Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FullTime RV'ing in place - water question

Hello All,
    My husband and I have been living full-time in an 2020 Imagine for about a month and a half, sort of off-grid (we have electric) on our land in Southern Colorado, the intention being to build a house in the next yr or two. We really love it but have had some challenges since currently there is no water source. We have a 200 gallon portable water tank and run down the mountain to fill and haul back, about every two weeks. We have a manual transfer pump to pump the water directly into the fresh water tank. This works real well but since we expect to spend an extended period of time in place are looking for a more semi-permanent solution. We will eventually drill a well but we have not picked the actual location of the home site yet and don't want to go down that (very expensive) road until we do. So here's the question...does anyone know if you can attach an on-demand pump to the city water connection to pump water from a large (1000 gal) cistern/water tank? Basically we are thinking we would not run the RV water pump and the on-demand pump would run whenever faucets or shower is run. Does this make sense?

Any input is appreciated.
    Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes perfect sense to me. You'll need a fairly hefty pump, you'll want 30-40 psi.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Yes, had my eye on a few, most start at 45 psi. We do have a regulator for water pressure we used with city water. I guess that would work just as well with an on demand pump.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For water like this you should be drawing from the bottom of the tank so gravity is your friend. You can use another RV water pump, which is an on-demand pump, and relatively inexpensive. Remember good filtration of that water, especially if it's sourced from a well.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As said above, why not another RV water pump between the tank and RV. Just set the RV valves to city water.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The water will be from an RO water provider not a well so should be ok as-is. I had not thought of just using a regular RV pump. I guess I assumed it needed more pressure since it would be pumping from ground level up to the city water connection. Good idea though! Thanks.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree on the RV pump. They’re already designed to maintain water pressure, so just put it on your supply tank with a 12v power source, and hook it to your “city water” inlet.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)