Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rv lock installed

Over the past weekend we installed RV locks to the main door, slam doors and the RV key latch in the front storage. The install was easy and the programming of the main door was not very difficult. The only thing that we found was the RV key latch was to short to work with the outdoor kitchen. We ended up with only 2 keys instead of 4, plus the grand girls (age 10) can now get into the 5th wheel using the combination or the key fob.

To me this is a very worthy investment.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to be a downer by any means Les, but I genuinely hope yours holds up better than ours.

I installed the RV lock last June and the keypad has completely crumbled and peeled off 3 of the numbers. It’s a cheap brittle plastic cover. Prior to cracking you could see the imprint on the digits being used. Horrible for security.

What angers me was the cost for the poor quality. I bought a Schlage Encode keyless lock for our home for the same price, and the quality difference is astounding. I wish Schlage made and RV lock

Safe Travels
    Bob

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertS377 View Post
    Not to be a downer by any means Les, but I genuinely hope yours holds up better than ours.

I installed the RV lock last June and the keypad has completely crumbled and peeled off 3 of the numbers. It’s a cheap brittle plastic cover. Prior to cracking you could see the imprint on the digits being used. Horrible for security.

What angers me was the cost for the poor quality. I bought a Schlage Encode keyless lock for our home for the same price, and the quality difference is astounding. I wish Schlage made and RV lock

Safe Travels
    Bob

Agreed. I like the lock, but the numbers cracked pretty quick. I got them to send me a replacement and they said not to use your finger nail to press but use the pad of your finger. LOL, ok. I will be replacing the pad and then we will use the remote.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your timing is uncanny. I received the replacement keypad in the mail today. Its just a cheap plastic peal and stick label. They told me the same thing about having clean hands, and not using fingernails. I said clean hands? I'm setting up at a campground...I'm going to have dirty hands. Again, i wouldn't care if the price was far less. In my opinion its not worth more than $50-60, and def not $200
    Bob & Donna - Maryland
    2017 303 RLS
    2023 Ford F350 CCLB 6.7 Diesel w/B & W Companion 3300 hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your timing is uncanny. I received the replacement keypad in the mail today. Its just a cheap plastic peal and stick label. They told me the same thing about having clean hands, and not using fingernails. I said clean hands? I'm setting up at a campground...I'm going to have dirty hands. Again, i wouldn't care if the price was far less. In my opinion its not worth more than $50-60, and def not $200
    I would say as far as the pad's quality, it is not very good. It should not wear out that fast. But, I will say having all the RV locks on the same key is worth the price in that respect.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love mine so far. I know that there might be trouble with these in the future, but the ease of not needing a key is huge.

I order two door locks and two slam latches from the refurbished option and they looked brand new and were all keyed alike even though they said the slam latches wouldn’t.

Extra happy with these at that price, 2 hundy a piece would be a hard pill!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Safe Travels
    Bob
    Bob, I wonder if a piece of ClearBra over the numbers would help with that issue. Getting ready to install ours soon and this thread made me do some thinking...🤔
    2019 F350 CCLB 6.7
    2020 Reflection 268BH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2019SD View Post
    Bob, I wonder if a piece of ClearBra over the numbers would help with that issue. Getting ready to install ours soon and this thread made me do some thinking...��
    I'm not familiar with Clearbra. I will look it up though. Like someone else said, we are using the FOB more now as well. Although that thing eats batteries like there's no tomorrow
    Bob & Donna - Maryland
    2017 303 RLS
    2023 Ford F350 CCLB 6.7 Diesel w/B & W Companion 3300 hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its what they put on the front of cars/trucks for paint protection..
    2019 F350 CCLB 6.7
    2020 Reflection 268BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like someone else said, we are using the FOB more now as well. Although that thing eats batteries like there's no tomorrow
    Hmmm, ours doesn't eat batteries at all. I replace the AA batteries in the unit once a year and I haven't needed to change the FOB battery yet. I use Energizer Lithium batteries though. Are you using good batteries?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast