Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 2600RB Cargo Capacity

We have a 2018 2600RB, with the 3,400 lbs axles. It has a GVWR of only 6.995 lbs, so very limited cargo capacity. I believe they started putting 4.400# axles maybe in 2020, and increased the cargo capacity by about 1.000 lbs. Other than presumably springs/suspension, does anyone know if they also upgraded the frame at all? I.e. if we put on the 4.400 lbs axles and changed out the suspension, would we then have the same 7,850 CCC that the new 2600RB's have? (Whether "certified" or not.). I've seen several posts about upgrading the axles/suspension: if memory serves seems like it was a $3-$4K job?

We like to boondock, but can't really carry much water without being overweight; which is of course a big problem. We've replaced the mattress with a Casper, which is pretty heavy; and I built step platforms for each side of the bed as the Casper makes it pretty high, and those add weight. Other than that though we really don't load up with a lot of heavy stuff, so don't see much room to solve the problem with being able to carry water by lightening our load in other areas.

I've heard people say Dexter replaced their axles for them at no cost, but I'm not sure how/why. I see recalls on various Dexter axles on various Grand Design models, but not on the 2108 2600RB's with the 3,400 lbs axles. We haven't had any problems with them. And we're the second owners.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only a call to Grand Design or a consultation with a real engineer will answer this question for you definitively. GD may answer the frame modification question; they almost certainly won't say anything about any increased CCC on your trailer. It's a legal thing. I can, however, tell you the situation with the Solitude 310GK and you can form your own opinion from there. The 310GKs originally came off the line with 7K axles and a GVWR of 15,000 lbs. A while back, GD started offering an 8K axle upgrade along with EOH disc brakes and 17.5" load range H tires. The new GVWR on the sticker is 18,000 lbs... with no changes to the chassis.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dexter makes a heavier 3" axle but it's still rated at 3500#. At least you can reuse your brakes, drums, and wheels.
    If you go with 4400# axles they use 6-lug wheels. Now you're looking at springs, drums, wheels, and maybe brakes.
    Most 3500# tandem axle trailers have a GVW of 7500# or so, figuring 500# hitch weight.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK