User Tag List

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hydraulic Leveling System Acting Very Strange and Weird

So...

Last week we picked up our Solitude after having both hydraulic landing gears replaced.

When we got to our storage area and unhitched I pressed the "Auto Level" button and walked away. Unfortunately, when I looked back at the camper the rear stabilizers on the Drivers side were hanging in mid air along with the Passenger side landing gear. Some how this didn't seem normal, so, I retracted the rear stabilizers (thinking the system had some type of air lock or something like that) and the front of the coach quickly dropped about 6 inches. I finished retracting the rear stabilizers and raised the front of the coach to try "Auto Level" again, same results.

I hitched it back up and took it back to the Dealer. The Dealer had a tech come out and look at the coach and while he seemed knowledgeable, he insisted that the control board for the leveling system had gone bad. I, of course, wasn't buying that since it had just been in the shop to have the landing gears replaced.

Turns out that the tech had reversed two of the hoses attached to the right landing gear.

So, if your Auto Leveling system ever acts weird, or strange, and the stabilizer legs stop deploying in mid-air, somebody messed up installing your landing gear jacks.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did they skip an operational test after the repair?
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    My guess is that they just tested the landing gear and not the Auto Level.
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Apparently skipped a thorough testing anyway.

The more I hear stories about "Techs" and not just in the RV field, the more I think it is just a term given to someone without any real training. After ten years he/she may have become a good tech, but you have the same title as the person hired yesterday with no experience. Just my thoughts. ymmv.

edit..maybe the year should be added to the title. Like a "tech" with 7 years experience would be called a "tech7"..............I'll shut up now...lol
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 10-03-2023 at 04:36 AM.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently replaced all four hoses to my front landing gear because of leaking fittings/hoses. Before starting the project, or even purchasing the replacement hoses, I traced all of the lines from the origin (valve block assembly in the front bay) to the curbside landing gear, then over to the streetside landing gear....and used a magic marker to designate which hose was which. I also took measurements for lengths and noted the type of fittings needed, then ordered my replacements.

The installation went very smooth and the testing at the end of the install was perfect....no leaks and everything worked correctly. And the funny part of this is.....I'm NOT an RV Tech. Yes, it required some attention to details, and identifying and marking the components and locations correctly, but pretty much if you have some common sense, it's not rocket science. The hardest part about the whole project was removing the silicon rubber caulking that GD used around the OEM hoses where they go through the walls between the front bay and the propane compartments where the landing gear legs are mounted under them. For a tech to get a couple of lines reversed is simply not paying attention to what they were doing, or not caring, or simply so inexperienced that they don't know any better.....and that's pretty sad in my opinion.
    Last edited by xrated; 10-03-2023 at 06:14 AM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    So...

Last week we picked up our Solitude after having both hydraulic landing gears replaced.

When we got to our storage area and unhitched I pressed the "Auto Level" button and walked away. Unfortunately, when I looked back at the camper the rear stabilizers on the Drivers side were hanging in mid air along with the Passenger side landing gear. Some how this didn't seem normal, so, I retracted the rear stabilizers (thinking the system had some type of air lock or something like that) and the front of the coach quickly dropped about 6 inches. I finished retracting the rear stabilizers and raised the front of the coach to try "Auto Level" again, same results.

I hitched it back up and took it back to the Dealer. The Dealer had a tech come out and look at the coach and while he seemed knowledgeable, he insisted that the control board for the leveling system had gone bad. I, of course, wasn't buying that since it had just been in the shop to have the landing gears replaced.

Turns out that the tech had reversed two of the hoses attached to the right landing gear.

So, if your Auto Leveling system ever acts weird, or strange, and the stabilizer legs stop deploying in mid-air, somebody messed up installing your landing gear jacks.

Did they actually admit that to you?
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post

I was wondering the same thing. As @xrated said, it isn't Rocket science. Attention to detail is key - as is caring about what you do....
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Like a "tech" with 7 years experience would be called a "tech7"..." But does that person have seven years of experience or one year of experience repeated six times?

I'm old enough to remember when a mechanic worked on the vehicle, and he may have had a mechanic's helper assisting him. Now they are both techs.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. As @xrated said, it isn't Rocket science. Attention to detail is key - as is caring about what you do....
    Yes, they actually said they reversed the two lines.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Yes, they actually said they reversed the two lines.
    Kudos for them being honest about it. I have done a lot of my own work over the years, and made my share of boneheaded mistakes... So I won't throw anyone under the bus for making a mistake, especially when they own up to it.
    An HONEST person is to be valued. They are rare nowadays.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison