User Tag List

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cargo carrier questions; new Solitude 310-GK owner

Hi everyone. We are experienced fifth-wheelers, having had Carriage Cameos and Heartland Bighorns for the past 15 years or more. Lots of miles and lots of stories!

We are about to be the proud owners of a 2021 Solitude 30-GK and I am looking for experiences with cargo carriers on the back trailer hitch.

We tow with a SRW Ford F-350 diesel and are accustomed to being at or near max pin weight while being within the other specs of our tow vehicle. I'm sensitive to weights and balance.

It looks like this Solitude has a bit less storage space than our present Bighorn, so I have decided to add a cargo carrier to the rear factory hitch to store just about 250 lbs. of some of our heavier stuff...tools etc.

My questions for those that have done this.....have you noticed any significant difference in handling? What type of decrease have you seen in pin weights by transferring weight from front storage to rear storage?

I am guessing that a 250 lb increase in the rear will produce a similar (but probably less) decrease in pin weight. A couple of hundred lbs. decrease is a big deal to me as it is the difference in being within all specs or being over my yellow sticker numbers. Our Solitude is coming with H-rated tires, so I have no worries about the trailer side of things. Pin weights are always my concern.

As an aside, in Delaware, your truck and trailer are weighed as part of the inspection process, so I have a pretty good idea of where I stand every year! Additionally, there is an active at-speed braking test. I was pretty impressed...we moved here from NH where we never even inspected the trailer

Thanks in advance. I look forward to hearing from others and sharing my experiences with the new group!

DECelt

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    Hi everyone. We are experienced fifth-wheelers, having had Carriage Cameos and Heartland Bighorns for the past 15 years or more. Lots of miles and lots of stories!

We are about to be the proud owners of a 2021 Solitude 30-GK and I am looking for experiences with cargo carriers on the back trailer hitch.

We tow with a SRW Ford F-350 diesel and are accustomed to being at or near max pin weight while being within the other specs of our tow vehicle. I'm sensitive to weights and balance.

It looks like this Solitude has a bit less storage space than our present Bighorn, so I have decided to add a cargo carrier to the rear factory hitch to store just about 250 lbs. of some of our heavier stuff...tools etc.

My questions for those that have done this.....have you noticed any significant difference in handling? What type of decrease have you seen in pin weights by transferring weight from front storage to rear storage?

I am guessing that a 250 lb increase in the rear will produce a similar (but probably less) decrease in pin weight. A couple of hundred lbs. decrease is a big deal to me as it is the difference in being within all specs or being over my yellow sticker numbers. Our Solitude is coming with H-rated tires, so I have no worries about the trailer side of things. Pin weights are always my concern.

As an aside, in Delaware, your truck and trailer are weighed as part of the inspection process, so I have a pretty good idea of where I stand every year! Additionally, there is an active at-speed braking test. I was pretty impressed...we moved here from NH where we never even inspected the trailer

Thanks in advance. I look forward to hearing from others and sharing my experiences with the new group!

DECelt
    DECelt, I know my manual does not recommend adding any weight to the rear bumper. I think they only recommend a maximum of 100 pounds if my memory serves me right. However, I do like those little cargo racks that swing down. I would say you’d be OK if you could somehow tie it into the frame to have a stronger installation. I have the square tube bumper and installed a bike rack for 2-bicycles. The whole system probably weighs over 100 pounds, but I’ve had no issues so far. Congratulations on the new 310 GK! We love ours and I think you will love yours as well! -Diego

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gran Casita View Post
    DECelt, I know my manual does not recommend adding any weight to the rear bumper. I think they only recommend a maximum of 100 pounds if my memory serves me right. However, I do like those little cargo racks that swing down. I would say you’d be OK if you could somehow tie it into the frame to have a stronger installation. I have the square tube bumper and installed a bike rack for 2-bicycles. The whole system probably weighs over 100 pounds, but I’ve had no issues so far. Congratulations on the new 310 GK! We love ours and I think you will love yours as well! -Diego
    The new Solitudes do not have rear bumpers, but come with a frame-mounted hitch receiver. It is rated for 300 lbs. max tongue weight and 3,000 max tow weight.

@DECelt, we only have a two-bike rack on the back of our 310GK-R (maybe 120 lbs. total - if that), but my main concern would be the magnification of weight by G-forces by what ends up being a lever and fulcrum setup at the back end of a trailer. Those forces could easily double the 300 lbs. of rack and cargo on a bad road.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The new Solitudes do not have rear bumpers, but come with a frame-mounted hitch receiver. It is rated for 300 lbs. max tongue weight and 3,000 max tow weight.

@DECelt, we only have a two-bike rack on the back of our 310GK-R (maybe 120 lbs. total - if that), but my main concern would be the magnification of weight by G-forces by what ends up being a lever and fulcrum setup at the back end of a trailer. Those forces could easily double the 300 lbs. of rack and cargo on a bad road.

Rob
    Rob, I too shared your concerns about the surge in weight when traveling down the road...especially over these crappy roads these days. I actually researched how much movement the bike rack would make while underway. I surprisingly didn't see a whole lot, so I assumed a little "risk management" & installed the bike rack.

I can say that after several thousand miles over every kind of crappy road, the bumper or rack has not displayed any unusual wear-and-tear or deformation. The bracket that came with the bike carrier mounts to the rear bumper in a "sandwich" fashion. The only enhancement I made to this application was I inserted some steel plates to take-up the slack between the bolts & the surface of the bumper to prevent the bracket from moving laterally. So far I've had no issues and/or problems with this setup.

-Diego

2017 Ford F350 DRW 6.7L Custom Ordered
    2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles
    "Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself." -Potter Stewart

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I share those concerns but have to think that the dynamics of vehicle travel were factored into the weight rating for the receiver. I'm going to go for it, but plan on limiting the weight of the entire setup to 200 lbs or so including the carrier. That will give me about 150 lbs of storage. I will be using a hitch clamp to eliminate the bouncing of the carrier in the receiver. My best guess is that transferring 150 lbs to the back will equate to about 250 off of the pin. The weight that won't be put in the front storage plus the counterweight effect of putting it in the back. I would love to keep the Solitude within my truck's yellow sticker specs and that should about do it!

Thanks again for the replys. The Bighorn has been emptied and we take possession of the new 310 GK on the 6th. Hoping for an easy PDI this time.

Celt

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My question is, where did you find a cargo carrier rated for 250 pounds? Mine is only rated to carry 100 pounds.
    2020 Solitude 310GKR
    2003 F350 PSD

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennesseepowerstroke View Post
    My question is, where did you find a cargo carrier rated for 250 pounds? Mine is only rated to carry 100 pounds.
    Amazon...they have a bunch.

MaxxHaul 70422 48" x 21" Hitch Mount Compact Aluminum Cargo Carrier - 500-lb Load Capacity

Celt

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    Thanks. I share those concerns but have to think that the dynamics of vehicle travel were factored into the weight rating for the receiver. I'm going to go for it, but plan on limiting the weight of the entire setup to 200 lbs or so including the carrier. That will give me about 150 lbs of storage. I will be using a hitch clamp to eliminate the bouncing of the carrier in the receiver. My best guess is that transferring 150 lbs to the back will equate to about 250 off of the pin. The weight that won't be put in the front storage plus the counterweight effect of putting it in the back. I would love to keep the Solitude within my truck's yellow sticker specs and that should about do it!

Thanks again for the replys. The Bighorn has been emptied and we take possession of the new 310 GK on the 6th. Hoping for an easy PDI this time.

Celt
    DECelt, I would love hear an update on your hitch carrier experience. I just started second guessing my recent purchase/plan of putting a carrier on the back of my Reflection 29rs for storage of my 100 lb generator. I did pick up the clamps to keep things from bouncing around but I don't have any real life knowledge on how things will go. Also the carrier I purchased reccommends NOT using it on an RV and is rated at 500 lbs, but it was never stated on the product details. Anyone else out there been using a hitch carrier? Would love to hear any feedback. Thanks

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mexmahon View Post
    DECelt, I would love hear an update on your hitch carrier experience. I just started second guessing my recent purchase/plan of putting a carrier on the back of my Reflection 29rs for storage of my 100 lb generator. I did pick up the clamps to keep things from bouncing around but I don't have any real life knowledge on how things will go. Also the carrier I purchased reccommends NOT using it on an RV and is rated at 500 lbs, but it was never stated on the product details. Anyone else out there been using a hitch carrier? Would love to hear any feedback. Thanks
    Timing is everything. We just started our first extended trip with this setup. So far, Southern Delaware to Eastport Maine....about 800 miles.

So far so good. Our receiver rating is 300 lbs, the cargo carrier 500 lbs. Our cargo weight in the box is 175 lbs., So we are well within all specs.

No jouncing, bouncing or issues at all. I'm very pleased.

I used a pretty lightweight aluminum cargo box from Amazon. I reinforced the bottom with plywood sheathing and drilled through for eye bolts to secure the cargo inside the box. I then used the same cargo bolts to secure the box to the carrier using some angle steel under the carrier. For extra safety, I also use two rachet straps holding the box on the carrier and a mechanical clamp on the receiver to eliminate bounce.
    Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DECelt; 07-25-2021 at 03:24 PM.
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel