User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
    This makes me feel sooo much better. I thought I was the only RAM owner out here getting less than 12-15 towing. Two HO RAMs , +30k miles towing. Long term average 8.2 mpg. I have seen upper 9’s , but also mid 6’s. DEF usage averages one gallon to 50 gallons of diesel , or within a few miles of 400 per.
    Charlie
    You are not alone, our 2018 Ram gets @ 10 mpg overall average towing. In two years towing the Solitude the lowest we have gotten is a hair under 8 mpg, the highest 11 mpg towing. Depends on head winds, road terrain, hills, mountains, you get the picture. 18-20 not towing. But we haven't towed in high mountains yet.
    For our RAM and DEF usage, weather / ambient temperature plays a big part, during summer or warm weather towing, usage is lower, we can go @700 miles on a DEF tank, we fill DEF when gauge needle is 1/4. Again some of that depends on the road terrain, flat towing is always better. Not towing we get way over 3000 miles on a DEF tank.

Winter or cold weather towing (@35-40 degrees F) the DEF usage goes way up, maybe half the DEF mileage of warm weather towing. We have @ 46K miles on the cummins at this point.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always carry a 2.5 gallon box with me when traveling just in case but one thing I know for sure, they have to come up with a better spout on these containers. They're a pain in the neck trying not to spill any.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWNY View Post
    I always carry a 2.5 gallon box with me when traveling just in case but one thing I know for sure, they have to come up with a better spout on these containers. They're a pain in the neck trying not to spill any.
    Not sure what brand truck you have, signatures dont show up with Tapatalk. I know for Ford, Ford makes a spout that screws onto the DEF box and is spill proof. I keep it with me for emergencies, but I generally try to fill up DEF at the pump, almost half the price per gallon compared to the box.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll add, my '19 RAM 3500 with the HO drinks DEF at nearly twice what my Chevy Dmax did. And since it seems I am always going uphill, a good day is 11.5 mpg towing. It will be interesting to see if there will be much difference between my current tt, and the 5th wheel I have on order.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Not sure what brand truck you have, signatures dont show up with Tapatalk. I know for Ford, Ford makes a spout that screws onto the DEF box and is spill proof. I keep it with me for emergencies, but I generally try to fill up DEF at the pump, almost half the price per gallon compared to the box.

I have a Silverado 2500HD I have a funnel but it doesn't work very well. I can't find one that fits in the small DEF fill hole that is long enough and large enough to pour the DEF into so I stick the supplied plastic hose in. It always drips out of the air intake area of the spout. PITA

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWNY View Post
    I have a Silverado 2500HD I have a funnel but it doesn't work very well. I can't find one that fits in the small DEF fill hole that is long enough and large enough to pour the DEF into so I stick the supplied plastic hose in. It always drips out of the air intake area of the spout. PITA
    Below is the Ford version, there are reviews from people with other than Ford vehicles that say it worked for them. I didnt see a Chevrolet specific version, but it might be worth trying if you're struggling with the boxed DEF. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210412-092244_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	33362

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In filing the DEF, I just bought a cheap funnel from Walmart. Keep it in a bag in the truck. BTDT with the ones that come with the jug.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123