Thread: Honda Generator

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honda Generator

Hello All!

What or how do I connect the generator to the RV, which cable(s) do I connect? I only plan ot purchase one generator, but may get a second at a later date to piggy back.

What does the generator actually do for me? I know for boon docking it can power some items in the rig. Does the inverter also charge the battery when the Gen is running? I will only have one 12v Interstate deep cell to begin.

Thanks for your experience!!

Steve

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado333 View Post
    Hello All!

What or how do I connect the generator to the RV, which cable(s) do I connect? I only plan ot purchase one generator, but may get a second at a later date to piggy back.

What does the generator actually do for me? I know for boon docking it can power some items in the rig. Does the inverter also charge the battery when the Gen is running? I will only have one 12v Interstate deep cell to begin.

Thanks for your experience!!

Steve
    Steve, to fully answer most of your questions we will need to know what type of Honda generator you plan on purchasing. Smaller ones only have a 110/15 amp connection while some of the larger ones have a 30 amp connection. If you want to run 30 amps with a smaller one you will need to have two generators in parallel and a 50 amp to 30 amp reducer. As for the "inverter" charging the battery I think you meant converter and yes, it will charge the battery when the generator is running.
    To sum it all up, one generator will charge batteries, run the refrigerator, lights and possibly hot water heater (not sure about that because I have never tried it and always use gas when boondocking.)

Tim
    Last edited by SilentService; 07-21-2020 at 11:01 PM.
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentService View Post
    Steve, to fully answer most of your questions we will need to know what type of Honda generator you plan on purchasing. Smaller ones only have a 110/15 amp connection while some of the larger ones have a 30 amp connection. If you want to run 30 amps with a smaller one you will need to have two generators in parallel and a 50 amp to 30 amp reducer. As for the "inverter" charging the battery I think you meant converter and yes, it will charge the battery when the generator is running.
    To sum it all up, one generator will charge batteries, run the refrigerator, lights and possibly hot water heater (not sure about that because I have never tried it and always use gas when boondocking.)

Tim
    This is the one I'm considering - Honda EU2200i 2200-Watt 120-Volt Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the one I'm considering - Honda EU2200i 2200-Watt 120-Volt Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator
    Assuming your trailer is 50 amp, you will need a 50 amp to 15 amp reducer to plug into an extension cord which connects to your generator. You will have to watch what you are running in the trailer so you don't exceed 15 amps. Once you get another Honda, purchase the parallel cable and use a 50 amp to 30 amp reducer.
    On a side note, you can add your GD RV model in your signature. It will make it easier for others to answer your questions especially if they have the same RV.
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the one I recently purchased. Will run A/C. About the same size as the Honda, and just as quiet. Shop around for a better price than from the factory.

https://www.generac.com/all-products...series/gp3000i
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to watch All About RVs video on small generators here: https://youtu.be/VjCjOfbJjjI. I always like their videos.

2020 Reflection 295RL - F-250 6.7L Powerstroke
    - Neil

2020 Reflection 295RL
    2019 Ford F250 XLT 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honda Generator

Silver,

The reason I have a generator is to run some of those luxury items that won’t work on the 12 volt system. So when I am in the middle of nowhere and dont have any electrical hookup, I can run things like a coffee maker, a microwave, the air conditioner (most important for me) and the tv.

So when looking at a generator, you will want to get one that has enough power to run the items you want to run at the same time.

Seems to me that the air conditioner is the most finicky of the items to run from a generator as it takes the most amps to start the compressor. So if you want the generator to run the ac, make sure you have one large enough.

I currently have the champion dual fuel 3500 because I hate running a generator on gasoline but love running on propane. For me, just easier and I dont have to worry about carb issues. But there are lots of good options out there including the one you are looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a Champion 3500 and it ran our tt no problem. We only have a 30amp connection. But it was not a generator/inverter so it was a little louder. It's meant more for construction. Now I have this Firman and love it. Easy to start and also runs the entire tt. It actually has the 30amp tt connector. Bonus is the remote start and off. So if it get to hot at night I simply press on and on comes these ac. In the morning, press the on button and on comes the coffee maker all while in the comfy of no close on. Lol
    https://www.firmanpowerequipment.com...verter-w03083/

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Had a Champion 3500 and it ran our tt no problem. We only have a 30amp connection. But it was not a generator/inverter so it was a little louder. It's meant more for construction. Now I have this Firman and love it. Easy to start and also runs the entire tt. It actually has the 30amp tt connector. Bonus is the remote start and off. So if it get to hot at night I simply press on and on comes these ac. In the morning, press the on button and on comes the coffee maker all while in the comfy of no close on. Lol
    https://www.firmanpowerequipment.com...verter-w03083/

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    I started looking recently at that Onan 4500i. Lots of interesting info around that one. More power. Quieter than my champion dual fuel, remote start, similar weight...but it’s gas. I would love to hear what others think about it.

2016 Ram 2500 Cummins
    Anderson ultimate
    2020 GD 31MB
    Champion dual fuel 3500 generator
    Steadyfast stabilizers
    Dinosaur electronics ignitor board
    Micro-air easy start
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2016 Ram 2500 Cummins

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged