Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Axles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Axles

What are your thoughts on 2 axels vs 3 axels on the larger heavy rigs?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the 3 axles on the large rigs are good. My 399 was very close to 20k and even with 3 7k axles, my springs went flat, cant imagine how that would have worked with 2 axles. I replaced all the springs myself when I noticed some of them starting to look flat.

It's probably less stress on the suspension when backing up with 2 axles vs 3 axles. It looked like some serious tire scrubbing when backing up my 399 on tight angles, doesnt seem so much the case on my 311. It could all be in my head though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had both and the triple definitely has an uglier appearance when turning tight (I try to avoid it if at all possible.) BUT, I like the triple for much better margin for GVWR vs. actual weight on axles. The triple is also better in sand as there is more ground contact to spread the weight and more tires/brakes for stopping. Down side... more tires, brakes, bearings etc. to maintain.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dual axle will handle better for maneuvering and obviously has less mechanical components that have to be managed and maintained. As noted, the primary benefit of a triple axle layout is additional ground contact, so less impression on soft ground, more contact for traction/better braking power (2 additional brakes), less stress on individual components in suspension.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)