Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreenblade View Post
    I had an Incident last week when everyone on i65 slowed down to a stop quickly. Doing 65mph pulling 7100lbs I stopped on a dime. I was amazed with my 1/2 ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And how big was that dime?
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    My GMC has down hill assist. I think every modern truck does. I rarely have to use the brakes
    I find these posts funny. My truck has bigger and better brakes than HD trucks had just over 10 years ago but no body said anything about them

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    No, not every truck has decent control. 1/2 ton RWD does not come with it. And you may not get it with 1/2 ton 4WD if you don't get the right package. Most HD trucks do have it, but some gasser HD it's an option. I believe most, if not all, diesels have engine braking. My truck (2020 F-250 Diesel with RWD) has engine braking but not hill decent. That is 4WD only and is part of an option package. As for better brakes than 10 years ago, yeah that's right BUT today's trailers are bigger and heavier, drivers are speeding more, there are more vehicles on the road and roads are in much poorer shape than 10 years ago.

Then there's the issue if you depend on hill decent and it fails, will you still be able to safely stop while your trailer brakes are burned up and your truck brakes are glowing orange. I've seen too many rigs on the downhill side of mountain pass roads with their brakes smoking and some on fire. Last trip, a new GMC had its front brakes on fire while towing a 38 ft 5th wheel on the ID side of I-90. Another rig and myself stopped to use fire extinguishers to try to put out the fire. The truck had 350 miles on the odometer and the driver admitted to staying on the brakes to control his speed down the 6% grade which runs about 4-5 miles. I don't know what he told his insurance company, but there was a police and fire report. One more thing, both front tires were melted so he wasn't going anywhere for a while.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by more tired since retired View Post
    No, not every truck has decent control. 1/2 ton RWD does not come with it. And you may not get it with 1/2 ton 4WD if you don't get the right package. Most HD trucks do have it, but some gasser HD it's an option. I believe most, if not all, diesels have engine braking. My truck (2020 F-250 Diesel with RWD) has engine braking but not hill decent. That is 4WD only and is part of an option package. As for better brakes than 10 years ago, yeah that's right BUT today's trailers are bigger and heavier, drivers are speeding more, there are more vehicles on the road and roads are in much poorer shape than 10 years ago.

Then there's the issue if you depend on hill decent and it fails, will you still be able to safely stop while your trailer brakes are burned up and your truck brakes are glowing orange. I've seen too many rigs on the downhill side of mountain pass roads with their brakes smoking and some on fire. Last trip, a new GMC had its front brakes on fire while towing a 38 ft 5th wheel on the ID side of I-90. Another rig and myself stopped to use fire extinguishers to try to put out the fire. The truck had 350 miles on the odometer and the driver admitted to staying on the brakes to control his speed down the 6% grade which runs about 4-5 miles. I don't know what he told his insurance company, but there was a police and fire report. One more thing, both front tires were melted so he wasn't going anywhere for a while.
    Descent control worries me.
    I think it still uses the service brakes to maintain speed.
    I may very well be wrong, and have no proof to back up my 'feeling'.

But, if it does use the service brakes, it is essentially riding those brakes down the hill with disastrous results, as you saw on I-90...

After many decades of driving 'heavy', the one thing that rookies learn in the hills after scaring themselves on a downhill run is; Slow the F' Down.

The math shows why; twice as much heat in a 70mph stop as a 50mph stop...
    That 20mph extra is the difference between having control, and smoking your brakes.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk
    2021 Transcend 261bh
    2021 Ford F-150 3.5eb

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are tools, use them correctly and maintain them and they will keep you safe.
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Hill descent control” is an off-road, 4x4 only function, kind of like slow downhill cruise control. It only works at 14 mph and slower, possibly only in 4-wheel drive (it’s this way in Toyota land). It works by engaging the abs system to pulse the brakes to maintain a slow speed downhill and preventing an uncontrollable slide off-road or any other slick downhill surface. This is totally different than “Engine grade braking”, tow/haul mode, trailer sway control or exhaust braking.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mUSt bE spECial

Quote Originally Posted by iproff1 View Post
    Your post is totally irrelevant to this thread. The tread is not about 1/2 tons or any size truck for that matter it's about how trucks are rated in 4 categories that are important to tow something. When someone says well you can tow it but good luck stopping it they are clueless to the standards of that truck.
    Might apply to a new truck with new components, but try it with 150,000 miles on the clock and worn parts, trans, brakes, tires, steering and engine, not so much. If you watch the video you can see the the truck is right on the edge of failure on the tests. Certainly this is not a test that shows how one would could drive a truck on a 1000 mile camping trip towing weight close to or at it`s maximum. Looks like all tests are just a snap shot of what the truck can barely endure in 300 ft.
    I`ll stick with my dually that is pulling a 40 footer well under it`s capabilities for a safe unnerving trip. But one can justify a F150 in their mind because it`s hard to ask the wife to spend big money on a new truck after buying an expensive trailer that taxes you truck to it`s maximum. You know the old saying......." If your going to play you have to pay " just tell her that`s the way it is.

The only consolation is that all the manufactures have agreed to play by the same rules now and all the posts that brag about how my truck is better than yours is a bunch of whooy. But one brand does seem to sell more trucks year after year after year, you figure it out.
    Last edited by bshgto; 04-10-2021 at 09:34 AM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair most 1/2 tons will be fine in most conditions if towing heavy. Upgrade to an HD truck and the amount of conditions you have control over will increase.
    Sorta like wearing a 1/2 helmet vs a full face helmet when riding a motorcycle. The 1/2 helmet will be fine under many conditions, but the full face will offer more protection in more conditions.
    In the end commons sense wins.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah if you go by the thread a half ton can only pull a pop up trailer a2500 30 ft or under pull behind or a fifth wheel under 10,000 lbs a one ton dually 15,000 lbs and you need a semi for anthing over that

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by That 1 Ron View Post
    “Hill descent control” is an off-road, 4x4 only function, kind of like slow downhill cruise control. It only works at 14 mph and slower, possibly only in 4-wheel drive (it’s this way in Toyota land). It works by engaging the abs system to pulse the brakes to maintain a slow speed downhill and preventing an uncontrollable slide off-road or any other slick downhill surface. This is totally different than “Engine grade braking”, tow/haul mode, trailer sway control or exhaust braking.
    This is my understanding of "Hill Descent Control" as well for both GM and Ford - only active at low speed (Ford's cut-off is 20mph). One of several reasons I bought the F450 - Big ****** Breaks.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto View Post
    This is my understanding of "Hill Descent Control" as well for both GM and Ford - only active at low speed (Ford's cut-off is 20mph). One of several reasons I bought the F450 - Big ****** Breaks.
    GM “grade assist” is not low speed

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast