Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Creek water

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Creek water

Hello. Just bought a 2021 Imagine 2500 RL. We love the layout. We will camp close to a spring fed branch much of the year. Can we use that water in a pinch gift bathing and toilet? Realize we should probably not drink it. Any advice welcome. JBN in AL.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JNeidert View Post
    Hello. Just bought a 2021 Imagine 2500 RL. We love the layout. We will camp close to a spring fed branch much of the year. Can we use that water in a pinch gift bathing and toilet? Realize we should probably not drink it. Any advice welcome. JBN in AL.
    Are you asking if it would be okay to put it in your fresh water tank? If so, no, not a good idea.

If you are asking about taking s bucket and using that water to dump down the toilet to flush, then that would be okay, just not advisable.

Also, if you put it through your plumbing, you will have to sanitize your entire system afterward.

Now, as a TEOTWAWKI thing, put it in the fresh water tank, drop enough bleach in 8 drops per gallon to make the water drinkable, and let it sit for at least 8 hours before you use it. But, for now, it's a bad idea.

Just my two cents, adjusted for inflation.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And you'll be getting lots of sediment, organic bits n pieces, etc. in your tank that you can never clean out again. So even with sanitizing, you're leaving lots of fertilizer that will allow things to grow fast as soon as the sanitizer is used up. Ask any pool owner how fast their really clean pool can turn green without constant chlorination, just via dirt from the sky. At best, your water will constantly smell swampy. And there is the risk of e.coli, "beaver fever", and all the rest that can come with under-treated water if you do accidentally wash dishes, hands, teeth with it. Plus constantly unplugging things that may tend to get plugged easier due to the crud.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say yes if you have to BUT..... 1. how are going to get it into the freshwater tank? 2. you need to filter it somehow. 3. Always carry Clorox unscented bleach. I use untreated well water from a well that has unknown quality. I don't drink it so i dump in too much bleach then fill my tank.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddieMac View Post
    For those interested: Go to the CDC web site for information about filtering water. Lots of information. Here's one link: https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/dri...r-filters.html
    Also, one should reference the NSF testing for such systems (https://www.nsf.org/knowledge-librar...drinking-water)

Many companies can make claims, but without certification who knows if they are telling the truth?
    Not saying at all that the one above in the link is not really good. But they make no mention of either getting tested, or at least doing their own testing to meet the standards.
    NSF certification can be really expensive, so many companies don't see much advantage to it, unless selling to a commercial operation where it may be required by law. But without it, you are buying on faith that they are telling the truth, and not forgetting to mention what their product may not do.....

There is a big difference between filtering already tested/treated water (municipal systems, tested wells, etc.) and dealing with "wild" sources like streams, ponds and lakes.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)