User Tag List

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Momentum 351M Fuel Level Reading

Just curious about this. The panel shows I have about 50% fuel level. Is this 50% of one tank, i.e. 15 gallons, or 50% of both tanks, i.e. 30 gallons?
    I won't use the fuel tanks for anything other than fueling the generator, and don't wish to carry more fuel than I will need. And I sure don't need
    60 gallons.

Considering how close the Momentum 351 runs to its weight limits, I have played around with the idea of removing one of the fuel tanks. Those
    things look like they weigh at least 500 lbs. They sure won't be coming loose, as solidly as they're mounted.

TIA
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Just curious about this. The panel shows I have about 50% fuel level. Is this 50% of one tank, i.e. 15 gallons, or 50% of both tanks, i.e. 30 gallons?
    I won't use the fuel tanks for anything other than fueling the generator, and don't wish to carry more fuel than I will need. And I sure don't need
    60 gallons.

Considering how close the Momentum 351 runs to its weight limits, I have played around with the idea of removing one of the fuel tanks. Those
    things look like they weigh at least 500 lbs. They sure won't be coming loose, as solidly as they're mounted.

TIA
    The panel only reads the tank designated for your generator. The other tank level is read at the pump.

ETA:

Those tanks will not reduce much weight as they weigh much less than you would think. No where near 500 lbs. Probably less than 100.

Newly full timing in our 2021 Momentum 395MS-R with our tow pig being a 2021 F-450 KR

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the information.

I do disagree with your estimation of weight though. I was under there looking at the frame and such, and those are very heavy duty tanks
    and tank mountings. Most tanks I've seen are pretty lightweight sheet metal, these are not. Very little give when pushed, unlike a light
    sheet metal tank. And very large for only 30 gallons.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if things have changed, but on our 2017 Momentum, those gages were very inaccurate. Ours had a single gage at the fuel station with a switch for which tank you wanted to read, but if my gage was reading half, it would only take 7 gallons to get back to full. I also had dual 30 gallon tanks, and I would fill them until it was full based off the gas pump clicking off.

If your concerned with weight and amount of fuel, I'd run the tank empty and then add 15 gallons of fuel based off the gas pump flow meter and make sure your gage reads half.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. Good suggestion. We're running right at GVWR so if I can save a little weight somewhere it's all good.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run with 1400lbs in garage, no fuel in toy hauler tank, 1/2 tank for generator, 1/2 full fridge, about 10gals fresh water, empty grey, empty black tank, weeks worth of clothes for DW and I and a couple cases of bottled water. I'm maxed out on GVWR. We have extra towels, ice maker, griddles and other stuff under the bed. Probably got more weight under there than I think.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I weighed our Momentum 351M right after we came back from our maiden voyage of a couple nights to check things out. We have a few more things
    to get loaded, nothing really major except the Interceptor. With the Spyder in the back, but not the Interceptor, which weighs in around 500 lbs, we
    were sitting at 13,360 lbs. on the trailer wheels. Two 7,000 lb. axles works out to 14,000 lbs.

And the trailer weight of 13,360 lbs. plus the hitch weight of 2,800 lbs. puts us at about 200 lbs. under GVWR. So there's no doubt that the Interceptor
    is going to put us over the GVWR. But it is what it is, and we'll see how it goes. I doubt that the whole thing will fall apart when we slam a door.

Would I be happier if it was lighter? Sure. Am I worried about what will happen down the road? No, not really. I'll keep a close eye on hangers, springs,
    tires, and other indicators of problems, and go RV'ing.
    Howard and Peggy

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I weighed our Momentum 351M right after we came back from our maiden voyage of a couple nights to check things out. We have a few more things
    to get loaded, nothing really major except the Interceptor. With the Spyder in the back, but not the Interceptor, which weighs in around 500 lbs, we
    were sitting at 13,360 lbs. on the trailer wheels. Two 7,000 lb. axles works out to 14,000 lbs.

And the trailer weight of 13,360 lbs. plus the hitch weight of 2,800 lbs. puts us at about 200 lbs. under GVWR. So there's no doubt that the Interceptor
    is going to put us over the GVWR. But it is what it is, and we'll see how it goes. I doubt that the whole thing will fall apart when we slam a door.

Would I be happier if it was lighter? Sure. Am I worried about what will happen down the road? No, not really. I'll keep a close eye on hangers, springs,
    tires, and other indicators of problems, and go RV'ing.
    This is interesting...we just ordered our 2022 351MS, and opted for the 8k axles. Were told it only allows another 1200# of cargo capacity. Not sure what to believe tho, just did the upgrade because the 7k axles had only 2100# for cargo capacity. That seemed a bit light.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AFAIC it's almost criminal to equip these trailers with 7,000 lb. axles.
    Howard and Peggy