User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience was the tongue weight when the trailer was fully loaded for a trip was much higher than I thought. I had to move some stuff from the pass thru to the bed of the truck to get it under 15%. That has to be subtracted from the trucks cargo capacity. Generally truck cargo capacity will be your limiting factor with a half ton truck. At least that's my experience.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sanity Check

I love the Husky Centerline hitch with the 800lb springs - but it took 3 attempts to get it dialed in correctly. Now its stable even in nasty cross winds and not toooo hard to use, particuliary given the price. I would not suggest the Husky for my 70 year old dad. Having a decent brake controller and a basic understanding of how it works (select trailer type, weight etc.) is a must, before you leave the lot.

We have a 2019 Tundra and a Transcend 2019 27BHS. Below are my numbers from CAT scales. Included about 150lbs of gear in the truck bed, full propane tanks, 2 batteries, 1/3 water, and a full front storage. These are my numbers but you can compare as a sanity check for whatever you looking at. I had the same gear in the truck, just dropped the trailer for the 2nd weigh.

If you do any miles, you will proabably need E tires soon and will be happy when you get them. Maybe not when you $pay$ but when you tow...

------------- steer-------drive-------trailer-------TOTAL
    trailer----- 3220-------3740-------7160-------14120
    no trailer-- 3360-------2680-------0----------- 6040

Change -- -140 -------1060-------7160

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RvReno View Post
    I love the Husky Centerline hitch with the 800lb springs - but it took 3 attempts to get it dialed in correctly. Now its stable even in nasty cross winds and not toooo hard to use, particuliary given the price. I would not suggest the Husky for my 70 year old dad. Having a decent brake controller and a basic understanding of how it works (select trailer type, weight etc.) is a must, before you leave the lot.

We have a 2019 Tundra and a Transcend 2019 27BHS. Below are my numbers from CAT scales. Included about 150lbs of gear in the truck bed, full propane tanks, 2 batteries, 1/3 water, and a full front storage. These are my numbers but you can compare as a sanity check for whatever you looking at. I had the same gear in the truck, just dropped the trailer for the 2nd weigh.

If you do any miles, you will proabably need E tires soon and will be happy when you get them. Maybe not when you $pay$ but when you tow...

------------- steer-------drive-------trailer-------TOTAL
    trailer----- 3220-------3740-------7160-------14120
    no trailer-- 3360-------2680-------0----------- 6040

Change -- -140 -------1060-------7160
    You need to reduce your weight Looking at your numbers you have exceeded the gvwr of the trailer
    That isn’t good

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally weighed recently and my tongue weight was 12.5% which surprised me. I got rid of extra weight, move things from truck to the rig by adding food to the fridge and put things that would be in the truck over the wheels in the trailer. This dropped my tongue weight to 11.3%. I am marginal with little room for extra payload. We boondock some which means I must have been over payload but I've not weighed full of water and with generator to tell you the exact numbers. I have a 2500 on order. Anyone need a 2018 1500 RAM?
    Imagine 2020 2670MK,
    2021 RAM 2500

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsxtreme01 View Post
    Sounds like you run your family in the truck, minus miscellaneous items? All of the other gear is stored in the trailer?

Correct. People and bikes in truck. Pretty much everything else is in the camper.
    James and Dawn
    2019 F150 SCREW 3.5EB 6.5' - Haloview MC7109; Cooper AT3 LTX; Sumo Springs; ProPride WDH

2021 Imagine 2400BH - GY Endurance 225/75-15; MORryde CRE3000, HD shackles and wet bolts, X-factor crossmembers

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!
    2400BH here.

I didn't read through full discussion so sorry for duplicate info. It's just my wife and I, and two medium size dogs in our camper. We love it. BUT, we just discovered the 2910BH. It's of course longer than the 2400 but I think you'd be ok with your tow rig.

The 2910 has a sliding door to isolate the bunk room, and the bunk room has it's own drawers/storage. This would be better for your kids when they're older. This is why we like it, our future kids will want their own space when they're no longer toddlers.
    The 2910 also has recliners facing the TV, plus the dinette. Recliners fold out into a bed as well. The 2400 only has the dinette, and my personal feelings on that are that it is not comfy, even made into a bed. But of course we don't go camping just to lay there and watch TV. So altogether the 2910 has more "living space" for your family, plus the separation from main bed to living space by bathroom, which is also nice. No waking up kids in the middle of the night if you get up to use the restroom. And finally, a separate entrance to the bedroom from outside. So for us, our kids might be sleeping while we're up and outside still, we can sneak into bed.

Just food for thought. We'd get the 2910 if we did it again. For now, no kids yet, so we'll hang on to the 2400.
    https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...orplans/2910bh

You're looking at 9000 lbs loaded on that. Google search says your etorque is good for 12750, so you're fine, you'll just need to not skip gas stations maybe. On payload, you might be pushing it, but airbags / weight distribution hitch will help. That of course doesn't take weight off the truck, just helps with stability. Any payload numbers I could find for your truck said 1800 lbs. Out at the hitch, I don't know. But I think you'd be fine. Our 2400 sways without the stabilizer hitch if it gets a little windy, and it squatted my F350 more than I wanted (generator, dirt bikes, loaded cooler, air compressor, tools in the bed). I put some air bags on and presto, no problem. I just got a weight distribution hitch with sway control from a friend, I'm excited to try that here soon.

My take on Grand Design as a manufacturer - excellent so far. I wish the fresh water storage was larger but I have some ideas to work around that.

Goodluck.

Campfam
    2016 F350 6.7 Powerstroke SRW Platinum short bed
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    Cummins Onan P4500i Invertor Generator

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by campfam View Post
    Welcome!
    2400BH here.

I didn't read through full discussion so sorry for duplicate info. It's just my wife and I, and two medium size dogs in our camper. We love it. BUT, we just discovered the 2910BH. It's of course longer than the 2400 but I think you'd be ok with your tow rig.

The 2910 has a sliding door to isolate the bunk room, and the bunk room has it's own drawers/storage. This would be better for your kids when they're older. This is why we like it, our future kids will want their own space when they're no longer toddlers.
    The 2910 also has recliners facing the TV, plus the dinette. Recliners fold out into a bed as well. The 2400 only has the dinette, and my personal feelings on that are that it is not comfy, even made into a bed. But of course we don't go camping just to lay there and watch TV. So altogether the 2910 has more "living space" for your family, plus the separation from main bed to living space by bathroom, which is also nice. No waking up kids in the middle of the night if you get up to use the restroom. And finally, a separate entrance to the bedroom from outside. So for us, our kids might be sleeping while we're up and outside still, we can sneak into bed.

Just food for thought. We'd get the 2910 if we did it again. For now, no kids yet, so we'll hang on to the 2400.
    https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...orplans/2910bh

You're looking at 9000 lbs loaded on that. Google search says your etorque is good for 12750, so you're fine, you'll just need to not skip gas stations maybe. On payload, you might be pushing it, but airbags / weight distribution hitch will help. That of course doesn't take weight off the truck, just helps with stability. Any payload numbers I could find for your truck said 1800 lbs. Out at the hitch, I don't know. But I think you'd be fine. Our 2400 sways without the stabilizer hitch if it gets a little windy, and it squatted my F350 more than I wanted (generator, dirt bikes, loaded cooler, air compressor, tools in the bed). I put some air bags on and presto, no problem. I just got a weight distribution hitch with sway control from a friend, I'm excited to try that here soon.

My take on Grand Design as a manufacturer - excellent so far. I wish the fresh water storage was larger but I have some ideas to work around that.

Goodluck.

Campfam
    No way a half ton can haul a 2910. Way into 3/4 ton territory
    The biggest half ton BH is the 2400 IMO

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although GD rates their 150 series as 1/2 ton towable, I have to question that. Yep, many do it but is it going to be safe?
    I think a manufacturers list their gross weights with full propane tanks, not batteries or liquids. Add those and a couple of adults, some gear in the truck, and stuff in the passthrough, and you are very close to maxing out the payload of a 1/2 ton truck. My trailer has the lightest tonge weight of the 150s and it's still #1275 .
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    No way a half ton can haul a 2910. Way into 3/4 ton territory
    The biggest half ton BH is the 2400 IMO

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    That's fair. What about the reflection though, for comparison? Half ton towable? https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...ion-150-series

UVW on 2400BH is just over 7k, and same with reflections. The 230RL is the only one less than the 2400BH.

Unless the main difference is mostly 5th wheel hitch vs bumper bull. I know that there is a big difference between the two.

Either way, it would not be too fun and I know it would be pushing it.

Edit:

I just read that OP has chosen a camper. While reading through I see all the payload info and informed opinions. I'm checking out of this discussion.
    Last edited by campfam; 04-09-2021 at 10:22 AM.
    2016 F350 6.7 Powerstroke SRW Platinum short bed
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    Cummins Onan P4500i Invertor Generator

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345