User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Husky Centerline hitch breakage

Came back from a short camping trip last weekend, and while backing the trailer into its spot I hear a loud POP. This hitch makes a lot of noise anyhow, so I got out and looked but didn't notice anything obvious. Later, when taking the hitch off I found the passenger side trunnion bolt had completely broken:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210404_203301156.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	33329

It took a while but I was able to find the nut side and eventually the washer as well:

Name:	PXL_20210404_211435447.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	33330

But unfortunately there was more damage - it looks like the top plate on the passenger side has actually bent. of course this thing is just about 3 months out of warranty.

Name:	PXL_20210410_171623927.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	33331

The 'good' bolt on the other trunnion is not exactly confidence inspiring either:

Name:	PXL_20210410_171732032.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	33332

Not sure what I have been doing wrong - to put the trailer away (imagine 2500RL - well within spec of this hitch - it has the 1400lb bars) into my spot at home I do have to negotiate up a pretty good uphill transition which I have to approach from an angle to reduce the overall incline, then straighten out once the trailer tires get on the slope. I suspect this could put some extra pressure on the trunnion - but I would figure the springs would bend more before this kind of damage happened. I have thought about taking the springs off before backing the trailer up, but I am concerned with the max tongue weight of 600lbs without springs.

Anyone had something similar happen with the Husky Centerline? All I can say is I'm super happy this happened at home and not while we were 800 miles away in Utah a few weeks ago!
    2020 imagine 2500rl; 2021 F250 Tremor 7.3
    youtube: @bobanddangsjourney

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use to have a Reese dual cam hitch and I broke that twice. Both time I was backing and turning at the same time. Needless to say after the second time I began removing the bars from the hitch before backing in.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jparise View Post
    I use to have a Reese dual cam hitch and I broke that twice. Both time I was backing and turning at the same time. Needless to say after the second time I began removing the bars from the hitch before backing in.
    Thanks for the response - I'm not familiar with the Reese - but the Husky states that max tongue weight without the springs is 600lbs, which I am quite a bit over (why I have not been removing them). Is there a similar restriction on the Reese ?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be contact Husky and sending these pics. We were sold the same wdh, it works as advertised but it sure is noisy. I picked it because I was told that we didn't have to disengage while backing up.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    I'd be contact Husky and sending these pics. We were sold the same wdh, it works as advertised but it sure is noisy. I picked it because I was told that we didn't have to disengage while backing up.
    You don’t have to

I am quite sure the op has a distinct situation causing his hitch to fail

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick followup:. I did get in touch with husky support just to see what they suggested. They recommended I remove the bars before backing into my spot. Said going over the barless tongue weight (600lbs) for that short of a time should not be a problem.

I sent them the bolts but engineer has not yet had a chance to review. I doubt they are going to shed a lot of light on this situation - it didnt look to me like the failure was due to poor quality.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, this engineer thinks there's no light to shed. The incline you mentioned is likely steep enough that you simply overloaded. That intact bolt says it all. If the engineer contacts you, you can save him and yourself a ton of words by taking a picture of your rig on the incline with the tow vehicle as level as it is - meaning capturing the extreme-most angle from level. Take the picture broadside. He'll be able to plot and measure the geometry and run the analysis knowing also the weights of your camper. Free advice, take it or leave it, a failed WDH is unreliable, unpredictable and should be discarded. If Husky tells you anything else, ask for it in writing on their letterhead.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Honestly, this engineer thinks there's no light to shed. The incline you mentioned is likely steep enough that you simply overloaded. That intact bolt says it all. If the engineer contacts you, you can save him and yourself a ton of words by taking a picture of your rig on the incline with the tow vehicle as level as it is - meaning capturing the extreme-most angle from level. Take the picture broadside. He'll be able to plot and measure the geometry and run the analysis knowing also the weights of your camper. Free advice, take it or leave it, a failed WDH is unreliable, unpredictable and should be discarded. If Husky tells you anything else, ask for it in writing on their letterhead.
    Yes, I have not had the trailer back out yet since I didn't have a way to connect to the truck. I should have mentioned - I did buy a new hitch head for this (that is basically everything except the shank - which is fine) so I feel like I'm working with a new hitch now. When I drive it out next week I will take the photo you suggest. Thanks