User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    White Beard

Brakes on Solitude 320x update

First off, thanks to everybody who has responded to my brake issues.
    Here is where I'm at. I'm going to take trailer to Les Schwabs and have them check brakes. Hopefully, They will be able to give me reason for the problem. I Know there has to be a reason. I also know that my dealer is not going to spend a lot of time trying to investigate what caused this problem.
    1. Ask for voltage test from truck to trailer brakes.
    2. Check on magnets (maybe problem there)
    3. Get a second quote. I know they can turn drums. At least try.

I will keep you all updated. Have you ever read the Lippert towable rv master manual? I refer to page 55. BREAK-IN PERIOD FOR ELECTRIC DRUM BRAKES. Break-in period for drum brakes can range from 20 to 50 brake applications. They advise to apply approximately 8-10 volts to trailer brakes at an initial speed of 40 mph and allowing the truck/trailer combination to slow down to 20-25 mph. After 50 applications brake lining material will be fully cured. Break in period not only seats the shoe lining material but also seats in brake electromagnets. Also states this should be done at one mile intervals to prevent overheating brake lining.

Do you think transport drivers from factory did it this way? Take time to read this yourself. I don't want this to happen to anyone else.

Steve and Lynne
    White Beard

It is great to know that you are taking a proactive approach to getting a second opinion on the damage and cost of repair. In all my messages that may seem to be all over the board, my point has been- what caused this, and don't want it to happen to anyone else, or to you again! As far as machining the drums, IF they have hotspots as you are being told, that is a problem with the metal and it would be best to replace. The drum is a heat sink and turning it removes metal (mass) reducing its ability to dissipate heat from the brakes. If at all possible, maybe Les Schwab would let you take pictures or would take them for you! That would give us all visual evidence of where you are at! Easter blessings to you and your family, and we hope the coming week is full of information, learning, and solutions! As far as the break-in process, I can agree that not many of us followed the exact procedure that Lippert details, and as far as transport drivers, from the lot where Grand Designs are staged, it's less than 2 miles and 10 stops to get on I-90, so highly doubtful. Again, our best to you!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It took 11 months to get Paul Evert's rv to tear into my brakes to see what the reason was that my 369RL didn't have brakes, turned out 3 were full of grease due to bad seals and the magnet had the wire pinched in the last one so it wasn't getting power has been almost a year now and knock on wood they're still working