User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maxxair Fan Dead?

Hello GD family. Looking for some help with a Maxxair fan. We have a 2019 354M with one Maxxair in the kitchen and one in the bathroom. The kitchen unit is working fine. The bathroom unit is not working this spring but was working last fall. The fan is not responding to any of the 4 buttons on the control panel and will not start the fan or open the lid. So far I swapped the control panel from kitchen to bathroom and same result: kitchen works, bathroom does not. I also swapped the circuit boards with the same result: kitchen works, bathroom does not. I tested the power to the fan, and I have a nice 13.71 volts. When connecting the fan to power, the unit attempts to close the lid, which should be a good sign... but that's it. Still no response to control panel buttons. The results are the same whether the rain sensor is connected to the circuit board or not. What else is there to check? All suggestions are welcome.

I was not sure to post this under HVAC or Electrical section...
    Last edited by MN_Rider; 04-10-2021 at 11:26 AM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MN_Rider View Post
    Hello GD family. Looking for some help with a Maxxair fan. We have a 2019 354M with one Maxxair in the kitchen and one in the bathroom. The kitchen unit is working fine. The bathroom unit is not working this spring but was working last fall. The fan is not responding to any of the 4 buttons on the control panel and will not start the fan or open the lid. So far I swapped the control panel from kitchen to bathroom and same result: kitchen works, bathroom does not. I also swapped the circuit boards with the same result: kitchen works, bathroom does not. I tested the power to the fan, and I have a nice 13.71 volts. When connecting the fan to power, the unit attempts to close the lid, which should be a good sign... but that's it. Still no response to control panel buttons. The results are the same whether the rain sensor is connected to the circuit board or not. What else is there to check? All suggestions are welcome.

I have had to fix ours twice now in 6 years. Took the cover off on the roof and cleaned the connections. Worked both times.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I have had to fix ours twice now in 6 years. Took the cover off on the roof and cleaned the connections. Worked both times.
    Thanks WhittleBurner... what connections am I looking for under the lid? Rain sensor?
    MN_Rider

2019 354M Momentum
    2013 F350 CCSB 6.7

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks WhittleBurner... what connections am I looking for under the lid? Rain sensor?
    There`Trying to remember now if there was one or two connections. Anyway you will see it when you open it up. Take the wire off and clean it. I keep telling myself to put some dialectc grease on it but I keep forgetting to get some. I Think there is one inside but you would have to get to it by taking the ring off inside.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also check the rain sensor. It is just two traces on a PC board accessible from on top of the trailer. Lift the lid (will have to do that manually) and clean off the contacts. On our unit, if there is anything on the sensor (that is sees as "rain") the only thing the fan will do is close the lid.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the ideas. I found the issue. The cable between the controller and the circuit board got severed. Not sure how but it was a clean cut up in the ceiling. This cable looks like a phone cable and even has RJ11 connectors. I had a spare phone cable and tested it but it must have been wired differently because it did not work. I ended up splicing the original cable back together and it worked. I had to snake the cable back up the wall, under the AC duct work and back to the fan. Good thing the bathroom door trim is screwed to the wall. I was able to get the cable run, fan tested and everything buttoned up today. Score one for the DIY repair.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    MN_Rider

2019 354M Momentum
    2013 F350 CCSB 6.7