User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Propane bottle straps, 303RLS

I am just doing some preventative maintenance. The cheap tie down straps for the propane bottles are rusting, and I am making some heavy duty replacements. Unfortunately our RV is in storage and I can't take the measurements myself, but the existing straps are held in place in the propane cupboard with two sheet metal screws drilled through the strap holding it to the back wall of the cupboard. Can someone measure the distance between the two screws on one of the straps?
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...editprofilepic
    2019 Grand Design 303RLS
    2016 RAM 3500 SRW 6.7 I6 Cummins Diesel
    Tottenham, ON Canada

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cqyqte View Post
    I am just doing some preventative maintenance. The cheap tie down straps for the propane bottles are rusting, and I am making some heavy duty replacements. Unfortunately our RV is in storage and I can't take the measurements myself, but the existing straps are held in place in the propane cupboard with two sheet metal screws drilled through the strap holding it to the back wall of the cupboard. Can someone measure the distance between the two screws on one of the straps?
    We have different trailers, but based on your signature trailer and GD parts lookup, shows we have same strap part number #24003. Had my tank out today as it needs to get refilled so snapped some photos as I saw this thread last night, distance is ~5 5/8". How do you intend on clamping the ends of your custom straps together around the tank?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0847.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	33191

BOTTOM

Name:	IMAG0846.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	33192
    2020 GMC 3500 Denali SRW SB Duramax 4x4
    2021 Reflection 31MB Goosebox 16k

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found the distance between the two screws to be haphazard and variable (making the straps either too loose or too tight). When I get around to doing something about it, I'm replacing the metal straps with SS eye bolts and a couple of good EPDM straps.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you much appreciated.

Name:	20210403_152117.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	33194

Name:	20210403_152108.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	33195

I have tacked my test creation together using 1/8" x 1 1/4" flat steel bent into shape to fit around a sample tank. The segments are joined by small hinges which allow the curved pieces to rotate out of the way to remove the tank. The two back curves are welded to a flat bar which will be drilled with holes at the same distance as used for the original straps. The locking clasp is shown in the pictures, but requires a tab with a hole for a lock to be welded protuding out from the strap so the lock blocks the release of the clasp. And no I don't have a drinking problem that's just the accumulated empties from this long winter.
    Last edited by Cqyqte; 04-04-2021 at 07:07 AM.
    2019 Grand Design 303RLS
    Tottenham, ON Canada

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice setup. It should work well for you. On my trailer, there is not enough room between the back of the cabinet and the door to place even a 1/8" strap back there to make a better mounting system. Are you going to install the plastic base in the trailer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No the plastic base is just for the 20lbs tank for the backyard BBQ. Thanks for the heads up on the depth of the cabinet, I suspected there wasn't that much room, that's why I offset the hinging and closure to the 45° positions.
    2019 Grand Design 303RLS
    Tottenham, ON Canada