User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reduce Inside AC Noise

Like many, it seems when the AC kicks on you have to shout, and if the TV is on, you have to increase the volume. I've read about a product, the RV AC silencer roughly $185, that states it will dramatically reduce AC noise level. Would appreciate any feedback on this product, or any methods you have used to reduce AC noise inside the camper.
    Thanks!
    2017 Reflection 5th Wheel 337RLS
    2017 Ford 250 Heavy Duty Diesel
    B&W Companion Slider Hitch

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rayhagedorn View Post
    Like many, it seems when the AC kicks on you have to shout, and if the TV is on, you have to increase the volume. I've read about a product, the RV AC silencer roughly $185, that states it will dramatically reduce AC noise level. Would appreciate any feedback on this product, or any methods you have used to reduce AC noise inside the camper.
    Thanks!
    Well, our "method" was to install a second AC in the bedroom. That way, we can turn on just the one in the bedroom when we're in the living room and watching TV. Or, vice versa, the one in the living room when we're trying to sleep in the bedroom.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This will be my project next week. Two videos, depending on what brand AC you have. Looks to be about $30, and a couple of hours, at most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vhv_b-1zAk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cct1QfLiT6s&t=1s
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    This will be my project next week. Two videos, depending on what brand AC you have. Looks to be about $30, and a couple of hours, at most.

@rayhagedorn I've done this mod. Two air conditioners, about $25, under three hours. Very noticeably reduced noise and increased airflow from the ceiling vents. I did the mod in the fall so the ACs have not been used since I did it and tested for a few minutes, but so far I'm betting it will be well worth the effort and low cost.

If you need a further nudge, I saw a post recently saying that GD has begun installing something like this at the factory. I haven't verified that.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following.
    2018 303RLS dual AC , table with chairs and 3 awning covers.. pulled by a 2021 GMC 3500 AT4, Andersen hitch with Factory turnover ball

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just got done doing the second youtube method I posted above - have a Dometic AC pretty much like the one in the video.
    It takes longer than one would think. Not hard, just putzy - checking foil tape length needed, fighting to getting the paper backing off, etc.

The original tape job on my Imagine was actually pretty decent. But I took it off and redid it anyway. The sticky foam barrier used was not really sealing things at all. Replacing as shown in the video was a big improvement.

The hardest part was getting the long mounting bolts back in - with one side closed off, it can be a problem seeing/feeling how to get them back into the holes they go in to. Tip: do the two on the outlet (sealed) side first and just barely started, until you get the other two in.
    Mine had no plastic tabs that needed to be broken off like shown in the video, so all good there.

It was 36 and snowing outside, so not good weather for testing the AC before and after. I was going to do sound readings, but decided it wasn't really valid. Did get the fan running a bit just to see.

Overall, I think it is a bit quieter. Not a dramatic difference, but perhaps enough to make the project worth doing. Total materials cost was about $19.

Best part using the foil bubble wrap - if I later decide that I miss having the main air dump, it will be super easy to trim the Reflectix away from the dump opening, making it useable again.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dometic Brisk-Airs are loud-period. The Wacko product does work and help, and the owner is a good and helpful guy. However, realize it is half the price of an air conditioner! If our prior camper didn't have a circumstance where the Brisk-Air was being replaced under warranty every other season, I'd have installed a Coleman Quiet Series Mach, but the Wacko silencer worked insofar as bringing it down 6-8 dB.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post

2 great videos and thanks for sharing
    2017 Reflection 5th Wheel 337RLS
    2017 Ford 250 Heavy Duty Diesel
    B&W Companion Slider Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rayhagedorn View Post
    Thanks!
    Ray - I just did these on both my Coleman AC units - Pretty easy install - use this link for 15% off. Noticeable difference in noise level & airflow out if the vents!

http://portal.referralcandy.com/DHBH...nk_email_click

If this does not work, PM me with your email.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did something similar - blocking off the "dump" section and installing some foam to direct the air into the roof ducting more directly. I also reoriented my ceiling cover 90 degrees so more air flowed directly up and into the intake plenum.

I do think I increased the air flow. So much so that I keep one of my rear-most duct closed off. I think reorienting the cover had a lot to so with airflow as the intake vents are now larger.

I can't say that it quieted the noise a lot. I took some db measurements and before and after and it did not make too much of a difference; maybe just a few db but not enough to be noticeable with my hearing.

I have Coleman Mach 8 ACs.

I think a lot of the noise is simply from the unit itself being on the roof and the "rumbling" when it runs. I had a Class A with full ducting (in and out) and honestly they were still loud enough when running it disturbed the TV hearing.

Now, when I think the ACs are going to have to run a lot, I just run them on AC LO rather than AC LO or HIGH AUTO. At least the noise level is constant and soon become just another white noise background noise.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast