User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

camping traditions?

Do you have anything you do while camping- some special tradition, routine, etc.

For me,

I always take extra firewood and kindling and when I leave I leave a pile for the next camper. I hope that they carry it forward sometime.

My GF picks up every little piece of trash around the campsite and makes the place look great for the next campers. Not sure if the camp host or park workers are supposed to clean up between campers but for the most part we find the campsites have trash everywhere

What do you do?
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
    Do you have anything you do while camping- some special tradition, routine, etc.

For me,

I always take extra firewood and kindling and when I leave I leave a pile for the next camper. I hope that they carry it forward sometime.

My GF picks up every little piece of trash around the campsite and makes the place look great for the next campers. Not sure if the camp host or park workers are supposed to clean up between campers but for the most part we find the campsites have trash everywhere

What do you do?
    We pretty much do the same. If its our last night, I'll leave my leftover firewood, and we always clean up after ourselves and others.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    we always clean up after ourselves and others.
    I've never followed after you into a campsite. The people before me always seem to empty the trash into the fire pit....

As for campsite routines, my wife and I, after set-up, we like to walk for a half hour or so. Walk around the grounds and see what everybody else has for a trailer. And usually stop and chat with a few people.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me,

What do you do?
    So you guys are allowed to bring your own firewood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreenblade View Post
    So you guys are allowed to bring your own firewood?

That usually depends on where you live and how far you're traveling. Most campsites only want semi local wood so you're not containing the local forests with exotic bugs.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I let my 3 pitbulls out to explore the campground, then turn up the tunes, so I can't here my wife yelling at me.

People keep telling me to follow my dreams...so I went back to bed

2019 303rls
    2017 GMC 2500hd ccsb 2wd 6.0 gas
    Andersen ultimate rail mount hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

camping traditions?

Quote Originally Posted by avf100 View Post
    I let my 3 pitbulls out to explore the campground, then turn up the tunes, so I can't here my wife yelling at me.

So you guys let your pit bulls out with no leash? What is up with all these rule breakers.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me,

What do you do?
    We set up and then spot check our campsite to pick up and left over trash or remove any trash in the fire pit. Then we walk around a get a view of the trailers. Any Grand Design's we'll generally stop and say hello. Then if there is a jumping pad or swimming pool is off to one or both of those with the grand girls.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if the camp host or park workers are supposed to clean up between campers but for the most part we find the campsites have trash everywhere

What do you do?
    One of our fun things to do is to camp ground host at state parks. We get to see the good and bad. As a WAG I would say that 92% of camper do what you do. Leave unused firewood behind, maybe not so much to be kind, but because there are lots of new laws about transporting firewood and the bugs they contain. So in there minds eye it's better for everyone if they leave some behind, doesn't hurt a thing, helps some. But just so you know, it's about 50/50 in park rules as to whether or not the volunteers can collect left wood for their own use. Some places yes, some places no. Depending on the location and their history firewood can get to be a significant subject, lots of state parks that sell firewood depend in it to pay for park extras, like new signs that aren't in the next 5 year budget, equipment parts when that annual budget has been exceeded. Some parks have concessioners that reap the profit. There is no set standard.

So the kindness that you do is appreciated, sometimes by the next camper, sometimes by the volunteers.

Picking up trash, thank you. We have 131 sites that we are responsible for this month. Check out time is 11 am, check in time is 2 pm. 131 sites to clean and inspect in 3 hours... can't be done. But it works out, some folks leave earlier. We typically start around 10 am, the real early birds are long gone. The dawdlers are packing up the last of it. The late stayers, well, we'll be back around check out time. We concentrate first on the quick turnover sites. Then we do general, grab a bite of lunch, and then go clean the late leavers. It's all good. We don't get excited about any of it, early, late, middle. And you know what, if we don't get a site spicky span before the next arrival the world does not stop. Depending on the previous campers sometimes you are a little grossed out, but mostly not. Events occur.

Everyone appreciates folks that pick up after themselves. So thank you and the GF. It's folks like you that makes the system work for everyone.
    Last edited by D2Reid; 04-04-2021 at 08:33 PM.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to relax.
    Take a walk and offer help to anyone who need it.
    Avoid talking politics
    Enjoy time with my spouse.
    Enjoy an adult beverage by an evening campfire
    Get up early and do one of a couple of things
    Coffee in the morning over a campfire before the world wake up. OR
    Early morning trout fishing while my wife is asleep.

Try to make the grand babies have a great time enjoying the world of camping.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast