User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    To the OP, this has been my experience as well. You're at the top of your range, but within the capabilities and capacity of the truck. Not necessarily a bad thing, just good to know. We've towed four similar weight fifth wheels with SRW diesel F-350's or SRW Duramax 3500. You will want to be very careful with loading and will be at, near or over pin weight depending upon how you load. Fortunately, PIN weight does not reflect tire capacity or axle capacity of your tow vehicle, so you will want to dig a little deeper than the yellow sticker on the door. In a perfect world I try to stay within the yellow sticker cargo capacity weight. In the real world, I consider the carrying capacity of the tires and axles of the tow vehicle. You will find that the Yellow sticker is more relevant to registration and taxation than real truck limits. I am actually adding a carrier rack to the receiver hitch to load a couple of hundred lbs of tools etc. This is going to add a counterweight and take some weight off of the pin and also keep my front storage from weighing as heavily. It's a delicate balance, but we've got over 40,000 miles towing these weights with SRW diesels.

I would strongly recommend Timbrin or Sumo springs for the truck. They are inexpensive and make a huge difference. No squat and very stable towing. I am adding them to the trailer as well. You will be good to go...like you, I don't want a dually.

To Chris...I'm new to the Solitude 310-GK. Is the freshwater tank behind the axles? I'm still trying to figure this rig out!
    Great info - thank you! All this is complicated by the fact that there are NO comparable models of the truck we’ve had to order anywhere in our area. Dealers have almost no trucks in stock - heavy demand and COVID delays in parts etc. So I can’t check the yellow sticker and my salesman knows less than I do! It’s why I’m so grateful to have this GD community now. Best advice and useful info.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out this thread, it has a link to Ford’s website so you can get the payload info. Helps when you are not able to physically look at the yellow sticker.

Ford Load and Capacity Guide by Vin Number

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Reflection 311BHS / 16K Airborne Sidewinder
    TV: 2012 Ford F-350 King Ranch / Airlifter Ultimate 5000 air bags / 16K Curt Hitch

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow similar unit S Class 2930 RL with a Ram SRW 3500 CTD 4x4 long bed, the 310 is a little heavier but my Ram would be fine. The important # for your new SRW truck is GVWR, my Ram is 12300 which provides me with payload of 4394 and gives me available extra payload of 1000 lbs. Loaded to camp my pin comes in around 2950. It is always about how much you can carry not how much you can tow, if you can carry it you can tow it. Best of luck with the new truck.
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippamills View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I’m losing what’s left of my mind over the tow vehicle for our just bought 2021 310GK. I see some owners here are towing with the F350 SRW which is what we’re looking at. Can you share how it tows for you? I really don’t want to go up to a dually.
    Thanks!
    I am towing a 2018 310 GK with a 2021 F350 SRW SB Diesel and we are right at/slightly under the load capacity of 3480. I'm fine with it, but am looking into upgrading to disc brakes.
    Like you, I in no way wanted a dually, or a long bed for that matter. I do realize a long bed allows for more capacity as well as a much lighter hitch increasing the limits even further, but I feel I have enough truck.

We do not have a generator/xtra battery bank, nor do we dry camp, so tanks are basically empty. I did tell my wife no W&D as that would put us over.
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    2021 F350 6.7 Diesel Platinum SRW 4X4
    Curt Q20 Slider

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdjaguar View Post
    I am towing a 2018 310 GK with a 2021 F350 SRW SB Diesel and we are right at/slightly under the load capacity of 3480. I'm fine with it, but am looking into upgrading to disc brakes.
    Like you, I in no way wanted a dually, or a long bed for that matter. I do realize a long bed allows for more capacity as well as a much lighter hitch increasing the limits even further, but I feel I have enough truck.

We do not have a generator/xtra battery bank, nor do we dry camp, so tanks are basically empty. I did tell my wife no W&D as that would put us over.
    Thanks for the info! We decided to go with the long bed F350 Diesel - 12400 GVWR and 4011lbs supposedly “real world”payload. Will just have to wait and see what the actual door sticker says when the truck arrives in 4 months. Hopefully it’s right around there. I feel more comfortable with a little wiggle room on these numbers.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info! We decided to go with the long bed F350 Diesel - 12400 GVWR and 4011lbs supposedly “real world”payload. Will just have to wait and see what the actual door sticker says when the truck arrives in 4 months. Hopefully it’s right around there. I feel more comfortable with a little wiggle room on these numbers.
    I think you will be very happy with that combination. Ours has served us very well.

One suggestion. Once you get the truck and trailer loaded for your typical camping, take to a CAT scale (truck stop) and get some real world number for your specific set up. Make any needed adjustments from there. I have done ours many times and have a pretty good feel for where we are and how much effect different changes make. I try to reweigh at lease once a year just to keep weight creep in check.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IF you are going to be traveling in "hilly " areas I would recommend getting used to a dually. I have had all kinds of trucks (Ford SRW DRW, Chevy SRW DRW) and there is a lot of piece of mind when towing with a dually. I found getting used to the long bed length and corners around town the biggest challenge-the width just comes along with the mirrors! You can get comfortable with the dually and be glad you got it. That being said, if you only tow once or twice a year then maybe the single rear wheel is the way to go. JMO Mark. PS-my current choice is F350 dually. (F450 is a little harsher ride albeit a towing beast)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    I think you will be very happy with that combination. Ours has served us very well.

One suggestion. Once you get the truck and trailer loaded for your typical camping, take to a CAT scale (truck stop) and get some real world number for your specific set up. Make any needed adjustments from there. I have done ours many times and have a pretty good feel for where we are and how much effect different changes make. I try to reweigh at lease once a year just to keep weight creep in check.

Chris
    Great idea Chris. Wish the once a year weighing also worked for human “weight creep”!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea Chris. Wish the once a year weighing also worked for human “weight creep”!
    Unfortunately (well, maybe fortunately) I do not need a CAT scale to see my personal "weight creep"

As I say "I am watching my weight ..... and it is getting easier to see every day".

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone,
    I’m losing what’s left of my mind over the tow vehicle for our just bought 2021 310GK. I see some owners here are towing with the F350 SRW which is what we’re looking at. Can you share how it tows for you? I really don’t want to go up to a dually.
    Thanks!
    We are new owners of a 2021 310GK and have a 2019 SRW F350. I went through the same thing you did. I ran through the calculations dozens of times before I signed on the dotted line for the Solitude (we already had the truck). We don't plan to have a washer/dryer or generator specifically to keep the pin weight down. After I convinced myself that everything would be fine, I was still uneasy. Since taking possession of the Solitude, the CAT scale has become my best friend. I have weighed several combinations of truck and truck/trailer with good results, even with our short bed and Pullrite autoslider.

That being said, we tend to pack light and I am aware of every pound we load, and will continue to weigh with different amounts of stuff in the coach and truck. We have 200 - 400 pounds of margin depending on the length of the trip. Would I feel better with the dually? Sure. Do I feel comfortable with our setup as is? Yes, but I wouldn't push the weights any more.

Just my two-cents. Enjoy your new coach, I love ours!

Brian
    Brian and Lisa - Longmont, CO
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2022 F350 Lariat DRW Powerstroke
    Firestone airbags - WirelessOne Airlift
    B&W Companion 20K
    Tireminder TPMS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast