User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Excitement of "The First Time".

We've been having fun watching all the folks posing at the entrance to the National Parks we've been visiting. You know - the requisite family photo standing in front of the big sign right before the park entry.

It reminded me of the first time we made a cross country family trip. It was in 1993! Wow - got to thinking of that today when I saw a mom and dad sitting the young children on the wall for the "photo-op". We waved at them all and they waved back.

Now we just drive past those signs. I think on the 4 week family trip back we did back in '93 and did the same thing! Even stopping at state lines when we could to get photo.

I constantly have to remind myself, and we remind each other, to be patient with the new-comers. Sometimes I just forget that we went through the new experience. And sometimes I just roll my eyes at the things I see. Often we might try to suggest things to others who seem new at this to help them along. Most times it is met with a huge thanks, a few tips passed along, and well wishes for safe travels. Sometimes I think I would have been better off just keeping to myself.

Anyhow - I thought of all this today as we went in and out of NPs and smiled thinking how even now our kids would like to come along and of how nice it would be if we all could re-live it again.

Welcome to all the first-timers and newcomers!
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How right you are Larry. I remember stopping and taking those pictures when our kids were young. In fact, the main reason we got into rv’ing and camping was to make great memories for our kids. I think we were successful.

I remember when we were first starting out and on occasion a seasoned veteran would help me out. I always appreciated the gesture, even if I didn’t need the help. Now I am happy to help others if I can and they want the help.

Some people don’t like to be camped next to a family with lots of kids. I love it. Brings back great memories..

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like to see all of the new families camping with their kids. My grandkids love meeting the new kids and "teaching" them the ins and outs of the campgrounds we frequent with them.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have all been in "the first time" position at some point of our traveling/camping lives. Last year on our way north we overnighted at a KOA and while walking one of the dogs I saw a mother and young teen daughter looking very puzzled as they were hooking the blue water filter up..must have flipped it over 4 times that I saw. Me and the pup walked over asked if they wanted help (which they did) Then offered advice on how to hook up the blue filter with a pressure regulator in line and asked if there was any other help they needed. Both were so appriciative of the help but especially Mom, they had been trying to set up for about an hour . For the most part they had done pretty good for their 1st time out in their new little hybrid trailer.
    That kind of reminded me of when my Mom and I would head out on road trips, but we did it a tent!

There have been more families out full timing than we have ever seen. Most have been great and the kids were well behaved and polite . 2 families came and went across from us and both times I walked over and complimented the parents on how well behaved the kids were and how good they have done with their kids, both gave huge proud smiles and big thanks for the compliment. .. Then the exception of a couple month stay of one family that never watched the kids , sent the little monsters to run wild and be destructive throughout the campground all day long . Very thankful they were not near us. I think most of the park could not wait for them to leave and celebrated when they did.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    We have all been in "the first time" position at some point of our traveling/camping lives.....
    Then the exception of a couple month stay of one family that never watched the kids , sent the little monsters to run wild and be destructive throughout the campground all day long . Very thankful they were not near us. I think most of the park could not wait for them to leave and celebrated when they did.
    There is always that exception. Even with the group we camp with on Memorial day weekend. There is one couple who rarely watch their children, and we camp next to a creek. Usually either my wife or myself end up watching their small children play in the creek, even if our grandkids are not there playing at the time. We don't mind it - except they never say they are leaving or when they will be back. They do, however, say thank you when they get back.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our first cross country family RV trip was in 1998. We took al the 'sign' pictures....and we still do. Couple years ago it was Badlands SD, Cody WY, Yellowstone, Jasper....Got all the signs lol.

One of the things we notice 'first timers' do is yell at each other when parking the trailer. Wife and I can be sitting under the awning having an evening beverage watching/hearing the yelling at another site for not giving the right instructions or not hearing the other person.......and remembering we did that at first too.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Our first cross country family RV trip was in 1998. We took al the 'sign' pictures....and we still do. Couple years ago it was Badlands SD, Cody WY, Yellowstone, Jasper....Got all the signs lol.

One of the things we notice 'first timers' do is yell at each other when parking the trailer. Wife and I can be sitting under the awning having an evening beverage watching/hearing the yelling at another site for not giving the right instructions or not hearing the other person.......and remembering we did that at first too.
    Yeah - that's one thing the backup camera helped with. NO YELLING AT EACH OTHER. We set up faster, get our beverage and listen to others yell at each other
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny, never did think about taking pictures while on the way to destination. Frustrating now because I can't recall all of the states we stayed in, let alone the campgrounds between NH and AZ. Took pictures of the kids in the campgrounds but not staged. 5 kids and 8500 miles was a lot of fun in 1999. Miss those times and even our youngest seem to recall the trip.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know exactly what you are talking about. This was us on our maiden voyage back in 2005, 7,500 miles over 5 weeks. Our oldest (on the left and now 27) ended up getting a degree in environmental science and being a fire fighter working for the forest service and he says that camping was his motivation. All three kids say that camping was the best things we ever did. We visited 17 national parks when they were young and have pictures at the entrance to most of them and I am so happy that I did even though it might be corny.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glacier Nat Entrance2 - Family.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	33207
    Long Island, New York

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No yelling while backing up trailer - use cell phones!

Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    Yeah - that's one thing the backup camera helped with. NO YELLING AT EACH OTHER. We set up faster, get our beverage and listen to others yell at each other
    Although the backup cameras help us, nothing like just talking to each other on cell phones: one person behind the steering wheel, and the other person outside.

Of course, if there's no cell coverage... it is back to yelling unless we manage to find those old small walkie-talkies!

We were all noobies at one time. :-)
    2019 Imagine 2970RL 34' Travel Trailer, pulled by 2019 Ford F-250 Lariat Diesel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast