User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daily distance and average speed cross country?

We're in the planning stages of a September trip from Arizona to Maryland to western Pennsylvania then back to Arizona. 2400 miles to our destination in Md and 2100 miles from Pa back home to Az.. We've done some big mile days with previous travel trailers and did 3 -700 mile days with a Penske truck moving to Az in 2005 (never again) but have never done back to back 5 or 6 long days with a TT. I'm interested in what people get for average speed for 400 to 500 miles/day driving. We both drive and will have 2 dogs along on this trip that travel pretty well. We have a pretty efficient traveling routine but I just never kept track of miles/hours on 1 day runs. 6 - 400 mile days or 5 - 500 mile days. I'm thinking if we could average 50mph start to stop we'd be lucky.

Thanks
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2018 Titan CC 4x4

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ACDogs View Post
    We're in the planning stages of a September trip from Arizona to Maryland to western Pennsylvania then back to Arizona. 2400 miles to our destination in Md and 2100 miles from Pa back home to Az.. We've done some big mile days with previous travel trailers and did 3 -700 mile days with a Penske truck moving to Az in 2005 (never again) but have never done back to back 5 or 6 long days with a TT. I'm interested in what people get for average speed for 400 to 500 miles/day driving. We both drive and will have 2 dogs along on this trip that travel pretty well. We have a pretty efficient traveling routine but I just never kept track of miles/hours on 1 day runs. 6 - 400 mile days or 5 - 500 mile days. I'm thinking if we could average 50mph start to stop we'd be lucky.

Thanks
    We plan no more than 400 miles, at an average speed of 65 on the freeway. Thank makes 6 hour days. I would recommend putting a non-drive day in the middle just to rest and recoup; but that's just me being lazy!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. 400 miles divided by 65 mph is 6.15 hours, agreed, but what is your total trip time from the time you leave your spot in the morning until you pull into your spot in the afternoon? Are you able to drive 400 miles straight through? If you spend 1 hour off the road for BR breaks, lunch, fuel, etc. your trip average drops to 53 mph.

Rest days aren't in the cards with limited time available. Next year when we're both retired that will change.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2018 Titan CC 4x4

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just came across this in another thread about trip planning:

"If this is your first big trip, I would definitely would use a tool like Trip Wizard to plan the trip. As a member of our forum you are already a member of Trip Wizard."

Can someone explain what this means?
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2018 Titan CC 4x4

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I usually budget an average speed of 50 mph - so 6 hrs, 300 miles, 8 hrs 400 miles, etc. That's assuming interstates mostly, and a real moving speed of 65+. But the slower rate builds in time used for potty breaks, gas, meals, etc.
    These days we try to not go more than 5-6 hrs between stops. But we don't have to get back in a specific time frame. The days of doing a non-stop from New York City to Minneapolis are long past us.....

When this site changed ownership, paid members were granted a free membership in RV Trip Wizard (maybe for one year??) as a thank you. That may still be the case. It won't hurt to try to log in - same username and password you use for this forum.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truly, it depends on the routing you intend with your trip. If you're going to stick to interstates, highways and major arteries, use something like Sygic Truck and it will map the trucking routes to your destinations. When you set it up with your specific rig and driving habits, its timing is pretty on-point barring the unexpected traffic interruption. If you're planning scenic byways, you'll be traveling much slower for necessities of the route. The portion of your trip in MD and PA, expect to be a slow leg of your run. Also, and it seems like an unwritten rule of the universe, but when trying to cram so much in so little time something will always occur that grenades the schedule... Buffer is best, but have a plan B if it's a matter of affecting something like work if you inadvertently lose a day or two.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll look ay Sygic Truck, thanks. I spent 48 years in NW Pa so familiar with the driving there. This trip is all interstate driving to get to destinations to see family and old friends. With the way things are with campgrounds running full all we can do is plan the trip, make reservations and deal with what comes, I'm a little nervous being locked into reservations but more nervous about having to hunt a place to stop after driving all day. 400 mile days @ 8 hours on the road sounds doable to us, we'll see what we think after 6 days I guess.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2018 Titan CC 4x4

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ACDogs View Post
    I just came across this in another thread about trip planning:

"If this is your first big trip, I would definitely would use a tool like Trip Wizard to plan the trip. As a member of our forum you are already a member of Trip Wizard."

Can someone explain what this means?
    RV Trip Wizard is an on-line app to plan RV trips and campground stays. It was offered to members for a while with paid forum membership, but I'm not sure if that's still in effect. Perhaps @Janet H could clarify for us.

I don't know if my input on travel distances would be helpful to you in your situation. We're retired and travel like old people - no more than 200 miles or 4 hours per day if we can help it (places like west Texas are an exception). We wait until everyone is at work or school to get on the roads and we're off the roads before folks get back on them in the afternoon. We like to alternate one and two-night stops so we'll have a day of rest every few days. Our first year of full-timing, we were forced into a 300+ mile day with a late start due to icing in the morning. We were beat when we pulled in and swore, "Never again!" We're pulling 220 miles this Sunday from Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD, to Richmond, VA... around Baltimore and DC on I-95 - yuck! It's a "have to" trip to move my 90 year old mother-in-law to assisted living.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 04-08-2021 at 08:42 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are planning a trip out west this fall from the Knoxville, TN area and our first destination is Williams, AZ. This will right at 1800 miles and it is our plan to do 5 days of traveling. Most days will be in the 350+ mile range, with one day right at 400 miles. Two factors come into play here....I will leave with approx. 95 gallons of diesel fuel onboard and fuel stops will only be at the end of the day after the camper has been parked and I can drive just the truck to a fueling station. 2. Both of us will be sharing the driving times while the other rests....AND, from the time we leave till the time we arrive...all the distance will be on interstate highways, with the exception of, from our house to the interstate, and of course when we get off the interstate and head for a campground at the end of the day. With all of that in mind, no fuel stops will be needed while actually traveling on the highway. We will have BR breaks of course and since we are taking our dog with us, BR breaks for him too. Hopefully, most of that can be done on highway rest stops.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like others have mentioned, there's a lot of variables. The fact that you both will be driving makes a big difference. My DW doesn't but she does copilot, sometimes a lot. Lol We usually plan for 2 x 2-3hrs leg. So thats 4 to 6 hrs per day. Sometimes more sometimes less. It really depends. We go be time and not mileage. Again, it all depends. We have done more in a day. If we do do long days, we schedule a rest day after 2 driving days. Plus, where ever you are, I'm sure there's something to see and visit. Isn't it a journey and not a race. [emoji6]. But that's us, YMMV.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast