Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Wine and Gardening

Hello All!

Nice to be here.

As the title says, gardening and wine tasting are my go-to activities. I'm also an incurable gear-head with an addiction to German sports cars. Ugh.

My wife and I are both professional chefs nearing retirement. I teach culinary arts full-time at a large NORCAL college and my wife was the sous chef at a well-known wine brand until COVID closed everyone down a year ago.

Gardening gives me a good connection to the food, a connection that I can pass to my students. It keeps me outside and moving and has the added benefit of providing us with delicious food. We grow year-round and always have something to harvest. Right now I'm harvesting lettuce, parsley, and onions. Spinach and radishes are a few weeks away, as is chervil and some micro-greens I'm trying out. I just cut down my winter cover crop and I'll till it in next week in preparation for the summer crops.

Since we're both in the industry, we're both well versed in the local wines and enjoy the tremendous variety and wonderful stories. Right now we're kinda stuck on Cabernets, particularly from the Alexander Valley (where we live) and nearby Knights Valley. Then of course there are the Pinots. MMmmmmmm. Since the tasting rooms were shut down, many of the wineries pivoted and had specials on shipping or curbside pickup and there have been some great deals over the last year. Every winery I've spoken with is reporting record sales for 2020.

We're still looking for our TT, but it will likely be purchased in the fall. I'm not happy with the current buying atmosphere and we won't buy during a frenzy like we're seeing. It's nuts.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Propchef View Post
    Hello All!

Nice to be here.

As the title says, gardening and wine tasting are my go-to activities. I'm also an incurable gear-head with an addiction to German sports cars. Ugh.

My wife and I are both professional chefs nearing retirement. I teach culinary arts full-time at a large NORCAL college and my wife was the sous chef at a well-known wine brand until COVID closed everyone down a year ago.

Gardening gives me a good connection to the food, a connection that I can pass to my students. It keeps me outside and moving and has the added benefit of providing us with delicious food. We grow year-round and always have something to harvest. Right now I'm harvesting lettuce, parsley, and onions. Spinach and radishes are a few weeks away, as is chervil and some micro-greens I'm trying out. I just cut down my winter cover crop and I'll till it in next week in preparation for the summer crops.

Since we're both in the industry, we're both well versed in the local wines and enjoy the tremendous variety and wonderful stories. Right now we're kinda stuck on Cabernets, particularly from the Alexander Valley (where we live) and nearby Knights Valley. Then of course there are the Pinots. MMmmmmmm. Since the tasting rooms were shut down, many of the wineries pivoted and had specials on shipping or curbside pickup and there have been some great deals over the last year. Every winery I've spoken with is reporting record sales for 2020.

We're still looking for our TT, but it will likely be purchased in the fall. I'm not happy with the current buying atmosphere and we won't buy during a frenzy like we're seeing. It's nuts.
    Welcome to the group future GD owner. If you don't mind buying used, some are predicting there will be lots of litely used tt after the summer has past. People are buying tt only to realize after the fact that it's not for them. When you do buy, you should post your travel itinerary. I wouldn't mind following a chef and sous chef. [emoji6] I'll bring the wine. Lol . Restaurants really took a hard hit with this covid nightmare.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think about a RV camp cooking class, we have a local restaurants that does it once every few months and gets about $60 a head, He will do a 3-4 course meal demo and you get to eat what's cooked. Might need a little mod for a camp cook but could be a blast.
    Every thing is nicer in Niceville.
    2019 Reflections 29RS
    2016 GMC Denali Hd
    B&W slider hitch
    Mor-ryde rubber pin box

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall lee View Post
    Think about a RV camp cooking class, we have a local restaurants that does it once every few months and gets about $60 a head, He will do a 3-4 course meal demo and you get to eat what's cooked. Might need a little mod for a camp cook but could be a blast.
    Already working that!

I have a bit more than 100 videos covering everything from egg bread to frying eggplant. Right now I'm working on a series of videos for my grilling class in May. After that, I'm doing a video on the care and feeding of cast iron.

I'm also producing a series of "Checkin in with..." videos that are just 2 minutes and visit local kitchens and wineries. This morning I'm on my way out to Coppola to visit with Tim the Chef and Pat the gardener. It's probably the most "touristy" of the wineries but is a lot of fun if you're a Coppola fan. They even have the Godfather desk and a real Tucker automobile!

Since we don't have our TT yet, none of my videos are RV specific but the grilling series will be relevant as well as general technique videos.

Collard Greens! Yummmmmm