User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

General RV Center Opens Inspection Facility in Bristol, Ind.

This is interesting... I wonder how much it will affect the end cost of a new unit? Don't get me wrong, I think this is a GREAT idea!

https://rvbusiness.com/general-rv-center-opens-inspection-facility-in-bristol-ind/
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    This is interesting... I wonder how much it will affect the end cost of a new unit? Don't get me wrong, I think this is a GREAT idea!

https://rvbusiness.com/general-rv-center-opens-inspection-facility-in-bristol-ind/
    Just read this article in an email sent to me! Wow, maybe with all the influx of money into the RV industry we will finally see some change! I am sure you will have to pay a little more for an RV from General RV, but if it saves taking it back for warranty work, it would be well worth it to me!

I also, just read an article I thought was intriguing. They have come out with an APP that lets you calculate the weights of your trailer, TV, and tongue weight without going to a scale! Has a little box you plug into your TV and go though some motions and maneuvers and it calculates everything for a proper set up using your smartphone! The guy writing the article said he had tried it over a couple of months and it was surprisingly accurate! It is called the Betterweigh system!
    Last edited by PTParker; 04-09-2021 at 11:24 AM.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, they have planning that for a couple years now.

Because they have so many dealerships all over the place, it makes it easier on the dealership to deliver the unit.

Not really anything groundbreaking, but takes the PDI out of the actual physical selling location.

(as long as nothing goes wrong on the 600 mile or whatever tow to the dealership)
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PTParker View Post
    Just read this article in an email sent to me! Wow, maybe with all the influx of money into the RV industry we will finally see some change! I am sure you will have to pay a little more for an RV from General RV, but if it saves taking it back for warranty work, it would be well worth it to me!

I also, just read an article I thought was intriguing. They have come out with an APP that lets you calculate the weights of your trailer, TV, and tongue weight without going to a scale! Has a little box you plug into your TV and go though some motions and maneuvers and it calculates everything for a proper set up using your smartphone! The guy writing the article said he had tried it over a couple of months and it was surprisingly accurate! It is called the Betterweigh system!
    I read about the Betterweigh system also. It is intriguing but they claim it has a an accuracy of +/- 5%. That's 350 pounds on a 7,000 pound TT. It's not going to help anyone on the margins.
    Long Island, New York

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So theoretically when you get your trailer on a shake down trip nothing will go wrong. Between the manufacturer quality predelivery inspections and Gen RV doing their own inspection before the trailer gets to the dealer lot, the unit should be flawless. Hopeful, but not going to happen.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s also a great money and efficiency move for General. By doing the inspections where the units a manufactured you are able to either send the unit back to the manufacturer for repairs and it’s likely at some point the manufacturer will put techs on site for issues that come up. This saves the dealerships on tech hours, arguments with the manufactures reps and lessens the number of customer problems. Nipping it at the bud is a great business move.
    Retired business owner
    2021 Solitude S-class 2930rl
    W/D, upgrade rubber pin box, Cotton interior, toppers
    2020 Ram Diesel 3500 Dually 8’ Max Tow pkg.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if this will tempt the manufacturers to "back off" on the PDI's they do in house now? I have seen the inside of a 5th wheel right after delivery to the dealer (it was a Keystone Cougar). There was stuff hanging EVERYWHERE. Virtually all of the trim, some of the recessed lighting and other stuff. That was two years ago. I thought that was terrible then - what happens if they let down more, knowing someone down the line will fix things for them? I mean they do now, but it's more the visible/obvious stuff. What about the less obvious, hidden types of things? Just a thought, and I hope it never happens. This thing by General can go either way, I just hope it goes toward improvement.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting concept that I think makes great business sense. One of the benefits is it will free up the PDI time at their service centers so those technicians can do more repairs. RV owners might actually be able to get repairs made in a timely manner. We'll see how it works out but it makes sense in my mind to catch the problems sooner than later. If an RV unit is really bad they can kick back to the manufacturer without added transportation costs. They may be more likely to send back a lemon instead of trying to 'fix' too many things.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess that’s why the wanted to charge me $2K for a PDI.
    2022 Reflection 340 RDS (On Order) - Damaged and Cancelled, replaced with 2021 Northpoint 377 RLBH
    2021 Ram 3500 Cummins HO 6’4” bed / Pullrite Superglide 2315
    2017 Bass Cat Puma FTD / 250 Mercury Optimax ProXS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    I guess that’s why the wanted to charge me $2K for a PDI.
    Ouch! Really?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast