User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSam View Post
    By the way, the Westlakes that came on the trailer do not come balanced. I had the Goodyear tires balanced. Do trailer tires need to be balanced?
    Most defiantly all tires should be balanced. You may not feel it in the trailer tires but the constant vibration will cause premature wear on all of the suspension components.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had blow out on Westlake tire and when I was switching to Goodyear Endurance tires guys at Goodyear store made same comment, "Can't believe how weak sidewalls are on Westlake". My camping buddy made same comment when he recently switched from Westlake to Goodyear Endurance on his Reflection. They now put Goodyear Endurance on Reflections; his was built just before they made change to Goodyear tires. He had blowout on another brand China made tires and luckily only had to replace 1 rim on his previous camper a Kodak. He saw tire coming apart and pulled over immediately. He switched all tires to Goodyear Endurance when he got home from that trip.

We learned from his misfortune and we both bought TPMS from TireTraker as soon as we got home from trip. If I had not pulled over immediately when TPMS warning sounded with Westlake tire blowout, I would have had much more damage. Only lost fender skirt; if I had went much further would have lost rim also.

http://www.tiretraker.com/

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My tires get balanced on 5th wheel and both boat trailers. I don't bother with the spare because it's not going to be on the ground that much.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    My tires get balanced on 5th wheel and both boat trailers. I don't bother with the spare because it's not going to be on the ground that much.
    Did you get them balanced with the Lug-centric adapter or did they do like any other car wheel? From what I understand, TT wheels need to be balance with the adapter.
    2020 337RLS
    2018 F350 4WD CCLB Dually Diesel
    2010 FLHTCU and 2021 Explorer
    USAF 19th SPS Veteran

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobter3 View Post
    Did you get them balanced with the Lug-centric adapter or did they do like any other car wheel? From what I understand, TT wheels need to be balance with the adapter.
    I'm pretty sure mine were balanced with a hub centric adapter. Hopefully the hubs are true. One additional thing I requested from the tire shop was to balance mine with the TPMS sensor attached to the valve stem. I watched them the entire time, these guys were great, they even cleaned the wheels after mounting them on the trailer!. A few bucks for beer money goes a long way, and they appreciated it.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    Husky Centerline WDH

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    I'm pretty sure mine were balanced with a hub centric adapter. Hopefully the hubs are true. One additional thing I requested from the tire shop was to balance mine with the TPMS sensor attached to the valve stem. I watched them the entire time, these guys were great, they even cleaned the wheels after mounting them on the trailer!. A few bucks for beer money goes a long way, and they appreciated it.
    Next question, did you notice a difference in ride quality at all? or is it really for tire wear/runs cooler?
    2020 337RLS
    USAF 19th SPS Veteran

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On mine, they use the same balancing machine used on autos. The centering of the wheel on the hub is going to be achieved by the mating of the bevels on the lug nuts and the wheels. If that is good enough for autos and trucks, it's good enough for my trailer.
    If you have TPMS, then the tires do need to be balanced with the sensors installed.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    On mine, they use the same balancing machine used on autos. The centering of the wheel on the hub is going to be achieved by the mating of the bevels on the lug nuts and the wheels. If that is good enough for autos and trucks, it's good enough for my trailer.
    If you have TPMS, then the tires do need to be balanced with the sensors installed.
    The biggest reason I asked it because most newer autos and trucks are hub centric, not lug centric.
    2020 337RLS
    USAF 19th SPS Veteran

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobter3 View Post
    Next question, did you notice a difference in ride quality at all? or is it really for tire wear/runs cooler?
    I did it because it's the right thing to do, less wear and tear on suspension. I was a tire guy/mechanic in a prior life and have seen the results of out of balance and worn suspension parts. I did notice a difference in ride quality, but it was probably due to the new tires that were installed at the same time. But to be more specific, I did not experience any vibration before or after.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    Husky Centerline WDH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say, yes. Get them balanced. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0108.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	33131
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast