User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I would plan for 350-400 mi a day, take rest stops every 1 1/2 - 2 hrs to streach and let the Dogs out. If you push for the long days you'll it will be exhausting. Enjoy the scenery!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Driving through Atlanta can be a nightmare, we go through on weekends and early in mornings. On return trip from Florida camping we always stay south of Atlanta for night and then leave very early on Sunday morning. We drive straight through on Int 85 and stay off Int 285 bypass with all the semi trucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    We just pulled our Solitude through Georgia and "around" Atlanta. Hours and hours and hours in stop and go traffic! We've never seen it this bad. I turned off the power to the hydraulic disk brake power pack because I was afraid of burning it up...

I wish you the best, but your hours and miles formulae doesn't fare so well in Georgia!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We Drive no more than 300 miles per day and drive no faster than 63. We stay 2 nights every second or third day. Why wear yourself out, whats the hurry?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluecorners View Post
    We Drive no more than 300 miles per day and drive no faster than 63. We stay 2 nights every second or third day. Why wear yourself out, whats the hurry?
    We both aren't retired and PTO days aren't unlimited. This 23 day trip includes 11 400 mile days. 300 mile days and 3 rest days would be 18 days on the road leaving 5 days with family and friends. Hardly seems worth the trip. I'm hoping 400 miles will be around 8 hours giving us decent rest time.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2018 Titan CC 4x4

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ACDogs View Post
    We both aren't retired and PTO days aren't unlimited. This 23 day trip includes 11 400 mile days. 300 mile days and 3 rest days would be 18 days on the road leaving 5 days with family and friends. Hardly seems worth the trip. I'm hoping 400 miles will be around 8 hours giving us decent rest time.
    You likely won't have this kind of problem out west (though we've run into sand storms that closed I-10 near the NM/AZ border for hours), but we just finished a round-trip from Aberdeen, MD, to Richmond, VA and back this past week. The trip down took an 1-1/2 hours longer than it should have due to a closure of all lanes of I-95 southbound due to a police chase and fatal crash that resulted in a long detour. Traffic was so congested on the way back Saturday that it took us eight hours to travel 212 miles... an average of 26.5 MPH with no suitable work-around. An old cliché in the Army says that a battle plan lasts until contact with the enemy...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you're going to be making the trip in September, there will still be road construction going on. When mapping out campground stays I try to limit it to 350 miles - maximum of 400. I've done over 550 going home from upper Michigan, but I knew when I arrived all I had to do was pull into the driveway and not bother with any set-up, disconnecting, etc. The next day I could tell that I had done more than I should, but it didn't seem right to camp out one more night within a few hours of getting home. On our last trip to Michigan, I saw a backup (going the other way thankfully) due to road construction of over 10 miles just barely moving.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interstate driving 500 miles really isn’t all that bad. I’ve done 700 , but I didn’t like it. I also tend to hit it harder the first couple of days , then start tapering off. The problem on that length trip is finding parks spaced appropriately , and with the current RV trends I would want reservations. You can save a little time if you can stay hooked up to your truck , and do sewer hookup every second or third travel day. Doesn’t seem like much , but it all adds up. Safe travels to y’all.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    We plan no more than 400 miles, at an average speed of 65 on the freeway. Thank makes 6 hour days. I would recommend putting a non-drive day in the middle just to rest and recoup; but that's just me being lazy!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    This is the same for us.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan 50/hr because I know we will have stops and traffic, and drive 65. We use Walmarts enroute, so however far we get in ~12 hours is where we are.

12 hours driving (not including meal/fuel breaks) is usually our max, and my wife and I trade off 40/20/40... that gets us a few hours short of Yellowstone in two long days, and in the park on the third just as campgrounds are checking out.

Time off is limited, and we want to maximize our time at the parks or destination.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drove from Moab, UT to Long Island, NY in 42 hours straight (2,200 miles) after a motor failure on our TV. Had to get a one way rental at the airport in Grand Junction, CO and then drive home (Long Island) without the camper with wife, three kids, and a dog so I didn't lose my job. It wasn't fun but it was doable. Then after six weeks flew back out to Denver and drove to Moab to pick up the repaired vehicle and camper. This time drove back solo to LI over two days (stopped in Illinois). Your mileage may vary.
    Long Island, New York

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast