User Tag List

Thread: Onboard Air

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Onboard Air

Decided to pull the trigger. Firestone bags and a Viair onboard compressor system. Got the mounts made today. The Viair stuff will be here next week.
    I found a setup on Youtube that will let me run the compressor and tank for airing tires, etc but will have no effect on the airbags. That's controlled by a separate control. I'll also have an air chuck for an air hose at the front and rear of the truck.
    I knew I would not be able to get U-bolts that were long enough, so some all thread from Lowes and my acetylene rig took care of that. The ubolts will pull the flat bar up to the bottom of the frame so compressor and tank will sit at frame level. The support pieces are 2"X1/4" aluminum bar stock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Airmounts.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	36999
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BobLandry
    Share the install and finished build. Love to see it as I have thought about doing the same.
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Viair kit came today. I started piecing everything together so I'll have a plan as I progress.
    Here is how the compressor and tank will mount to the truck frame.

For those who have not installed one of these tanks, the rubber shock bushings are a real bear. I ended up soaking them in boiling water to get them soft enough to press into the mounting holes.I also used the extra bushings on one end of the tank to raise it to make draining water easier. The input to the tank will also be lower that the output of the compressor so moisture will not make it's way back to the compressor.

Name:	airmount2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	37052

Name:	airmount3.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	37054
    Last edited by BobLandry; 10-05-2021 at 07:16 PM.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The compressor and ait tank are installed. everything has to go on the passenger side. Because of the change in the angle of the bottom of the frame, I had to make spacers to get the drain end of the tank low enough.
    Photos are looking at the rear of the truck.

Name:	airmount4.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	37082

Name:	airmount3.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	37083
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a slow day, but a little progress was made. I got the quick connects mounted on the front and rear bumpers. I didn't realize Ranch Hand bumpers were that that tough to drill through. Also mounted the ANL fuse holder next to the battery. I had to order the 8ga wire and was hoping it would come today but that's looking like Monday. Tomorrow will probably be spent under the dash.
    For grounds, I'm going to put a terminal block close to the compressor and relay, run a #8 from the battery negative to the block, then tie all of the grounds to that.
    I know a lot of people drill a hole in the frame and use a self tapping screw to secure the terminals. I think eventually rust, dirt, and corrosion will break through that and start causing problems, so it's a little more work and a little less worry.
    Last edited by BobLandry; 10-09-2021 at 06:23 PM.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH