Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot Water Tank Fill

I have a 6 gallon Hot Water Tank. When dry camping, assuming the Nautilus P-1 system knobs are set to "Power Fill" the fresh water tank does the hot water tank get filled too at that time and if so, when does that happen? After the fresh tank is full? I know it isn't first because I could hear the fresh tank being filled and the plug was out of the hot water tank when sanitizing my system and nothing came out so I switched to the "City Water" connection and the Hot Water Tank began to fill immediately. Or, do I fill the fresh tank, turn the knobs to "Dry Camping" and then turn on the pump and open a hot water spigot and the hot water tank fills then? Also, if the Nautilus P-1 knobs are set to "Dry Camping" if I use hot water only, is it automatically replenished from the fresh water tank and then heated as needed to the set temperature from the manufacturer? This is my first time with the Nautilus system and it's very different from what I've done in the past. Thanks!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Power fill goes directly to the FW tank. When on dry camping or city water, the water heater will fill automatically. For the initial fill, just leave one of your hot water faucets open to bleed the air out of the water heater. Make sure the water heater is full prior to turning on the water heater.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are power filling your fresh water tank, you will only get water to the hot water tank when using the onboard water pump.

If you hook up to city water first, then it will fill automatically, by opening the hot water spigot somewhere.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thanks FT4NOW and huntr70. I understand that part now but what about when dry camping and using only hot water. Does it refill automatically back to 6 gallons from the fresh water tank? So essentially if I used all of the fresh water, there would still be 6 gallons of water in the hot water tank?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWNY View Post
    Great thanks FT4NOW and huntr70. I understand that part now but what about when dry camping and using only hot water. Does it refill automatically back to 6 gallons from the fresh water tank? So essentially if I used all of the fresh water, there would still be 6 gallons of water in the hot water tank?
    The way it works on dry camp setting. Your pump draws from the FW tank and supplies the cold lines. There is a cold line going in the water heater, when you open a hot faucet it creates a demand on the cold line and turns on your pump, the cold water coming in to the water heater forces the already hot water out through the hot line giving you hot water at the faucet. So yes, it fills the water heater automatically.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got it. Thank you.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWNY View Post
    Got it. Thank you.
    When dry camping, the water pump power (switch) must be on to draw from the fresh water tank. The pump is what pressurizes the system. Just putting the Nautilus valves in the "dry camping" positions is not enough.

Chris

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you CoChris

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Make sure the water heater is full prior to turning on the water heater.
    Turning on the hot water heater when it's empty will destroy the heating element REALLY quickly. Learned this the hard way. Good news is that a new element is pretty cheap and the job of changing out an element is pretty simple. I now have a wrench for the water heater element in my tool box.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    Turning on the hot water heater when it's empty will destroy the heating element REALLY quickly. Learned this the hard way. Good news is that a new element is pretty cheap and the job of changing out an element is pretty simple. I now have a wrench for the water heater element in my tool box.
    I learned that lesson too on a previous RV. I carry a spare heating element just in case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast