Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice for newbie (to towing) owner of 310GK

Hi everyone,
    I’m losing what’s left of my mind over the tow vehicle for our just bought 2021 310GK. I see some owners here are towing with the F350 SRW which is what we’re looking at. Can you share how it tows for you? I really don’t want to go up to a dually.
    Thanks!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm towing a 2021 310GK with a 2020 Ford F350 SRW short bed. I need air bags. The truck squats too much. Yes, I'm over 15,000 lbs. I even have an Andersen hitch that only weighs 35 lbs in the bed of the truck. It drives fine. I don't have a problem accelerating up a hill. I don't have a problem stopping the trailer. I've got disc brakes on the trailer and and an exhaust brake and downshift ability on the truck. I still wouldn't want to drive a dually either towing or around town.
    (Ordered 7/13/20) 2021 Solitude 310GK, FBP, DP, HP, Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes
    Built 9/9/20; To Paint 9/11/20 (5-6 weeks); Done Paint 10/1/20; MORryde axle upgrade 10/5/20; Done at MORryde and paid for 10/8/20; Arrived at Dealer 10/20/20; picked up 11/7/20

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the duallys are more intimidating than what they should be. We don't have a dually yet but I have been looking at them. We have a LB now and will not go back to a short bed. With a dually if the mirrors can clear so will the flares on the rear wheels as they are narrower than the mirrors.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We towed our 2019 Solitude 373FB-R (15,500lbs) with a 2019 F-350 DRW long bed. It felt very stable while towing but I think part of that was just knowing I had a dually. I'm towing our 2020 Solitude 310GK-R (15,000lbs) with a 2020 F-350 SRW. The 2020 truck has noticeably more power and tows fine but it doesn't "feel" as stable as the DRW. I think part of that is in my head but there is no doubt that having an extra set of tires in the rear will result in more stability while towing - especially in the wind.

The 310GK is the only Solitude I'd personally tow with an SRW truck. Anything heavier and I'd get an F-450.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippamills View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I’m losing what’s left of my mind over the tow vehicle for our just bought 2021 310GK. I see some owners here are towing with the F350 SRW which is what we’re looking at. Can you share how it tows for you? I really don’t want to go up to a dually.
    Thanks!
    Our F350 SRW tows our 310GK just fine. But it the most (heaviest) trailer I would want to tow with a SRW. I am at, but under the weight limits. I think you have to be careful in how you load the trailer. It is easy to get to much pin weight for a SRW (generators, extra batteries, washer/dryer, waste in the black and grey tanks, "stuff" in the front compartment and basement) all add up fast. We (wife and I) travel 4~6 weeks at a time and have no problem with weight, but we do not pack especially heavy. With the 310GK you can also get to little pin weight ( full fresh water tank and little else) and cause some unsettled (bouncing & buffeting) behavior.

We are in Colorado and I have pulled in some very high winds. The 310/SRW handles it fine (tip - SLOW DOWN in bad weather or pull over. Stop if you have to), but a dually would have been much more stable.

Weight wise, the 2020 (and later) F350 SRW with the long bed, crew cab and diesel got a significant bump in payload (11,500 to 12,400#). Since 2017 those specific trucks (gas too) have come with a 48 gallon fuel tank (very nice). A 310GK is the most (heaviest) trailer I would want to pull with a SRW. As Brian said above "The 310GK is the only Solitude I'd personally tow with an SRW truck. Anything heavier and I'd get an F-450." or a F350 DRW.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a dually and love it. If you have to buy a truck for the 310GK, then I'd recommend a long bed dually as it will allow you to upgrade the 5th wheel in the future without having to upgrade the truck. I'd seriously look at the F-450 with the better turning radius versus the F-350.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pengle View Post
    I'm towing a 2021 310GK with a 2020 Ford F350 SRW short bed. I need air bags. The truck squats too much. Yes, I'm over 15,000 lbs. I even have an Andersen hitch that only weighs 35 lbs in the bed of the truck. It drives fine. I don't have a problem accelerating up a hill. I don't have a problem stopping the trailer. I've got disc brakes on the trailer and and an exhaust brake and downshift ability on the truck. I still wouldn't want to drive a dually either towing or around town.
    Really helpful info - thanks! As I’m new to towing anything I’m wondering if the longer bed in the F350 might be the way to go. According to the Ford site it will give an extra 480lbs of payload which of course will actually be lower than than that in real life - but even a couple of hundred extra would give me numbers that maybe I wouldn’t have to worry about. What do you think? I’ve given up on my Ford salesman - the so-called expert truck guy. He didn’t even know that the 2022 model (which I’m getting) gets the 12 inch screen. And I had to help him understand pin weight calculations. And he still can’t tell me what the GAWR is!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    Our F350 SRW tows our 310GK just fine. But it the most (heaviest) trailer I would want to tow with a SRW. I am at, but under the weight limits. I think you have to be careful in how you load the trailer. It is easy to get to much pin weight for a SRW (generators, extra batteries, washer/dryer, waste in the black and grey tanks, "stuff" in the front compartment and basement) all add up fast. We (wife and I) travel 4~6 weeks at a time and have no problem with weight, but we do not pack especially heavy. With the 310GK you can also get to little pin weight ( full fresh water tank and little else) and cause some unsettled (bouncing & buffeting) behavior.

We are in Colorado and I have pulled in some very high winds. The 310/SRW handles it fine (tip - SLOW DOWN in bad weather or pull over. Stop if you have to), but a dually would have been much more stable.

Weight wise, the 2020 (and later) F350 SRW with the long bed, crew cab and diesel got a significant bump in payload (11,500 to 12,400#). Since 2017 those specific trucks (gas too) have come with a 48 gallon fuel tank (very nice). A 310GK is the most (heaviest) trailer I would want to pull with a SRW. As Brian said above "The 310GK is the only Solitude I'd personally tow with an SRW truck. Anything heavier and I'd get an F-450." or a F350 DRW.

Chris
    Thanks so much! I’ve just looked at the long bed and that might be the way to go. Even a couple hundred extra pounds of payload capacity would make me feel more confident. And thanks for the towing tips too!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippamills View Post
    Thanks so much! I’ve just looked at the long bed and that might be the way to go. Even a couple hundred extra pounds of payload capacity would make me feel more confident. And thanks for the towing tips too!
    After having my first long bed truck, I would never buy a truck again that isnt a long bed. Never need to worry about camper hitting the truck, no slider hitch needed, extra room in bed for stuff. When the camper isnt there, it's nice to be able to put a sheet of plywood in the bed and put the tailgate up. For us, we have a variety of dirt bike sizes and I've gotten all 4 in the bed of my truck with a toolbox, that would never happen on a short or standard bed truck.

I used my dually as a daily driver for about 4 years, it wasnt a big deal. Park in the back of parking lots (free exercise).

The only reason I got rid of it was because it was awful in the snow, even with 800lbs of sandbags in the bed, didnt help it at all. We moved to Idaho and I really wanted a SRW truck for the snow and the forest/BLM land roads.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post

Chris
    To the OP, this has been my experience as well. You're at the top of your range, but within the capabilities and capacity of the truck. Not necessarily a bad thing, just good to know. We've towed four similar weight fifth wheels with SRW diesel F-350's or SRW Duramax 3500. You will want to be very careful with loading and will be at, near or over pin weight depending upon how you load. Fortunately, PIN weight does not reflect tire capacity or axle capacity of your tow vehicle, so you will want to dig a little deeper than the yellow sticker on the door. In a perfect world I try to stay within the yellow sticker cargo capacity weight. In the real world, I consider the carrying capacity of the tires and axles of the tow vehicle. You will find that the Yellow sticker is more relevant to registration and taxation than real truck limits. I am actually adding a carrier rack to the receiver hitch to load a couple of hundred lbs of tools etc. This is going to add a counterweight and take some weight off of the pin and also keep my front storage from weighing as heavily. It's a delicate balance, but we've got over 40,000 miles towing these weights with SRW diesels.

I would strongly recommend Timbrin or Sumo springs for the truck. They are inexpensive and make a huge difference. No squat and very stable towing. I am adding them to the trailer as well. You will be good to go...like you, I don't want a dually.

To Chris...I'm new to the Solitude 310-GK. Is the freshwater tank behind the axles? I'm still trying to figure this rig out!
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast