User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BOOM - Order Placed!!! Now What Hitch?

Well we just placed an order for a Reflection 340 RDS to upgrade from out Keystone Cougar 27 SAB.

The extra room will be great!!

Super excited, but this is our first 5th Wheel.

My Truck is a 2021 RAM 350 Cummins SRW.

Now what hitch should I pair with this?

B&W Companion?
    Pull Rite Super Slider?
    Reese Goose Box?

Please give me your input. Also, is a slider really needed? Never in my life have I have to turn a trailer or camper at 90 degrees.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Bill2e; 04-09-2021 at 02:45 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only you know if a slider is really needed, but I have a friend with one that has never used the slider option. Having said that...I have been using the Curt Q25 for 4 years now and it is a superb hitch. Prior to that I had used a B&W Companion for 10 years...also a great hitch.

The Curt is much cheaper, and I like more than the B&W.

Just my two cents worth.
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! We have the 340 as well and are really happy with it.

I am a fan of the Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel hitch. I’ve been using it for a few years and I like it. I have a short bed, so it does limit my ability to something short of a 90 degree turn, but I don’t mind that.

I had the B&W slider prior to the Andersen and it was a stout, well-built hitch, but very heavy and unpleasant to remove and reinstall when I needed my truck bed.

If I were doing it all over, I would seriously consider the goosebox, but since I already have the Andersen and it works well, I’ll probably stick with it until something necessitates a change. The big advantage to the goosebox in my mind is the elimination of the hitch in the bed and all that comes with it. If you have a short bed, you will very likely experience some turning radius limitations, but the trade off in not having to deal with a hitch in the bed would be worth it for me. I’m sure others may disagree.

I think you’ll find individual hitch preferences are like anything else, that is, everyone has an opinion and it very often just comes down to what your needs and wants are.

Good luck to you. You’re going to love the 340!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We do not own a 5'er but like to daydream about them. We hope that dream becomes a reality someday so I like to read up on things like this from time to time. Curious how many people out there recommend the gooseneck conversion? I've read the adapter is NOT the way to go but something like the GEN-Y gooseneck replacement that bolts up in place of the king pin. I believe Reese has one also that has airbags.
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Gasser
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tgunter5 View Post
    We do not own a 5'er but like to daydream about them. We hope that dream becomes a reality someday so I like to read up on things like this from time to time. Curious how many people out there recommend the gooseneck conversion? I've read the adapter is NOT the way to go but something like the GEN-Y gooseneck replacement that bolts up in place of the king pin. I believe Reese has one also that has airbags.
    As I understand it, gooseneck adapters - in the traditional sense of the phras - can void your factory frame warranty. I believe Lippert allows for the use of the Reese Goosebox without affecting the warranty...not sure about the Gen-Y.

Additionally, the Goosebox and Gen-Y will give you a much better towing experience. The straight gooseneck adapters have no flex or cushion, making for a much more rigid and jerky towing experience.

I don’t have personal experience with any of them, just regurgitating what I’ve read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    Well we just placed an order for a Reflection 340 RDS to upgrade from out Keystone Cougar 27 SAB.

The extra room will be great!!

Super excited, but this is our first 5th Wheel.

My Truck is a 2021 RAM 350 Cummins SRW.

Now what hitch should I pair with this?

B&W Companion?
    Pull Rite Super Slider?
    Reese Goose Box?

Please give me your input. Also, is a slider really needed? Never in my life have I have to turn a trailer or camper at 90 degrees.

Thanks!
    Goosebox! Between the airbag in the Goosebox and bags on the truck my 311bhs pulls and rides amazing. lm

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for Goosebox. Had a Curt Q24 with my 399, have a Goosebox on my 311. Have only done a test drive so far with the 311, but immediately can tell it's much better than a traditional 5th wheel hitch.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Another vote for Goosebox. Had a Curt Q24 with my 399, have a Goosebox on my 311. Have only done a test drive so far with the 311, but immediately can tell it's much better than a traditional 5th wheel hitch.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Do you see any issue with the 6.5 short bed and clearance?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goosebox for sure!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    Do you see any issue with the 6.5 short bed and clearance?
    No issues thus far ~4K miles traveled. 2019 Ford F-350 SRW with the 6.5’ bed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast