Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generator Questions

Hi G D'ers
    A question about portable generators I have been researching. We are looking to do some dry camping in our Imagine 2500.
    would like to run refrigerator, lights, TV, and hair dryer. A/C power not required as we seldom use it. I read some good comments about the Cummings Onan P2500i. Specs show 2200 watts running and 2500 peak watts. I this enough for our needs?
    Any input appreciated

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most hair dryers consume around 1500W, so that's almost 3/4 of the running wattage of the generator. The refrigerator, depending on the size of it will likely pull at least 4 amps, which is around 500 watts of power. TVs are fairly low power consumption....maybe 150 to 200 watts...depending on the size of it too. Your lights in the RV are 12VDC and run off the battery or batteries, but you likely have a converter built in that also charges those batteries and it will consume some 120V power too. Obviously the hair dryer isn't being used for long periods of time, and of course the refrigerator doesn't run constantly either. So, you may have to "juggle" your power consumption a bit by making sure the hair dryer isn't operating at the same time the frig is on....or making sure that the converter and the hair dryer are on at the same time, but it's probably doable. Unless size and weight is an issue, I would probably go with a larger generator than one that is only putting out 2200 running watts. And of course, the advantage to that is that if you needed to run the A/C once in a while, the generator could provide enough power to do that along with the frig running.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your input-Much appreciated

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be on the safe side and to have extra capacity if needed I would look at a 3400 watt unit. They do not cost any more than a 2Kw and are more versatile.
    Reflection 297RSTS 2018
    Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plug your camper into 15 amp receptacle. If you can power what you want off of that you should be fine. The camper might not shut off the fridge automatically if the microwave or hairdryer is on i would hope it would but Im not sure if that load can be shed but could be manually switched to gas work for sure.

I have a Honda 2200 but have not hooked it up to my camper since it has the onboard onan

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a champion 3400 for several years and it starts flawlessly. Weighs right at 100 lbs so I can lift in and out of trjck bed by myself. It's a bit noisier than my son's Honda but is twice as powerful. I would buy again and it runs across, hairdryer etc, if possi le buy from home depot. And test it out. If it does not have the power you want take it back and move up or down. I did it twice with no q uh questions asked . You might want the extra power. Good luck.
    2013 Chevy 2500 Silverado Diesel
    2020 3000QB
    Glen,Barbara and
    Dottie O'Doran the Wonder Dog

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, another related question. Is an inverter generator vs a regular generator necessary? I understand the noise issue and fuel economy but I am considering dual fuel so will have lots of propane on board to supply and only time I would use is boondocking as we always book electrical sites in parks, so I am struggling with the almost 2x cost to go from regular generator to an inverter generator. Is there something else I am not considering?

thanks for your time and advice.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inverter generator have cleaner power, a more steady, constant wave.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by puffdaddy View Post
    OK, another related question. Is an inverter generator vs a regular generator necessary? I understand the noise issue and fuel economy but I am considering dual fuel so will have lots of propane on board to supply and only time I would use is boondocking as we always book electrical sites in parks, so I am struggling with the almost 2x cost to go from regular generator to an inverter generator. Is there something else I am not considering?

thanks for your time and advice.
    Things to be aware of: Propane contains less energy than gasoline So generators using it put out quite a bit less power... And get worse econonmy as well. For me, the inverter generators have paid for themselves in fuel savings alone The benefits are a bonus.

Propane DOES have one big benefit for the casual user. No carb. gumming. his is an issue for those that do not use their gas generators very often. There are ways around it, gas treatment, and running the carb dry... But is an extra task to do.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies, truly appreciated. I am fully aware of the advantages and power quality but didnt know if it was overkill vs the cost but sounds like no one has regretted buying an inverter generator vs regular generator. Wondering if the opposite was also true or if anyone out there bought a regular genny only to turn around and buy an inverter type.
    Thanks again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast