User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer wiring fault

We keep getting this on our 2013 F250 Diesel-trailer wiring fault. Took truck to ford everything is fine took rev to where we bought it and told us everything is fine. A year ago hooked up rv and no brakes all of a sudden brakes worked. Now we are getting that message again. Any ideas

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are using the in-bed connector, there is a connector in the bed, and a cable that connects to the wiring the runs to the back. If any one of those connection points is bad, that could do it. I'd check all of them. It might be intermittent.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trailer wiring fault message on a Ford indicates a bad break-away switch or a short on the trailer brake wiring circuit. Sometimes this error pops up when there is excessive moisture in the 7-pin connector. I would check connectors first, and then use a meter with the trailer unhooked to see if there is a short somewhere on the brake wiring circuit. Make sure your break-away switch doesnt have any issues either.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Trailer wiring fault message on a Ford indicates a bad break-away switch or a short on the trailer brake wiring circuit. Sometimes this error pops up when there is excessive moisture in the 7-pin connector. I would check connectors first, and then use a meter with the trailer unhooked to see if there is a short somewhere on the brake wiring circuit. Make sure your break-away switch doesnt have any issues either.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    After this troubleshooting, I would head straight back to each wheel location and examine the crimp connectors for the brake wiring. Have someone pull the breakaway as you listen to confirm the magnet has activated.

I cannot tell you how many of us have had issues with the crimp connectors for the brakes across many RV brands! They can look ok till you test them out. Corrosion is the issue, especially those of us living where roads are salted in the winter. Solder filled crimps with adhesive heat shrink are problem solvers!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One other place to look is the connection box at the end of the trailer plug on the trailer. Check there for loose wires, faulty ground, etc..
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is another possibility. On a previous trailer, I was getting the same warning. I bought a new pigtail for the trailer....didn't help. I bought a new 7 pin recept. for the truck....didn't help. Everytime I plugged in, it always seemed to be just ever so slightly a little loose (the plug and the recept. connection) and I couldn't figure out why. Well, it seems that the pigtail and the recpt. are of two different brands. Theoretically, it shouldn't matter what brand they are, they should be the same configuration and work equally as well. So what I did in order to try and fix it was this. Once I plugged in the pigtail to the truck, and the lid/cover for the truck recept fit into the plug housing to hold it in place, I put a Velcro strip/band around the outside of the plug/recept connector and pulled it as tight as I could....so there was ZERO movement between the plug and recept. That totally solved the problem for me and I never had another warning about the trailer being disconnected. To me, any brand should work with any brand of connectors.....just like the NEMA 14-50R and the NEMA 14-50P shore power connectors. Anyway, you might try that and see if it works for you.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When backing into a difficult site, we received “trailer wire fault” message. We took the truck to Ford dealer that checked out both 7 pin receptacles and both checked out fine. A nearby GD dealer said most of the time it’s the truck. Talked to GD CS who said the same. The message does not appear when unhooked from trailer. This morning we hooked up and drove around the campground testing the brake controller. Performed as expected. Whew for that! However, upon backing into our site, the message returned. The pigtail and break away were still securely in place.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.
    2019 F350 DRW, Crew Cab, Long bed,
    B&W Companion Hitch w/puck system
    2020 Solitude 310-GK

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rvlife View Post
    When backing into a difficult site, we received “trailer wire fault” message. We took the truck to Ford dealer that checked out both 7 pin receptacles and both checked out fine. A nearby GD dealer said most of the time it’s the truck. Talked to GD CS who said the same. The message does not appear when unhooked from trailer. This morning we hooked up and drove around the campground testing the brake controller. Performed as expected. Whew for that! However, upon backing into our site, the message returned. The pigtail and break away were still securely in place.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.
    Read my post, directly above your posting. Everything can look good, but not be. Try the strap around the connector as I suggested and see if it still happens. It's definitely a "cheap fix" if it works, as it did for me. If it doesn't, you sure aren't out much money.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think a loose connection would give the message “trailer disconnected.” We will try the strap. Just strange it has now occurred twice only when backing up. We travel again tomorrow so we will see.

We are week one into a 6.5 month journey. Sure don’t want a wiring issue.

When we went to a local dealer, they were quick to point out they’re booked out for two weeks. Little compassion for people traveling.
    2020 Solitude 310-GK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Read my post, directly above your posting. Everything can look good, but not be. Try the strap around the connector as I suggested and see if it still happens. It's definitely a "cheap fix" if it works, as it did for me. If it doesn't, you sure aren't out much money.
    Xrated: Thank you for the suggestion. We have since been using a Velcro strap to secure the trailer cord connection. So far, it has not given us another concern.
    2020 Solitude 310-GK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast