User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off guys, thank you for all the responses and advice.

I should have added a bit more of information. The truck has the trailer brake controller installed and the class IV hitch. My wife and I were seriously looking at the 2500 because we knew we wouldn't have to sweat the payload as much. Our thought processes was that this truck is my daily driver. I am only 5 miles from work and realistically we probably are going to be only able to do a weekend a month based on our respective schedules at this moment in time. Trust me, I know getting a 2500 will solve all of these issues! Unfortunately, there was a price difference between the two and we are trying to be conscious of that.

My name of the game is to be smart about towing and of course be safe. I have been looking at the weigh safe true tow WDH and have been advised to look at anderson, propride and blue ox as well. So, I know these factor into the overall payload reduction. I guess where I'm confused is about loading equipment. I understand some camping chairs and small supplies in the truck, but isn't a majority of the load safely distributed in the trailer, being cautions to not go over the limit?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most everything can be stored in the trailer

Some people like to justify their opinion of needing a bigger truck because of generators and firewood and groceries??? Trying to add unnecessary weight to the trucks payload
    If you are like us which you seem to be ,a generator will never be needed and most states(I know provinces do) discourage firewood transporting so other than bikes and like you say maybe a chair or two everything is packed in the trailer
    The 2400 Bh has a very large cargo capacity which as a weekend warrior you will not fill it up that much

As far as a hitch I personally would never spend that crazy amount of money for a propride. Nothing is worth that Just because isn’t a good enough answer for me. Equalizer E4 is likely the most popular and a top quality hitch
    The weigh safe is more designed for toy haulers imo where the payload distribution can change drastically
    Most of us have out trailers loaded one way and it stays that way so once the hitch is adjusted you are good to go
    Like I have mentioned I have the Husky Centreline and I am very impressed

Go find a 2400 and make some memories

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your close to your payload capacity then you want to load the truck with as little as possible. A few trips to the CAT scale might be good also if your concerned about load placement in relation to tongue weight. A good WDH is going to be a necessity.
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Gasser
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2400BH and tow with a 2019 F150 3.5EB 157WB (payload = 1697). Me, wife, child, dog, and "stuff" approximately 500lb. Tongue weight (from Sherline scale) is 875. We load most everything in the trailer before heading out. I have not run across scales but plan to once new hitch is installed. All that said...

F150 tows OK with Andersen WDH but not great. I have not been able to get the hitch dialed in as much as I'd like. A bit too much pushing around from passing trucks (and even larger SUVs). It was great with our previous trailer (a hybrid), but I have decided that we needed a better hitch. Ordered a Propride last week as I decided the extra cost was worth it if I was going to tow close to payload limit.

For "local" trips (<3 hours), my current setup would be fine as I keep speeds below 65mph and avoid interstates. I actually enjoy driving two lane roads and seeing the country. However, we will do longer trips and that is the reason for the upgraded hitch.

As for the truck, we actually "upgraded" to the 2019 3.5 from a 2013 5.0. The "old" truck only had payload = 1311 and the torque curve on the 5.0 leaves a lot to be desired for towing. The 3.5 is a MUCH better towing engine (the 10 speed tranny is a nice bonus).

I am very confident that the F150 will be a capable and safe tow vehicle for this camper with an upgraded hitch. Would a F250 be better? Yes. But it's my daily driver and I have parking garages to deal with. Ah the life of an urban dweller.

I hope this is helpful. Once I get the Propride and get it installed, I am happy to provide additional thoughts on comparison.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jproctor9 View Post
    We have a 2400BH and tow with a 2019 F150 3.5EB 157WB (payload = 1697). Me, wife, child, dog, and "stuff" approximately 500lb. Tongue weight (from Sherline scale) is 875. We load most everything in the trailer before heading out. I have not run across scales but plan to once new hitch is installed. All that said...

F150 tows OK with Andersen WDH but not great. I have not been able to get the hitch dialed in as much as I'd like. A bit too much pushing around from passing trucks (and even larger SUVs). It was great with our previous trailer (a hybrid), but I have decided that we needed a better hitch. Ordered a Propride last week as I decided the extra cost was worth it if I was going to tow close to payload limit.

For "local" trips (<3 hours), my current setup would be fine as I keep speeds below 65mph and avoid interstates. I actually enjoy driving two lane roads and seeing the country. However, we will do longer trips and that is the reason for the upgraded hitch.

As for the truck, we actually "upgraded" to the 2019 3.5 from a 2013 5.0. The "old" truck only had payload = 1311 and the torque curve on the 5.0 leaves a lot to be desired for towing. The 3.5 is a MUCH better towing engine (the 10 speed tranny is a nice bonus).

I am very confident that the F150 will be a capable and safe tow vehicle for this camper with an upgraded hitch. Would a F250 be better? Yes. But it's my daily driver and I have parking garages to deal with. Ah the life of an urban dweller.

I hope this is helpful. Once I get the Propride and get it installed, I am happy to provide additional thoughts on comparison.
    If you don’t already have LT tires on the truck, try that next.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Half Ton View Post
    If you don’t already have LT tires on the truck, try that next.
    I probably should have included that, as well...

Cooper Discoverer AT3 LTX Load Range E (love these tires...had them on 2013 and put them on 2019 when we bought it)

Also added Sumo Springs to rear leafs. Added these to 2013 and liked how they added a little "heft" to the suspension under load. They are installed so they do not influence unloaded ride.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information guys. Looking at the payload number of 1500. I'll subtract 500 pounds for family weight, 100 pounds for hitch and 100 pounds in the truck for cargo. That's 700 pounds and gives me 800 pounds max for tongue weight. I'm not sure if I'm not going to be under that number. I would have to keep the tongue weight at 10% max for this to work. I have enough power to tow it, just not enough comfortable payload!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsxtreme01 View Post
    Thanks for the information guys. Looking at the payload number of 1500. I'll subtract 500 pounds for family weight, 100 pounds for hitch and 100 pounds in the truck for cargo. That's 700 pounds and gives me 800 pounds max for tongue weight. I'm not sure if I'm not going to be under that number. I would have to keep the tongue weight at 10% max for this to work. I have enough power to tow it, just not enough comfortable payload!
    Entirely up to you. I disagree but you have to drive it

By looking at the numbers you will be under payload

You are going off of GVWR for the trailer and if you are a weekend warrior you will be well under that number

Good luck in your search

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Entirely up to you. I disagree but you have to drive it

By looking at the numbers you will be under payload

You are going off of GVWR for the trailer and if you are a weekend warrior you will be well under that number

Good luck in your search

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    I would love for this to work. Out of curiosity, how would you break down the numbers based on the 1500 payload? My wife also likes the Image XLS 23BHE as well. That is about 4 pounds lighter dry.

For weekends or even extended out to 4 days, how much weight of supplies would you expect? Less than 1000 pounds including supplies, propane and batteries?

As you can see, I tend to go worst case and overthink things. My wife constantly yells at me! haha

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsxtreme01 View Post
    I would love for this to work. Out of curiosity, how would you break down the numbers based on the 1500 payload? My wife also likes the Image XLS 23BHE as well. That is about 4 pounds lighter dry.

For weekends or even extended out to 4 days, how much weight of supplies would you expect? Less than 1000 pounds including supplies, propane and batteries?

As you can see, I tend to go worst case and overthink things. My wife constantly yells at me! haha
    Imo 800 lbs is easily doable for a TW

Unsure what this 100 lbs of cargo is that is in your calculations
    Even with it your are at 1500 so good to go imo
    I am not one that requires a “buffer”. Many are I am not

I traded in a Jayco Hybrid that had a cargo capacity less than 400 lbs. I know I was over that but no where near 1000 lbs in cargo
    Everything I had in the Jayco will go into our 2400bh

The only additional stuff is I tossed all of the aluminium pots and pans and plastic servingwear and upgraded to heavy cookware and corelle and glass. No more plastic for us ever
    But that doesn’t mean you can’t use plastic to save weight
    I would guess my cargo weight will be 700-800lbs
    That is a lot of stuff
    The heaviest are the BBQ and my box of tools
    Once I get it loaded I will take it out to the farm and weigh it on the scale

At the end of the day you have to tow it. I have noticed time and time again on these forums of people with smaller trailers than mine and bigger trucks have “white knuckle” experiences and people with exact towing combos that I have and just get terrified to drive it so a lot is driver perception and ability
    Yes I get suck/push from semi’s that if I had a big heavy diesel I may not notice as much but it isn’t anything to be concerned about
    You see a truck coming and it sucks you toward them a bit and then it pushes you back out. It isn’t even anything you have to correct for but many may feel that and panic. To me it is barely noticed
    YMMV

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast