User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    RV Trip Wizard is an on-line app to plan RV trips and campground stays. It was offered to members for a while with paid forum membership, but I'm not sure if that's still in effect. Perhaps @Janet H could clarify for us.

I don't know if my input on travel distances would be helpful to you in your situation. We're retired and travel like old people - no more than 200 miles or 4 hours per day if we can help it (places like west Texas are an exception). We wait until everyone is at work or school to get on the roads and we're off the roads before folks get back on them in the afternoon. We like to alternate one and two-night stops so we'll have a day of rest every few days. Our first year of full-timing, we were forced into a 300+ mile day with a late start due to icing in the morning. We were beat when we pulled in a swore, "Never again!" We're pulling 220 miles this Sunday from Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD, to Richmond, VA... around Baltimore and DC on I-95 - yuck! It's a "have to" trip to move my 90 year old mother-in-law to assisted living.

Rob
    I'd like to add to Rob's post about RV Trip Wizard - you can set what you think will be your average speed. Don't use your driving speed, use your average that would include stops for food, fuel, rest areas, etc. I set mine at 53mph. And then the DW and I joke that a 3 hours drive will actually be 4 the way we travel.

Driving time/distance is entirely a personal choice. We find 6 to 8 hour days to be tolerable but avoid them as best as we can. But, like Rob, we're retired.

My best tip might be that you start driving and around noon or 1pm decide how much longer you want to travel and call ahead for a campground. It beats just driving to a location and finding that there aren't any sites available. And it relaxes you as you continue on the rest of the day (or into the evening).
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ACDogs View Post
    I'll look ay Sygic Truck, thanks. I spent 48 years in NW Pa so familiar with the driving there. This trip is all interstate driving to get to destinations to see family and old friends. With the way things are with campgrounds running full all we can do is plan the trip, make reservations and deal with what comes, I'm a little nervous being locked into reservations but more nervous about having to hunt a place to stop after driving all day. 400 mile days @ 8 hours on the road sounds doable to us, we'll see what we think after 6 days I guess.
    We just did Chicago to Florida stopped in Tennessee on the way there. GPS said six hours to Tennessee took nine hours doing the speed limit. From Tennessee to Florida It said nine hours It took 12 hours doing the speed limit so I don’t know what Google map does but take that into account. It was unbearable especially with children. Our trip out to Yellowstone this summer we are stopping every four hours and every four hours back. And a minimum of two days at each stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rest days aren't in the cards with limited time available. Next year when we're both retired that will change.
    If it were me I'd punch in a couple 12 to 14 hour days in the beginning when you're fresh. Especially with two drivers. I'd be up at 5am and drive until supper time, or if I still felt alert, go a couple more.
    Just try to avoid larger cities between 0800 and 0900, and between 1600 and 1800. And if I couldn't find a campsite, then truck stop or walmart it is, cuz from the sound of it, you need to cover some miles in a short time.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just came across this in another thread about trip planning:

"If this is your first big trip, I would definitely would use a tool like Trip Wizard to plan the trip. As a member of our forum you are already a member of Trip Wizard."

Can someone explain what this means?
    RV Trip Wizard is a planning tool (subscription req) specifically designed for rvers that is especially useful for planning routes, calculating drive times, locating parks and avoiding hazard. It's offered by RV Life (sister site to this one). I'll send you a discount coupon via PM
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. | Dr. Seuss

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreenblade View Post
    We just did Chicago to Florida stopped in Tennessee on the way there. GPS said six hours to Tennessee took nine hours doing the speed limit. From Tennessee to Florida It said nine hours It took 12 hours doing the speed limit so I don’t know what Google map does but take that into account. It was unbearable especially with children. Our trip out to Yellowstone this summer we are stopping every four hours and every four hours back. And a minimum of two days at each stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yep - Google Maps is notorious for under estimating the drive time. I figure it's because they figure you drive the maximum speed limit all the time with NO stops. That's just not practical for RVers. Or old folks who make lots of rest stops.....

For every 3 hours google or Waze says we figure 4 hours. Even our Garmin RV890, which I set to 55mph max speed tends to under estimate drive time.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We plan out no more than 400 miles a day (350 is the sweet spot) and average 60 mph.

If google maps say 6 hrs, it actually turns out to be 7.5 hrs (add roughly 15 min to every hour) Google Maps determines time by driving the speed limit, which we never do.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsdad60 View Post

If google maps say 6 hrs, it actually turns out to be 7.5 hrs (add roughly 15 min to every hour) Google Maps determines time by driving the speed limit, which we never do.
    I will usually map out my route using google maps. If it is less than 4 hours I will add an hour. If more than 4 hours I will add 2 hours. This is in the Midwest where everything is relatively flat. I will add more if in the mountains.

I did a 12 hour marathon pulling our old TT once. When it was getting dark we hit a thunderstorm while in a construction zone. It was the most stressful worst drive of my life. Never again.

Mark

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I'd like to add to Rob's post about RV Trip Wizard - you can set what you think will be your average speed. Don't use your driving speed, use your average that would include stops for food, fuel, rest areas, etc. I set mine at 53mph. And then the DW and I joke that a 3 hours drive will actually be 4 the way we travel.

Driving time/distance is entirely a personal choice. We find 6 to 8 hour days to be tolerable but avoid them as best as we can. But, like Rob, we're retired.

My best tip might be that you start driving and around noon or 1pm decide how much longer you want to travel and call ahead for a campground. It beats just driving to a location and finding that there aren't any sites available. And it relaxes you as you continue on the rest of the day (or into the evening).
    @Second Chance and @traveldawg Echo what they said but seems the best laid plans go awry, no matter what we plan we end up getting slowed down due to traffic jams, road construction or accidents. We try not to go over 400 miles / day but sometimes its dictated by the geographic area we travel through, big cities in our path, availability of "reasonable" camping sites and so forth. One time we got stopped because of an accident that blocked the interstate, sat in traffic for almost 3 hours, made us really late getting into our next destination. Plan as best you can, and deal with what comes up.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 04-03-2021 at 10:11 AM. Reason: added reasonable
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're in the club of 50 miles per hour including breaks etc. Like Rob we don't leave until work traffic dies down. If we were going to make this trip we would stop and see stuff along the way. We would also stop like Rob and have an extra night every 1 to 3 days. So we would makes this a 2 or 3 week trip one way. But we're retired.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess my wife and I are a bit different than most on here. We typically leave out by 7AM and drive 5-600 miles per day. I like to stick to 500 but have done well over 600 many times and never get over 70MPH -usually about 65-67. And what others have said about google maps -add about 10-15 minutes to each hour for a more accurate ETA.
    2019 Ford F250SD FX4
    2020 Reflection MKS320

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast