Hi everyone. We are experienced fifth-wheelers, having had Carriage Cameos and Heartland Bighorns for the past 15 years or more. Lots of miles and lots of stories!

We are about to be the proud owners of a 2021 Solitude 30-GK and I am looking for experiences with cargo carriers on the back trailer hitch.

We tow with a SRW Ford F-350 diesel and are accustomed to being at or near max pin weight while being within the other specs of our tow vehicle. I'm sensitive to weights and balance.

It looks like this Solitude has a bit less storage space than our present Bighorn, so I have decided to add a cargo carrier to the rear factory hitch to store just about 250 lbs. of some of our heavier stuff...tools etc.

My questions for those that have done this.....have you noticed any significant difference in handling? What type of decrease have you seen in pin weights by transferring weight from front storage to rear storage?

I am guessing that a 250 lb increase in the rear will produce a similar (but probably less) decrease in pin weight. A couple of hundred lbs. decrease is a big deal to me as it is the difference in being within all specs or being over my yellow sticker numbers. Our Solitude is coming with H-rated tires, so I have no worries about the trailer side of things. Pin weights are always my concern.

As an aside, in Delaware, your truck and trailer are weighed as part of the inspection process, so I have a pretty good idea of where I stand every year! Additionally, there is an active at-speed braking test. I was pretty impressed...we moved here from NH where we never even inspected the trailer

Thanks in advance. I look forward to hearing from others and sharing my experiences with the new group!

DECelt