User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to the Grand Design Forum-question about a b&w hitch on ram 2500 short bed

I just purchased a used Reflection 303rls. I have never pulled a 5th wheel before. I am planning on a B&W hitch to be installed in my short bed truck. Will I be OK without a slider?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. I had a dodge ram 2500 ctd with a short bed and I have had two different b&w hitches, one with a slider and the last one without a slider so I got the non-slider because I never use the slider, I don't get myself in those situations to use it and plus it was a little heavy, so I bought a non-slider and had no need to having to need one.

Some would say that you should get a slider with a short bed and some would say they have never had to use one with a slider, so now I have a PullRite Superlite #2600 hitch that have been working for me and going on two years I haven't had a need for one. Now if you camp at State Parks or places where the site are very small you might need one but we don't go to State Parks, we normally go to places where the site are pretty large or where I can back it up without no problems.

There are some people that love their AUH (Anderson Ultimate Hitch) that have short beds and they don't have any problem backing up, most of course depending on the noise of your fiver can almost back up 85 to 90% back up. Mines is similar to the AUH but with a little different setup but it's work for me and I can put it in the back of my pickup and take it out with no problem, it weight about 60lbs so yeah, I'm sure that other will chime in also.
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the B&W Slider Hitch and love it. I never need to worry about crunching the back of my cab, the rig, or worse both.
    You"ll hate yourself after crushing things and things happened. Then there is the DOW! And if you don't have it and you do crush them, now you have a larger insurance claim, just saying.
    Since I have had it. I have used it twice in tight areas. Small parks, tight camp spots. The comfort of knowing that I have it if I need it is priceless. Wouldn't do it any other way.
    Check out my signature below.
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my slider too. You never know when you will need it. I use it to back into my driveway from a narrow road. I maybe could get by without it but it would be very close and now one less thing to think about. I also use it everytime I arrive at a campground. With the hitch is the aft position, I can open the door under the overhang if needed to get chocks etc. I can duck under the overhang and walk from side to side to chock the wheels and adjust the front jacks (hole position). In the aft position, the pivot point is now 12" more to the rear behind the axle so the trailer responds quicker to steering inputs when backing a little more like a travel trailer.
    2019 303RLS Reflection 5th Wheel
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC/SB/SRW 6.7L Diesel
    B&W Companion Slider Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 2017 Ram truck with a B&W Patriot 16K hitch. I never had a problem but I had a different 5th wheel and the nose cap was more rounded than the Grand Designs. If I still had the truck I would have gotten a slider or a Reese Airborne Sidewinder King Pin.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Icefysh View Post
    I just purchased a used Reflection 303rls. I have never pulled a 5th wheel before. I am planning on a B&W hitch to be installed in my short bed truck. Will I be OK without a slider?
    I started with an Andersen and switched to the Blue Ox slider. I nicked the truck rails with it set forward and was reluctant to reverse it after my friend destroyed his rear window backing his similar RV. He solved the problem by adding an extender to his goose ball which wasn’t an option for me. I am very happy I went with the slider. Unlike some, I always slide the hitch before backing and open the truck tailgate. I believe that the trailer is more steerable with the extra 12” lever arm. It literally takes less than 30 seconds to slide it and it makes it easier to get around between the truck and RV, access the front compartment, and very hard to hit anything. It is also easier to see the hitch when hitching up. People get by without sliders but for me the 30 seconds is worth not having to worry about hitting the truck when backing into the site - plenty of other things to focus on.
    2018 Reflection 303rls, MORryde IS
    2017 Ford F-350 CC SB SRW 6.7L Diesel
    Blue Ox Super Ride hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Icefysh View Post
    Will I be OK without a slider?
    That is only a question you can answer. We elected to go with a PullRite Superglide auto slider and have no regrets.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    I have a 2013 Ram 2500 short bed, with the B&W slider. I have only used it once or twice in tight situations. Like others have said its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Diesel man. I really struggled with the decision. I decided to go with the B &W Companion without the slider. Cost and weight being a factor. I hope I don't regret it, but my trial run went well. I hope I won't need it. I appreciate the response.