User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I’m late chiming in here - don’t get on very often.

We took a two week trip to Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota last year. Part of it we were going to boondocks so I bought two Interstate west cell 6 volt batteries last year at Costco and wired them in series. I ordered a Zamp suitcase 180 amp solar panel as well as the plug to install on the front wall of my 5th wheel. Bought a 1500 amp inverter and some cheap 6 gauge jumper cables and used them to wire the inverter into the bedroom. Really just wanted to be sure we could run a fan and charge devices while on solar and hoped to be able to make a pot of coffee in the morning. Everything worked great except I couldn’t make coffee so had to start up my generator in my truck bed I took along just in case. Otherwise the suitcase charger worked well, kept the batteries fully charged. My Solitude is now at my RV shop hoping to get the inverter permanently installed so I have some outlets usable both by battery and shore power. This part of it is of my head.
    But as far as the suitcase solar I am pleased with it and glad I did it. I just wonder if I should have invested in better batteries like the lithium maybe?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two Battleborn batteries, and I tried the Renogy 200w suitcase, and found it to be heavy and very awkward to set up and pack down. I had been storing t in my pickup bed. Very good quality and output, but I could not see myself wrangling that thing all the time. Was breaking my back and my arms! I ended up with the Dokio 300W solar panel kit. Build quality is not as good as the renogy, but they are so much lighter, and the output is so good, I won't go back. With a 25' extension, I can position them anywhere n the sun. The customer support is also VERY good. They are on Amazon.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use two 100 watt folding suitcases. The advantage is moving them during the day to track the sun so that your maximizing amperage into your batteries. I have three battle born at 100 ah. Our 303 rls came with a solar port to plug into. For ease of use I would recommend installing one if you don't have one. I made a feeder cord out of a 25 ft, 12 gauge extention cord. One end has the two prong connector to the trailer, the other is an Anderson connector that mates with the solar panels. On a good sunny day I'm in putting 10.5 amps into the battery bank. Of course you can always use more panels. I am going to install a couple more on the roof soon. My biggest power consumption dry camping is the fan system on our fridge . The dbl door rml 1350 is a problem child to keep cool in warm weather. It runs 4 lift fans stock. I added three more outside and two in the interior. You should always carry at least a suitcase generator as back up . You may get cloudy days and falling behind on a full charge can lead to dead batteries. Usually happens in the middle of the night. Good luck!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Xlsmle,
    We have a 2020 XLS 22MLE and enjoy it very much. Thinking about getting a solar panel or two. Would you please tell me where that "10 amp input" is located on yours? Would also like to know which solar generator you have for the TV and if you're happy with it.
    Thanks!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningOnMT View Post
    Hi Xlsmle,
    We have a 2020 XLS 22MLE and enjoy it very much. Thinking about getting a solar panel or two. Would you please tell me where that "10 amp input" is located on yours? Would also like to know which solar generator you have for the TV and if you're happy with it.
    Thanks!
    There was a solar port pre installed on the front of the 5th wheel next to the storage door. The battery bank is located there as well. The two suitcase solar panels plug in there. I also installed two 180 watt panels on the roof. They are routed through the roof, down into the coach, into wall space and go through their own mppt controller before routing to the battery bank. I also installed a 2k watt magnum pure sine wave inverter-charger. When boondocking, the inverter powers the TV, DVD player and all electric outlets. No solar generator. Just solar power charging the three 100 AH battery bank to keep it at peak charge for after sunset use.
    Alan and Paula
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS, 2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L
    Magnum 2k watt inverter-charger, 300 AH Battle Born battery bank, 560 watt solar power. 6K axles and disc brakes. Pepwave max transit cellular router.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningOnMT View Post
    Hi Xlsmle,
    Thanks!
    My 10 amp input is in front of the passage way door on the right side of trailer when facing the front. We use a Rockpals 300 w solar generator from Amazon. Works great, powers tv for our nightime use and then charge fully the next day with our 100 w solar panel. We use s HQST 30amp controller mounted in passage way near the water connection and battery shut off switch. The solar panel runs to the controller and then it runs to the 10amp input to make sure batteries are not overcharged.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123