Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slide Extends Fine - Won't Retract Without Pushing

2021 Reflection 150 Series 278 BH with Schwintek In Wall Slide System

We've had no issues with the slide (except it sometimes moving a little slow) until today.

After being extended for 2 days, it wouldn't retract. It seems to move fine for a few inches and then one side binds and basically stops. I took a video of it here but not sure it's super helpful. The right side is the one that stops. We're pretty sure this is not a electrical problem because we've had the same issue on full battery and shore power. We tried some different things the first time it happened including the manual override on the controller. According to GD support, that just turns off any safeties and just runs the motors.

We also tried unplugging electrical and two guys pushing but we couldn't move either side. We don't have a manual override crank on this model. We finally tried 2 guys pushing while also retracting with switch. It went slow but we were able to get it all the way retracted to travel to our next destination.

Upon arriving, we were able to extend it all the way out with no issues. When testing retracting it again, we got the same issue. It stops after about and it seems to be one side that is stopping.

After retracting a few inches and having it stop on it's own, we're able to extend it back out all the way with no issues.

We called Grand Design and they weren't able to do much except suggest maintenance. I may try calling Lippert to see what they say.

Any thoughts or experience on this issue? It seems to be a physical issue moving in one direction only.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There has been several Schwintec slide issues lately. This might be a good read . The download could be very useful https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ings-Schwintek
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 07-09-2021 at 08:02 PM. Reason: lost the T
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    There has been several Schwintec slide issues lately. This might be a good read . The download could be very useful https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ings-Schwintek
    Thanks - I did find that page and the flow chart to diagnose issues. I don't think I have any motor issues since it's retracting fine and only getting stuck on the way out. It seems like it could be something with debris or the rollers and carpet on the inside. I've looked around and haven't found anything. I'll have to look around more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flowchart.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	35351

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try resyncing the slide.

Go in 1 or 2 inches.
    Go out all the way and hold 5 seconds
    Go in 3 or 4 inches
    Go back out.

Keep doing it.

It's better to do this process from in to out, but if it won't go in all the way it can't hurt.

KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd try what @orbiker mentioned but from the fully retracted (in). Go out 6in and then back in fully.
    How do the tracks look? Clean, undamaged, straight and parallel with eacher other?

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    I'd try what @orbiker mentioned but from the fully retracted (in). Go out 6in and then back in fully.
    How do the tracks look? Clean, undamaged, straight and parallel with eacher other?

Tracks look straight and parallel. Some pictures below. The pictures also show the before/after when I cleaned the tracks today. They had some dirt and they have some wear on them too as you can see.

Before Cleaning: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DPg...zhAGjBBQq/view

After Cleaning: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DKl...ew?usp=sharing

Full view: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DCC...ew?usp=sharing

I washed the tracks in the morning and let them dry. I also wiped down all the rubber seals since many of them were dirty. We came back in the afternoon and after poking around on the inside looking for obstructions, we retracted it again and although it was a little slow in the beginning it came all the way in. We were a little surprised! I thought I had found a spot where the carpet was getting caught and I held it up and out of the way during that retracting. I'm not sure that was the issue though because...

We put it back out to test again and it went out fine (we've never had a problem extending it). Of course, now we're not able to retract it all the way in successfully a second time. By that time, it was 90 degrees outside and the afternoon sun was shining on the slide. Running it in and out didn't seem like a good idea so I'm going to try it again when it cools off in the evening. I'm wondering if the heat has any effect. It can 't be good for the motors and it seems like all the rubber seals are extra sticky when they are really warm. Anyone find this to be true that the slide is less reliable or works a bit harder in heat?

I was lucky to find a remote tech that can come look at it on Tuesday morning so we're gonna stick in this spot for a few more days to wait for him to look at it. I'll continue to investigate it in the mean time.

I haven't been able to do the syncing that was recommended above. When we bring it in a few inches and then extend it out all the way, it doesn't go any farther the next time we bring it in. We've tried going in/out 3 times in a row and it didn't progress at all. I've looked on the inside and outside and although there is a lot going on with the wires and rubber seals, it doesn't appear that anything is blocked.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2 last pics seems to be restricted and we can't open them but on the first one it's seems like there are some where marks. It also sounds like the motors are under powered or something is creating resistance. What do the rollers look like?
    Please keep us posted on the mobile techs findings.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    The 2 last pics seems to be restricted and we can't open them but on the first one it's seems like there are some where marks. It also sounds like the motors are under powered or something is creating resistance. What do the rollers look like?
    Please keep us posted on the mobile techs findings.

I made the photos public. I was wondering about motors and power but it does the same thing under shore power, half battery, full battery etc. Also the motor extends the slide with no issue which makes me think the motor is fine.

I noticed the plastic corner piece on the inside on the fridge side (side that seems to work fine) is bent up awkwardly about 1/2 inch. It is rubbing the slide floor right in the beginning of retracting. This is probably causing resistance but it's on the opposite side of the initial problem ��

I'm thinking about lubricating all the seals today. They are definitely adding some resistance. I've determined that lubing tracks is not necessary even though many people do it. Lippert also does not recommend it.

Rollers don't appear damaged in any way and I'm able to visualize them rolling. They are a bit dirty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really appreciate the advise with the slides.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick update. I still have not got the slide to retract again since yesterday when it went in once randomly for no apparent reason.

Today I conditioned all the seals with some lubricant to decrease the resistance on those. I tried the slide a bunch of times and still getting stuck on one side. On the top track of the apparent problem side, the track is really close to the rigid portion of the seal. I cut 1/8 inch of rubber there to give it some room. No luck with that either.

No error codes on the controller.

I also tried the manual override again on the controller and the result is the same. This makes me think there's a physical block or resistance. I've looked as best I can around the perimeter of the slide inside and outside even when it's moving and can't find any obvious blockages. I'm stumped for now so probably going to wait until Tuesday to let a tech look at it.

Let me know if you have any insight. I'll update on my progress. I've found lots of fixes online but no one with a situation quite like mine.
    Last edited by RyanJBow; 07-11-2021 at 02:24 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast