rv park & you have paid for electricity you might as well use that (heat pump) instead of the gas! However there is a fine line between comfort & $avings. Especially when it comes to keeping your significant other happy ��
    In a nutshell, it has probably locked out several times & you cannot reset it according to their info. I would be questioning the stat not switching over to the gas furnace, and/or possible miss-wired. You would have to put a multimeter on it to answer either of those questions. Good luck
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t_stat_electric_heat_function.pdf 
Views:	9 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	33193

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info guys. Totally makes sense. After talking to Grand Designs I’m going to have someone take a look at the Furnace.