Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fresh water tank contamination

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2021 Reflection 268BH and took it out for its first trip. We live in a part of the country that requires antifreeze to keep the lines and faucets from freezing, I sanitized the lines with the recommended bleach solution and we headed out to our destination. Everything worked great and we had a great time enjoying the new space that a fifth wheel provides. After a few days we loaded everything up and started the journey home. I have a couple questions/concerns regarding the fresh water system. The first one is: When we left camp I left the fresh water dump valve open for about an hour down the Interstate before remembering that it was open and pulled over to close it. Does this cause any concern for road debris getting into the tank through the 1-1/2'' valve and contaminating the tank? The second is: The dump valve had quit a lot of what looked like grease all around the dump valve seal, I assume this grease is safe to be around drinking water. If some of this grease entered the fresh water tank while driving down the road how would you clean it out to make the tank safe for potable water again? I took a rag and wiped the access grease from inside the valve once we got home.

My previous trailer had a 1/2" drain valve on the side of the trailer to drain the tank, it would take forever to empty all the water. The 1-1/2" dump valve is new to me and way more efficient!

Thank you!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't think you have to worry. First, there are thousands of GD RV's with the same dump valve traveling down the road. You aren't the first to forget to close the gate. The chance of debris finding it's way back up into the tank would be rare. It would be fighting gravity. If it worries you, when you get home, fill the tank and dump it a few times. As for the grease, that's normal. The gates have to have lubrication or the seals would dry out and fail. It's not going to be in your tank.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLostSierra View Post
    Hello,

I recently purchased a 2021 Reflection 268BH and took it out for its first trip. We live in a part of the country that requires antifreeze to keep the lines and faucets from freezing, I sanitized the lines with the recommended bleach solution and we headed out to our destination. Everything worked great and we had a great time enjoying the new space that a fifth wheel provides. After a few days we loaded everything up and started the journey home. I have a couple questions/concerns regarding the fresh water system. The first one is: When we left camp I left the fresh water dump valve open for about an hour down the Interstate before remembering that it was open and pulled over to close it. Does this cause any concern for road debris getting into the tank through the 1-1/2'' valve and contaminating the tank? The second is: The dump valve had quit a lot of what looked like grease all around the dump valve seal, I assume this grease is safe to be around drinking water. If some of this grease entered the fresh water tank while driving down the road how would you clean it out to make the tank safe for potable water again? I took a rag and wiped the access grease from inside the valve once we got home.

My previous trailer had a 1/2" drain valve on the side of the trailer to drain the tank, it would take forever to empty all the water. The 1-1/2" dump valve is new to me and way more efficient!

Thank you!
    Wouldn't be concerned about any of that. Enjoy!
    2021 GD Reflection (150) 5th Wheel 268BH
    2019 F250 Gas 6.2L V8 FX4 Crew Cab
    PullRite 2100 20K Hitch w/ LOCKED OUT Turning Point
    2x Honda EU2200i Generators & 1UP Bike Rack & Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS
    2017 F150 Sport 3.5L V6 EcoBoost